From the Witchfinder's Files, Tale II: The Innocent Malice

Her eyes snapped open at the sound of the door opening and then she felt cloth hitting her. She pulled them down as she heard him and looked at the tattered clothes he had given her. Slowly she stood, putting them on she followed him out.

How pliant she was! So different from the stubborn girl he had first led into these dark chambers... that was how he liked his witches! When he arrived in the upper chamber with his captive, the head judge, a severe old man in blood-red robes, was already waiting for him.

Head down the entire time she was aware of the others in the room and just stood there looking down at the floor as people all around the court shouted and the old man in front of her spoke.

After dispensing with the formalities, the Witchfinder quite gently took the witch's face and turned it towards the judge, forcing her to look directly at him as he asked: "Do you confirm the confession as laid down in this protocol?"

She felt his hard grip and didnt fight as he moved her head up to look at the old man in front of her, not able to nod as he held her head she simply replied, "yes."

The old judge nodded slowly, then stood up to his full height as he, somewhat theatrically, proclaimed the death sentence over her. In a week, she would burn as a witch.

She tried not to show any emotion as she heard him but the words struck fear into her but even as she was lead away she refused and blinked so hard to stop tears from streaming down her face.

He could see the tears welling up in her eyes as he walked by her side, leading her back to her cell.

"Show some strength, witch!", he hissed, "How small is the pain of burning here compared to burning in hell! I pray that your sins may be forgiven, so that you do not have to experience that!"

She just walked head down, she heard his words but ignored them as she walked back into th cell walked into the far corner curling up in the corner and still she jumped at the heavy sound of the cell door closing.

After having given her a night to let her fate sink in, he was back late the next morning, to check up on her. He secretly hoped that she would eventually find some courage. Crying, begging messes did not find favour with the people, who preferred steadfast, courageous condemned.

She was curled up in the corner her eyes closed but they opened as the door opened and she looked up at him.

He was not merely here to check up on his prisoner. During the evening, he had made a plan. A plan that, admittedly, was mostly fueled by the fact that this woman fascinated him...

"Good morning", he said quite loudly as he entered the cell

She opened her eyes and sat up as he walked in and as he spoke and greeted her she looked over at him and wondered what he was about to do next.

"I offer you one last possibility to save your life... although maybe you would consider it worse than death..."

She looked at him with a little smile, "you are not the judge that sentenced me, but I will humur you, go on..."

"Humor me?!", he shouted angrily and gave her a kick in the stomach for her insolence. "Will you listen to my offer or not?"

She screamed, curling up her arms around her body as she coughed and spluttered from his kick finally able to sit herself up once more still feeling the pain. "I will listen" she said looking up at him.

"Good. My offer is simple: I need someone to help me with my duties, and if you choose to enter my service, I can arrange for your life to be spared. Do you accept or not?"

She sat back looking at him the pain from her stomach still raw and throbbing she knew she would have a big bruise there, "you want me to help you torture others?" she looked up at him asking, "after what you have done, you want me to work for you?" she added.

He shrugged his shoulders: "Well, the alternative is burning to death in horrible pain in just a week. If I were you, I would consider my offer slightly more carefully."

It was true, he needed a helper. But there was more. Something in him wanted to keep this girl alive...

"Pain for a few seconds as opposed working for you and pain for, well forever." Jayne turned her head and looked awy from him burying her head in her hands once more.

He spit out in contempt and slammed the cell door shut. "You had your chance to survive, foolish girl. Now you die in pain because you are too proud to save yourself..."

She shook in fright as the sound of the door rang around the small cell. Turning she curled up in the corner hearing as he stormed off hearing the outer door slamming shut with just as much force as tears once more began to trickle down her face.

He was still furious when he returned the next day, and he fully acknowledged to himself that this came from a single wish - he did not want to lose this woman. He did not want to burn her to death, to die of her own pride. If he had to hurt her in order to save her... oh well.

With this in mind, he made a rather forceful entry when he entered her cell the next day, long before sunrise, and woke her up with a kick to the back.

She was waking up, the sound of the door enough to do that but before she had time to pull herself up into the corner she felt it. With a scream and a groan she felt a heavy boot kicking her back, as she tried to get up the force from the kick pushed her into the walls of the cell and she groaned as she hit her head hard on the stone wall and slumped down to the floor. Laying there panting as her body cried out in pain she heard whoever it was step up to her, standing over her.

Back