GOP Lawmaker Manages To Blame Abortion For Mass Shootings

pecksniff

Literotica Guru
HuffPost:

There’s a new contender for most absurd GOP scapegoat for gun violence.

Rep. Billy Long (R-Mo.) was asked during an interview with Missouri radio station The Eagle 93.9 on Wednesday whether there was any appetite among Republicans in Congress to pursue changes to gun laws. It came in the wake of a gunman’s massacre of 19 children and two teachers in Uvalde, Texas.

Long, who is running for the U.S. Senate, said guns aren’t the issue. He criticized proponents of gun control for “trying to blame an inanimate object for all of these tragedies.”

He said there are a few solutions but that the problem can be traced back to when abortion became legal nationwide.

“When I was growing up in Springfield, you had one or two murders a year,” he said. “Now we have two, three, four a week in Springfield, Missouri.

“So something has happened to our society. I go back to abortion, when we decided it was OK to murder kids in their mothers’ wombs. Life has no value to a lot of these folks.”

The data doesn’t support that claim. The Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade ruling in 1973 established abortion rights in the U.S.

In 1970, 499 murders were reported in Missouri. in 1975, the figure was 505. And in 2019, 568 murders were reported in the state.

Everything on the right about bad shit happening in the world boils down to some sort of "moral decay" that they blame the left for.

That's what happens when evangelicals are your go-to flavor of Kool aid and 45 is your leader.

It seems that Americans elect idiots.

Where do they come from?

I know there are family dynasties of US politicians. Perhaps they breed them.

Is there a secret college at Yale and Harvard to produce stupid politicians?

We in the UK are not exempt from electing idiots but they all seem capable of presenting their weird ideas in ways that appear logical and sensible until you think about what you have just heard and think - WTF?

Is the difference just training in rhetoric?

Consider the typical personality types who desire public office and then consider if you really want these people representing anyone. I can’t remember the last election of any type I’ve voted in that I truly believed in the person or their desire to help anyone but themselves. It’s always the lesser evil. Always.

Anyone notice how the Tulsa shooting is fading from the news? Black on black AR-15 shootings don't fit the Democrat narrative.

It's just as rational of an argument as blaming AR-15's for a lunatics with pistols issue.
I wonder...how has Australia dealt with mass killings? Why is it working? Are you telling me...Aussies are more sane than Americans?

I wonder...how has Australia dealt with mass killings? Why is it working? Are you telling me...Aussies are more sane than Americans?
After a mass killing, Australia passed gun control laws.

During a 1960 gun amnesty, some of my relations handed in two Sherman Tanks (with shells), a towed howitzer (also with shells) and several mortars.

No. They just talk smarter, but their statements can be just as looney. They sound better but it is an illusion.
I suspect that illusion was one of the underpinnings of Britain's erstwhile global dominance. Just being able to use words like "erstwhile" without looking silly.

Consider the typical personality types who desire public office and then consider if you really want these people representing anyone. I can’t remember the last election of any type I’ve voted in that I truly believed in the person or their desire to help anyone but themselves. It’s always the lesser evil. Always.
History is full of examples of public servants who were not like that. As is the present day -- it's not like we've decayed from some ideal state of Roman virtues.

History is full of examples of public servants who were not like that. As is the present day -- it's not like we've decayed from some ideal state of Roman virtues.

Yeah I’m well read myself and well taught.

Let’s hear some American politicians from my lifetime who fit that criteria.

Interesting choices.

And you think these people are free and clear of any personal bias or agenda and are only in politics to help their constituents.

This is what you’re saying?

Interesting choices.

And you think these people are free and clear of any personal bias or agenda and are only in politics to help their constituents.

This is what you’re saying?
They have bias and agenda, certainly, everybody does; but they really are in it to help, and not their own constituents alone. No RW politician breathing has that kind of sincerity.

They have bias and agenda, certainly, everybody does; but they really are in it to help, and not their own constituents alone. No RW politician breathing has that kind of sincerity.

I gotta say.. something tells me if a "right wing" politician did have such conviction to properly represent his or her constituency you would disagree with it anyway and call it something horrible. You would view that sincerity as something you disagree with. I respect that, but somewhat disagree.

I meet most in the middle. That said, I'd vote for Elizabeth Warren if I could. I think she would be the better centrist. She would be the better leader for all. Most neo cons would despise her, but rightly so. Fuck em.

The rest on your list can go suck a big bag of dicks. Their agenda is something I would vehemently disagree with and oppose..

To your point though, I know plenty of proper republicans who would be amazing, but the party isn't interested. Not MAGA enough, or conservative enough.. but proper republicans all the same. It's a shame ya'll are so biased and jaded.

Makes it extremely difficult to take anyone here seriously. Ya'll just wanna flame each other. The worst trolls don't take a position other than the popular, and that's sad. Sad for all of us who cant take a side. Both sides are awful. Sanders keeps little to his name. Warren makes no bones about being worth tens of millions. I respect that. AOC is trash. Much like the borough she represents. But you can "read" differently without ever having stepped foot in her district. You're just another copy/paster. No new ideas. Nothing you can't parrot.

Either way, I respect the differences.

Anyone notice how the Tulsa shooting is fading from the news? Black on black AR-15 shootings don't fit the Democrat narrative.
Or maybe it's because there have already been several other shootings since then. (Also, right or wrong, shootings that involve children tend to get more press.)

Having lived in both countries, I can say no, they are not more sane than Americans. When it comes to guns, though, there is a fundamental difference. While gun fetishists certainly exist here, they don't have an extremely well-funded amen corner keeping Parliament in its pocket.

Feel free to support that with actual.metrics else stfu

It seems that Americans elect idiots.

Where do they come from?

I know there are family dynasties of US politicians. Perhaps they breed them.

Is there a secret college at Yale and Harvard to produce stupid politicians?

We in the UK are not exempt from electing idiots but they all seem capable of presenting their weird ideas in ways that appear logical and sensible until you think about what you have just heard and think - WTF?

Is the difference just training in rhetoric?
And this is the country that “saved the world from Naziism.” How are the mighty fallen? 😢

I live in hope. I was waiting for Vasya Petrovitch, but instead we got a greedy, power mad oligarch who wanted to use the flag as a sex toy. 😢

Back