Florida Supreme Court Abortion Referendum decision today!

RobDownSouth

Never Banhammered
Governor Ron DeSantis and his minions have done everything they could to keep a constitutional amendment referendum legalizing abortion off the Florida ballot in November.

The public provided one MILLION verified voter signatures to get the question placed on the ballot.

In a last ditch effort, Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody, a craven and cowardly Republican toady, has argued that the language to be put on the ballot is "too vague".

The Republican-stacked Florida Supreme Court is expected to rule today on whether women shall have bodily autonomy or not.

Not if women shall have bodily autonomy or not, but if we as residents of Florida can vote on if women in Florida have bodily autonomy or not.

Voters better vote.

Governor Ron DeSantis and his minions have done everything they could to keep a constitutional amendment referendum legalizing abortion off the Florida ballot in November.

The public provided one MILLION verified voter signatures to get the question placed on the ballot.

In a last ditch effort, Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody, a craven and cowardly Republican toady, has argued that the language to be put on the ballot is "too vague".

The Republican-stacked Florida Supreme Court is expected to rule today on whether women shall have bodily autonomy or not.
So, let them rule. It's a state issue.

Similar thing is happening in California. About 1.4 million registered voters signed a petition to place a citizens ballot initiative that amends the state constitution on the November ballot. It’s qualified but Governor Newsom has asked the state Supreme Court to have it withheld from the ballot. Doesn’t want to give voters a voice. The court has not acted yet and it’s unclear if will even respond.

Similar thing is happening in California. About 1.4 million registered voters signed a petition to place a citizens ballot initiative that amends the state constitution on the November ballot. It’s qualified but Governor Newsom has asked the state Supreme Court to have it withheld from the ballot. Doesn’t want to give voters a voice. The court has not acted yet and it’s unclear if will even respond.
Which one are you referencing?" I can find a lot on Proposition 1, but nothing on one that Newsom si trying to halt.

Comshaw

Which one are you referencing?" I can find a lot on Proposition 1, but nothing on one that Newsom si trying to halt.

Comshaw
It’s called the Taxpayer Protection And Government Accountability Act (TPA), backed by the Howard Jarvis Taxpayer Association and other taxpayer groups. It would restore and bolster Prop 13 protections that have been chipped away over the years and require greater transparency for new tax proposals. The Democrats that control all branches of government in the state are scared shitless that it will pass. In response, the legislature has placed two counter measures on the ballot. ACA 1 lowers the Prop 13 two thirds majority requirement for new local taxes to 55% and ACA 13 is written and designed to ensure that TPA and future initiatives like it never pass. (These have not been assigned numbers yet.)

November will represent the most impactful election for CA taxpayers since 1978. In addition to these 3 measures, there will be a number of new local parcel tax measures on the ballot.

https://www.ocregister.com/2024/02/...ainst-the-taxpayer-protection-act-dont-stick/

It’s called the Taxpayer Protection And Government Accountability Act (TPA), backed by the Howard Jarvis Taxpayer Association and other taxpayer groups. It would restore and bolster Prop 13 protections that have been chipped away over the years and require greater transparency for new tax proposals. The Democrats that control all branches of government in the state are scared shitless that it will pass. In response, the legislature has placed two counter measures on the ballot. ACA 1 lowers the Prop 13 two thirds majority requirement for new local taxes to 55% and ACA 13 is written and designed to ensure that TPA and future initiatives like it never pass. (These have not been assigned numbers yet.)

November will represent the most impactful election for CA taxpayers since 1978. In addition to these 3 measures, there will be a number of new local parcel tax measures on the ballot.

https://www.ocregister.com/2024/02/...ainst-the-taxpayer-protection-act-dont-stick/
Here's the rub. It doesn't have anything to do with Newsom not wanting to give the voters a voice and everything to do with hamstringing and slowing down an already ponderous government. Below is a link to the text of the proposition. Some of the things it will do:

" Every levy. charge. or exaction of any kind imposed by local law is either a tax or an exempt charge."

There are exceptions noted, but ANYTHING other than those exceptions charged by a local government (like school levies, fees for water or sewer service, fees associated with an irrigation district, a local weed control board) would be subject to a 2/3 vote of the state legislature and a simple majority voter approval.
"Any change in state statute which results in any taxpayer paying a new or higher tax must
be imposed by an act passed by not less than two-thirds of all members elected to each of the two houses
of the Legislature, and submitted to the electorate and approved by a majority vote, except that no new
ad valorem taxes on real property, or sales or transaction taxes on the sales of real property, may be
imposed."

This isn't a matter of Newsom not wanting to give the voters a voice. It's a matter of a very shoddily written initiative that will in effect slow the already glacial pace of government almost to a standstill.

After reading through this I wouldn't vote for it. Unfortunately, people don't take the time to read through such things and educate themselves on what it will do. Instead, they rely on others to tell them what it says, so are subject to the interpretation of those they listen to.

The Taxpayer Protection and Government Accountability Act

Comshaw

Here's the rub. It doesn't have anything to do with Newsom not wanting to give the voters a voice and everything to do with hamstringing and slowing down an already ponderous government.
https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/initiatives/pdfs/Title and Summary (21-0042A1).pdf
Lol. It has everything to do with Newsom wanting to deny voters their right to decide.

The California measure the governor and 'Legislature' want to block from the ballot​

https://www.kcra.com/article/california-legislature-against-tax-raise-measure/46033282

https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/initiatives/pdfs/Title and Summary (21-0042A1).pdf
Lol. It has everything to do with Newsom wanting to deny voters their right to decide.

The California measure the governor and 'Legislature' want to block from the ballot​

https://www.kcra.com/article/california-legislature-against-tax-raise-measure/46033282
Interesting. Did you read all of my post or just knee-jerk to the first sentence? Have you even read through the measure?

If I remember right you are one that has argued we are under a Republic form of government, IE; that we voice our opinions as voters THROUGH the officials we elect and send to the legislature. What this measure does is establish a direct Democratic form of government where the voters must approve DIRECTLY government actions. So which is it?

Additionally, you ignored all the points I made about the repercussions of this measure and the harm it will do to the functioning of governments AT ALL LEVELS in California and by extension all its constituents. Can you address those? If not why not?

Comshaw

Interesting. Did you read all of my post or just knee-jerk to the first sentence? Have you even read through the measure?

If I remember right you are one that has argued we are under a Republic form of government, IE; that we voice our opinions as voters THROUGH the officials we elect and send to the legislature. What this measure does is establish a direct Democratic form of government where the voters must approve DIRECTLY government actions. So which is it?

Additionally, you ignored all the points I made about the repercussions of this measure and the harm it will do to the functioning of governments AT ALL LEVELS in California and by extension all its constituents. Can you address those? If not why not?

Comshaw
I read your full comment and responded to the part where you claim Newsom’s attempt to have the court block Californians from having their right to vote on the TPA “doesn't have anything to do with Newsom not wanting to give the voters a voice”

Comshaw
I’m not sure what prior posts of mine you’re referring to but in all likelihood, you’re referencing my statements about legislation belonging in the legislative branch of government rather than the judicial branch. Laws are passed by legislators who are elected by the people they represent. The state of California (and other states) have constitutions that provide mechanisms for citizens to place measures on the ballot as well. It’s very common.

I’m not sure what prior posts of mine you’re referring to but in all likelihood, you’re referencing my statements about legislation belonging in the legislative branch of government rather than the judicial branch. Laws are passed by legislators who are elected by the people they represent. The state of California (and other states) have constitutions that provide mechanisms for citizens to place measures on the ballot as well. It’s very common.
firstly, you seem to be arguing that I believe the Initiative process is what's being debated. It isn't. What is, is the content of this PARTICULAR measure and what it will do to California.

As far as The Initiative process, yes California does have that in the constitution citizens can place a measure on the ballot subject to the requirements set out in the constitution. BUT they do not have a provision to automatically require a vote on an action taken by the government. That is what this measure calls for, an automatic vote on any tax (defined in the measure as any charge levied by the government) which is direct Democracy and will slow the government to a crawl. What then? Is everyone who voted for this going to start to screaming because the water isn't flowing to their faucets because there are no funds to fix it and those funds will not be available until a tax is passed by the people and the legislature, which could take years?

I distinctly remember several discussions in the past where you, AJ and Ish all took exception to people using the term "Democracy" to refer to the government and insisted we are under a Republic. you all insisted we voice our voter opinions through our elected officials. that's what I'm referencing.

Comshaw

I distinctly remember several discussions in the past where ...
The point is not to even attempt to discuss anything with that bunch. They have no solid position other than to oppose whatever Humans think, say or feel. They are disruptors and agitators who change their words to fit the situation at the moment. They will support something if others are against it. If others change their minds and support that thing, they will oppose it and insist they always did.

firstly, you seem to be arguing that I believe the Initiative process is what's being debated. It isn't. What is, is the content of this PARTICULAR measure and what it will do to California.

As far as The Initiative process, yes California does have that in the constitution citizens can place a measure on the ballot subject to the requirements set out in the constitution. BUT they do not have a provision to automatically require a vote on an action taken by the government. That is what this measure calls for, an automatic vote on any tax (defined in the measure as any charge levied by the government) which is direct Democracy and will slow the government to a crawl. What then? Is everyone who voted for this going to start to screaming because the water isn't flowing to their faucets because there are no funds to fix it and those funds will not be available until a tax is passed by the people and the legislature, which could take years?

I distinctly remember several discussions in the past where you, AJ and Ish all took exception to people using the term "Democracy" to refer to the government and insisted we are under a Republic. you all insisted we voice our voter opinions through our elected officials. that's what I'm referencing.

Comshaw
If you want to try and find something specific that I’ve posted which contradicts my post on Gavin Newsom’s shameful effort to block the TPA citizen’s ballot initiative from the CA statewide ballot, knock yourself out.

It's interesting watching MAGA talk out of both sides of their mouths.

"We're not a Democracy, we're a Republic when it comes to old white men writing laws that affect women's bodily autonomy...anything else is MOB RULE"

but then

"We're not a Republic, we're a Democracy and teh MOB decides whether or not we get to raise taxes!"

Talk about trying to have your cake and eat it too!

We're a situational Democratic Republic! Derp! Derp! Derp!
Project 2025 is comin' down the track..choo choo!

It's interesting watching MAGA talk out of both sides of their mouths.

"We're not a Democracy, we're a Republic when it comes to old white men writing laws that affect women's bodily autonomy...anything else is MOB RULE"

but then

"We're not a Republic, we're a Democracy and teh MOB decides whether or not we get to raise taxes!"

Talk about trying to have your cake and eat it too!

We're a situational Democratic Republic! Derp! Derp! Derp!
Project 2025 is comin' down the track..choo choo!
Rob, if you’re implying that I made this statement, please use the quote feature so we can verify attribution and context. Or if you’re just randomly copying and pasting stuff from other people to support a straw man argument, just say so. Thanks.

Rob, if you’re implying that I made this statement, please use the quote feature so we can verify attribution and context. Or if you’re just randomly copying and pasting stuff from other people to support a straw man argument, just say so. Thanks.
You didn't and he won't.

Back