First time author requesting (nay, begging for) editor

starscape

Experienced
Hi everyone,

After spending years enjoying so many of the stories on Literotica, I finally decided it was time to lose my virginity and try my hand at writing a story.

I have been working on this thing for weeks, rather obsessively. I've wanted to have someone take a look at it before submitting the story, but after I read through the Volunteer Editor FAQ's, I was deterred by the idea of possibly having to wait days just for the initial response to my request. Added to the probable turnaround time, I was just too impatient to go through with it. I have some proofreading/editing experience myself, so I convinced/deluded myself into thinking I could catch the errors on my own.

Well, what I'm finding is that I'm just too damn close to the story, and I'm being foiled by my own impatience. I've been working on it so intensely for such a prolonged period that every time I read it over I find a fresh typo, and I've finally decided to wave the white flag and ask/plead for help.

I'm submitting the story to the Erotic Couplings category. In addition to oral/vaginal sex and masturbation, it includes some elements/episode(s) of voyeurism/exhibitionism, anal and rough(ish) sex.

The story is in three parts, and has a total word count of ~38.5K, so it's not going to be a quick read. Just thought you should know that.

Here is the beginning of Part 1:

The bush plane shook as it flew into a current of air. Julia gripped the seat, the blood leaving her knuckles.

“Just a little turbulence,” the pilot said cheerfully, as if in response to her unspoken fear. “These little planes get tossed around more easily than the jets you’re probably used to, but don’t you worry. I’ve been flying out in the bush for twenty seven years and haven’t met a current yet that I couldn’t navigate.”

That calmed her a little. Julia took a deep breath and loosened her hold of the seat enough so that the color returned to her hands. She gave a nervous laugh. “Oh I’m not worried,” she lied, betrayed by her shaking voice. “Uncle Ray assured me that you’re one of the best, so I know I’m in good hands.”

The pilot eyed her curiously. “I must admit I’m a little surprised that Ray’d agree to let his young niece stay alone at his cabin for an entire year. You do know you’ll be nearly three miles from the nearest neighbor, and a good fourteen miles from town with no road to get you there? It could get awfully lonesome in that little cabin those long cold winter months.”

“Believe me, it wasn’t easy to convince my uncle. It took me three years to persuade him, and he agreed only under certain conditions,” Julia explained. “He’ll be flying out here in September to check in on me, and then he plans to return in January as well. He’s also made arrangements with his neighbor to stop by from time to time.

“Uncle Ray stocked up enough firewood to last me the whole year, so I have plenty of fuel, and I intend to have enough food on hand at any given time to last me for months.”

She continued, “Besides, if worse comes to worse, I can always take his snowmobile, I mean snowmachine,” she corrected, reminding herself to use local terminology, “into town and rent a room if living off the grid ends up being too much for me to deal with. That was another one of my uncle’s conditions, and he arranged a place for me to stay if it comes to that.”

“Well, it sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it,” the pilot admitted, “and it’s good you have a backup plan. My apologies; I didn’t mean to pry. It’s just that a lot of folks get these romantic ideas about living here, and those who aren’t properly prepared...”

He said no more, and didn’t need to; she knew what he was going to say.

“I know it’s not going to be easy,” Julia acknowledged. “I’d like to think I’m a resourceful person, though, and I do have wilderness and survival experience.”

“Well, that’s good. You’ll likely need to use those skills before your year is up.”

Julia nodded her agreement, and turned her eyes to the window, soaking in the Alaskan landscape as the plane’s shadow skimmed along the undulating, tree covered surface below, following their path.

Even now she saw a moose rising from the surface of a shimmering lake that was bordered by a thick swath of trees. Far in the distance the snow covered mountains rose bold and majestic, welcoming her to her new home. This was the romance the pilot was talking about, Julia thought in awe, a giddy grin splitting her face; this place was amazingly, breathtakingly beautiful.

It was some time before the pilot finally spoke. “Well, we’re coming to it.”

Julia looked up, her eyes following his pointing finger. A wide ribbon of water came into view from behind the trees. In the distance she could see a small clearing with a cabin and other small buildings on it, and then another. Must be her “neighbor”, she thought to herself with a smile. Beyond that, a little further in the distance, she saw the buildings and homes of tiny Eagle Eye, Alaska.

The cabins, and then the town, seemed deceptively close together from this vantage point, but Julia knew she would be effectively cut off from them. Never had she lived so far from a town, let alone the nearest house. She felt a thrill of excitement for the adventure looming, right now, before her, and her stomach flipped a little.

“Hold on tight, darlin'. We’re going in.”

Julia braced herself with her hands, her whole body tight. A soundless prayer formed behind her lips. Breathe, she reminded herself, don’t forget to breathe. Flying made her uncomfortable, it always had, but the worst part was taking off. And landing. Damn, that clearing looks awfully short.

~~~~

Mostly what I'm looking for is for someone to:

1) Proofread it for typos, misspellings, punctuation, etc. I know a couple of times I noticed that I'd written "his" when I meant "her", for example.

2) Help me tighten up phrases or passages where I get too wordy (my Achilles heel) or unnecessarily use passive voice. I've gone through and done quite a bit of slicing myself, so I (crossing my fingers) hope this won't be something the editor will need to do too extensively. Nevertheless, if I've taken twenty words to describe something that could be more effectively conveyed in ten, I'd appreciate that feedback.

3) Provide a general overview of his/her impressions of my story. Do the characters behave/speak consistently (and/or distinctively)? Does the plot move logically and at a pace that engages the reader throughout? Do I have any obvious factual errors? Did I tie up the loose ends? I welcome specific suggestions, especially if something particularly sticks out as needing attention.

4) Be willing to give me a turnaround time of, say, five days or less if at all possible. Okay, okay, the impatient girl in me would really, REALLY like it back within three days, but I also recognize that you folks, unlike me apparently ;-), probably have busy lives. Nonetheless, I'm letting you know ahead of time my preferences here because it was hard enough for me to put off submitting this thing yet again, and I'm afraid I couldn't bear to wait another two weeks.

Like I mentioned before, this story has taken a life of its own, to the point of obsession, and I'm seriously starting to feel the only way to finally let go of it is to get the fucker submitted as soon as possible. It's important to me that the story is one of good quality, but at the same time I do not want to keep working on it for another four weeks. I need to move on! :-D

Pretty please, will someone help me out?

Thank you so much for your consideration! I really appreciate that you folks are willing to volunteer your services!

~ starscape

That's a lot of words to go through in a short time and catch everything, in my opinion. Just sayin'.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Well, rats, I was afraid of that. What would you say would be a more reasonable time frame? I don't want to be unrealistic. Would it make a difference if I skipped the other requests and just made it primarily about proofreading?

Sigh. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as pushy.

I've written plenty over the years, but I've done very little creative writing since I was a teenager. All I set out to do was write a erotic story for my personal enjoyment. I wasn't sure I even wanted to post it on the site when I first decided to put my fingers to the keyboard. But when the idea I had for a brief little interlude began evolving into a specific universe inhabited by characters I cared about, I started to think that maybe it would be worth the risk to share what I'd created with others.

I don't have any (many ;-) illusions of this story being some brilliant piece of creative genius that will move people to tears. I'm sure I've made plenty of newbie mistakes in its telling and structure. But it has moved me, more than I ever expected or intended, and I just want it to leave the nest so I can get back to my everyday life.

I'm proud of what I've written, and I'm glad I did, but if I knew when I first sat down to do this how draining it would be, I don't know if I would've been quite so eager...

I suppose if I don't have any takers I could submit the damn thing anyway, and cross my fingers that I caught all the references to "his ass" when I really meant "hers". ;-)

Last edited:
If you want a good job then you shouldn't worry about a time frame. Let the editor go over it without the weight of a deadline over them. I give the authors I help a general idea of when I can begin on their story. Meaning I might have work to finish for someone else first or plans in my personal life. I also update them if something unforeseen happens. (Recent days that included losing my internet service through the fault of my server.)

That's the case right now. I have an author I just agreed to help this week but I also have plans for the weekend.

I understand being close to a story that you've written. If you're really proud of your work then you will want it to be the best it can be. Waiting longer for an edit shouldn't be an issue to me, then.

I'll look at it for you next week sometime if you want to wait that long. Otherwise, good luck.

If you want a good job then you shouldn't worry about a time frame. Let the editor go over it without the weight of a deadline over them. I give the authors I help a general idea of when I can begin on their story. Meaning I might have work to finish for someone else first or plans in my personal life. I also update them if something unforeseen happens. (Recent days that included losing my internet service through the fault of my server.)

That's the case right now. I have an author I just agreed to help this week but I also have plans for the weekend.

I understand being close to a story that you've written. If you're really proud of your work then you will want it to be the best it can be. Waiting longer for an edit shouldn't be an issue to me, then.

I'll look at it for you next week sometime if you want to wait that long. Otherwise, good luck.

You have talent. If you'd be willing to subject yourself to my editing, I'd be willing to take you on. Have a few stories under my belt, so to speak. Not college-smart, just have a sense for it. Know what sounds right and wrong.

The choice is yours.

Hi AsylumSeeker,

If you'd be willing to subject yourself to my editing

^ Just curious, does this mean you are a brutal editor, or were you just being self-deprecating? ;-)

I thank both you and MistressLynn for your kind offers to edit my story. I hope you don't mind, but I checked out your profiles to read a couple of your stories and found that I liked both your styles very much. It would be an honor to be helped by either one of you.

AsylumSeeker, one thing that intrigued me about your profile is that you are retired military, and my male protagonist, while civilian, is (intended to be) a rugged outdoorsman, not super open about his feelings but emotional under the surface (Ohhh sa-woon! ;-). I think it would be interesting to get the perspective of a man--who probably spent his career working with a lot of manly men ;-)--regarding the authenticity of this male character. Personally, he rocks my world--LOL--but it would be neat to know if he comes off realistically from a male reader's point of view as well.

MistressLynn said that she wouldn't be able to review my story until sometime next week; do you have other authors in the queue as well? Since I would like to submit this story sooner rather than later, I'm a little ashamed to admit I'm slightly more inclined to go with the individual who can look at my story soonest. If you can do that, AsylumSeeker, I'd like to take you up on your offer. I will very much endeavor to take MistressLynn's advice to heart about not being so impatient about the turnaround time; nevertheless, if I can shave a few days off by having someone who's more immediately available to edit my story, I'll take it. ;-)

Thanks again, to both of you.

~ starscape

Hi AsylumSeeker,

^ Just curious, does this mean you are a brutal editor, or were you just being self-deprecating? ;-)

I thank both you and MistressLynn for your kind offers to edit my story. I hope you don't mind, but I checked out your profiles to read a couple of your stories and found that I liked both your styles very much. It would be an honor to be helped by either one of you.

AsylumSeeker, one thing that intrigued me about your profile is that you are retired military, and my male protagonist, while civilian, is (intended to be) a rugged outdoorsman, not super open about his feelings but emotional under the surface (Ohhh sa-woon! ;-). I think it would be interesting to get the perspective of a man--who probably spent his career working with a lot of manly men ;-)--regarding the authenticity of this male character. Personally, he rocks my world--LOL--but it would be neat to know if he comes off realistically from a male reader's point of view as well.

MistressLynn said that she wouldn't be able to review my story until sometime next week; do you have other authors in the queue as well? Since I would like to submit this story sooner rather than later, I'm a little ashamed to admit I'm slightly more inclined to go with the individual who can look at my story soonest. If you can do that, AsylumSeeker, I'd like to take you up on your offer. I will very much endeavor to take MistressLynn's advice to heart about not being so impatient about the turnaround time; nevertheless, if I can shave a few days off by having someone who's more immediately available to edit my story, I'll take it. ;-)

Thanks again, to both of you.

~ starscape

Looks like my spare time has been occupied.

^ Bless your heart. LOL.

I honestly hope it won't be too much of an ordeal for you! ;-) :-D

I owe you one.

Wow, I'm blessed! What a wonderful author! Great story I would have otherwise missed. A sheer pleasure to read and edit. Highly recommend reading once done.

Don't miss this one!

Volunteer Editors ROCK!

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to all of you unsung heroes of the Volunteer Editing program. You people seriously rock!

New authors, it's WORTH THE WAIT to have someone edit your story. This is coming from someone who was VERY reluctant to ask for an editor due to my own impatience/overeagerness to submit my story.

Extra special thanks to MistressLynn for being honest enough to tell me what I didn't want to hear (i.e., that I needed to be more patient and that it's worth the wait for the good of your story). Seeing the improvements my editor has suggested thus far has only made me feel better about the end product. You were absolutely right. :)

And super mega thanks to AsylumSeeker for taking on my opus. It is my understanding that he does not usually accept works of this length, so I am particularly appreciative of his willingness to give me a chance. It's really turned out to be a good fit and I couldn't be more pleased. :)

I will never doubt the wisdom of using a VE again.

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to all of you unsung heroes of the Volunteer Editing program. You people seriously rock!

New authors, it's WORTH THE WAIT to have someone edit your story. This is coming from someone who was VERY reluctant to ask for an editor due to my own impatience/overeagerness to submit my story.

Extra special thanks to MistressLynn for being honest enough to tell me what I didn't want to hear (i.e., that I needed to be more patient and that it's worth the wait for the good of your story). Seeing the improvements my editor has suggested thus far has only made me feel better about the end product. You were absolutely right. :)

And super mega thanks to AsylumSeeker for taking on my opus. It is my understanding that he does not usually accept works of this length, so I am particularly appreciative of his willingness to give me a chance. It's really turned out to be a good fit and I couldn't be more pleased. :)

I will never doubt the wisdom of using a VE again.

It's always good to hear that we're appreciated. :)

You're welcome. I knew I was right. ;)

It's always good to hear that we're appreciated. :)

You're welcome. I knew I was right. ;)

If nothing else she is free-flowing with thanks, which I do appreciate. Her opus is finally edited in its entirety and will likely be posted quickly. She does write quite well, better than most, and I recommend her three-chapter series for anyone interested in the wilderness, living life and loving on the edge.

If nothing else she is free-flowing with thanks, which I do appreciate. Her opus is finally edited in its entirety and will likely be posted quickly. She does write quite well, better than most, and I recommend her three-chapter series for anyone interested in the wilderness, living life and loving on the edge.

Gawd I love you man! Woo-hoo!

Thanks for the plug; I am submitting it tonight. :)

P.S. I already got a PM from someone who wants to read my story when it goes online! I am so excited! Yay!

P.P.S. Sorry for all the '!!!' but I'm really excited. Can you tell? ;)

Gawd I love you man! Woo-hoo!

Thanks for the plug; I am submitting it tonight. :)

P.S. I already got a PM from someone who wants to read my story when it goes online! I am so excited! Yay!

P.P.S. Sorry for all the '!!!' but I'm really excited. Can you tell? ;)

Should we enlighten her about the "trolls"? Ah, she'll find out about the "bad people" in good time...

Back