Govende

RosieVelvet

Really Experienced
A long time ago, in a Usenet group far, far away,
A question was asked about the official name of the "@" symbol, and from there the discussion forked off to talk about the name(s) of #, ¶, and more. Then the game just. . . happened.

>> > What's a pilcrow?
>>
>> "¶" is a pilcrow. What's an octothorpe?
>
>"#" is an octothorpe. What's a virgule?

A virgule is an old keyboard instrument. What's a spinet?

A spinet is a small grove of trees. What's a copse?

A copse is an abandonment of religious faith. What's apostasy?

And so on.

The thread has continued unbroken for 22 years now, over several different media. Its current incarnation is on Facebook, you can find it and join in by searching for "Govende" (don't ask). There are currently several branch threads too.

So, shall we give it a go?

Shall I start?

What's erotica?

Erotica is a typo in the errata. What's second coming?

Second coming is like a double S, written somewhat like a B in German. What’s an eszett?

Last edited:
An eszett is popular slang for a Slavic fellow. What is nuclear fusion?

A conundrum is an Austrian weightlifter beating off.

What is a perk?

Technions are a class of elementary particles that are ignored by theorists.

What is a tie?

Nomenclature is a sacred grove where lesbians practise ritual bondage.

What is dill?

Reclamation is the act of advertising products during orgasm, a commercial practice inspired by the "I'll have what she's having" scene in When Harry Met Sally.

What is a belt?

Reclamation is the act of advertising products during orgasm, a commercial practice inspired by the "I'll have what she's having" scene in When Harry Met Sally.

What is a belt?

Could be a swig of whiskey--or perhaps something to hold up my pants.

What is paraphimosis?

A sceptre is the muscle that controls excretion.

My extremely bad, I didn't finish by providing the next word. I'm new at this. Thus I will provide two:

What is opprobrium?

What is ergot?

Ergot is a semi-precious stone known for turning cis people trans; opprobrium is a radioactive element rumoured to do the opposite.

What is a peacock?

Ergot is a semi-precious stone known for turning cis people trans; opprobrium is a radioactive element rumoured to do the opposite.

What is a peacock?

A peacock is a rare side effect of a raw vegan diet.

What is a carnival?

A carnival, of course, is a flesh market. A bumbershoot is an outmoded aristocratic pastime in which a group of horny lords pursue an ass through the woods.

What is a quill?

A carnival, of course, is a flesh market. A bumbershoot is an outmoded aristocratic pastime in which a group of horny lords pursue an ass through the woods.

What is a quill?

Quill is how valley girls and basic bitches describe a bottomless rosé brunch.

What is a panoply?

A zymurgist is someone who drinks wine from a vulva. True aficionados insist on sparkling white.

What is crimson?

A diphthong is a Dude (or Daughter or Date) I Purely Hate’s sexy underwear.

What’s an orchidectomy?

Orchidectomy is the act of catching the bridal bouquet.

I was going to ask what nipples are, but realised they are minor acts of plastic surgery. On a related note, perhaps, what is a 'tuck shop'?

Back