Do you own your body?

I have several mortgages on mine, but if I keep up the payments, and live long enough, I might just own it. Then again I am male. My wife owns her's though, but we are Canadian.

The state. A fetus. If you're a woman.

If you're a man, not so much.

Why are you asking? You haven't figured this out?
The Marquis de Sade proposed that all women, at some time in their lives, should be conscripted to serve in state brothels.

This bears consideration. If you're state property already, why not?

Yeah totally. It's a joke right. We must make it okay by making it a joke. Women as subcitizens is humorous.

Right?
Women as subcitizens is not a joke. Never has been, never will be. Yet it seems to be happening again in the US.

You asked the broad question, of "do you own your own body". That is not exactly the best way to start a thread for a serious discussion.

Women as subcitizens is not a joke. Never has been, never will be. Yet it seems to be happening again in the US.

You asked the broad question, of "do you own your own body". That is not exactly the best way to start a thread for a serious discussion.

I can't think of a better way. Especially as a woman who has been told that I don't own my own body.

Try harder.

I can't think of a better way. Especially as a woman who has been told that I don't own my own body.

Try harder.
Well then, your lack of effort in setting the tone has gotten it to this stage. I think "Do you think women should be legislated into giving birth" would be a better effort, but to each their own.

So then you don't think that men own their bodies as well. Noted.

It's not just a woman's issue, it's a humanity issue.

Unless you want to be conscripted into organ donation.

Do you own your own body?

This isn't a difficult question.

Why can't you answer?

So then you don't think that men own their bodies as well. Noted.

It's not just a woman's issue, it's a humanity issue.

Unless you want to be conscripted into organ donation.

Do you own your own body?

This isn't a difficult question.

Why can't you answer?
I did answer.

I did answer.

As a Canadian, your wife does. Not as a woman. Not as a human.

Points for being Canadian and basic recognition. But what do we say to the other human women? Their bodies are not their own?

If women don't own their bodies, then who does?

I find it very interesting that no one has affirmatively said "I own my own body and so does everyone else!" and that's the end of it.

That's telling in and of itself.

Again... yes or no... do you or do you not own your own body?
Adrina - I'll give you the serious answer. From a legal perspective, the answer is "No". The "State", whatever the "State" is defined as depending on your will, owns you. The process of granting rights and reserving rights, is then negotiated through the messy process of "Government".

I realize your primary focus and prompter of the discussion is the current abortion question, but it extends far beyond that, abortion just being one of the many examples in society.

All laws imply/assume that the state has a "controlling ownership" in our bodies. The whole historical process of carving out individual rights under any form of government begins there.

Now, there is plenty room to debate it philosophically, and I've even set aside the religious/spiritual environments, since there it's a whole other discussion. But, at the end of the day, all governments, whether or man or of god, to end state is the same. You do not own your body, regardless of your gender.

Last edited:
Adrina - I'll give you the serious answer. From a legal perspective, the answer is "No". The "State", whatever the "State" is defined as depending on your will, owns you. The process of granting rights and reserving rights, is then negotiated through the messy process of "Government".

I realize you're primary focus and prompter of the discussion is the current abortion question, but it extends far beyond that, abortion just being one of the many example in society.

All laws imply/assume that the state has a "controlling ownership" in our bodies. The whole historical process of carving out individual rights under any form of government begins there.

Now, there is plenty room to debate it philosophically, and I've even set aside the religious/spiritual environments, since there it's a whole other discussion. But, at the end of the day, all governments, whether or man or of god, to end state is the same. You do not own your body, regardless of your gender.

Curious.

Then why can't the government compel organ donation?

'Cordin' to 'them' a lump of goo owns the body it doesn't have yet.

Back