Do you keep a reader database?

I've got an email folder with Lit feedback, but most were mere two-way comms just one time: them giving their feedback or asking for a story list, then me replying, then finis.

It's never occurred to me to use those people for anything. Making a database seems like a lot of work for not a huge amount of payoff, though of course that's just my impression.

Keeping email databases and using social media is almost necessary for the romance genre of mainstream publishing and becoming common in the mystery genre. Developing a 'personal' relationship with readers keeps them interested and primed for the next novel coming out in two months. The most popular authors have ongoing series and publish four to six books annually.

It helps if one is a socially oriented person. I'm one of the few people who wish we'd go back into covid lockdown. Those two years were the easiest times for me to limit social engagement without making lame excuses.

No. It's an interesting idea, but I figure if someone wants to know when my next story comes out they can "follow" me, and my next story automatically will show up on their page.
I'm probably not the average reader of Lit, but even though I follow a few authors, I rarely go to my home page and don't know when they've published new stories. I'm not a complete Luddite regarding internet platforms and computer use, but Literotica's presence is a total disaster. There are old portals, new (beta - how long does beta last, at least five years here) portals, category portals, new story portals, various following, and favoriting protocols, the home page, story side - forum side, each with different sign-ins. It's a fucking mess.

Sorry about the rant. I'm sure some readers are Lit members and regularly check their control panel home page for the latest release of a followed author. But based on my theory, ' The fewest clicks to get where you want to go is the approach most people take,' most regular readers have the new story page bookmarked as their first destination. All the information includes the title, tagline, Red H, category, and author name. I speculate the second most used initial destination is their favorite category portal page.

I took a three-hour Zoom workshop on promoting indie (self-published) mystery writing. The most critical item was collecting and cultivating an email list database. It was stressed that everything else one did, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, for example, needed an action item request for an email address to add to the list.

On 10/1/22 I sent an email to my non-con database fans (about 100 email addresses) letting them know the most recent chapter of my “Warden’s Wife Pays His Debt” series would be publishing on Lit in the next 24 hours. I’ve received correspondence from at least 20 people either before after reading. The story chapter is faring well at 22k clicks, 4.75 stars, & 60 favs. Does it make a difference? Hard to measure, but it certainly doesn’t hurt.

On 10/1/22 I sent an email to my non-con database fans (about 100 email addresses) letting them know the most recent chapter of my “Warden’s Wife Pays His Debt” series would be publishing on Lit in the next 24 hours. I’ve received correspondence from at least 20 people either before after reading. The story chapter is faring well at 22k clicks, 4.75 stars, & 60 favs. Does it make a difference? Hard to measure, but it certainly doesn’t hurt.
I don't think I am on the NC database ... but I got the email too! Wooohoo! (Well, because I am following you now :))

I don't think I am on the NC database ... but I got the email too! Wooohoo! (Well, because I am following you now :))
You are on it. I will ask most folks who I have email exchanges with, but since you and I have our fair share, I took the liberty without asking😉. Hope you didn’t mind…

You are on it. I will ask most folks who I have email exchanges with, but since you and I have our fair share, I took the liberty without asking😉. Hope you didn’t mind…
I will run with this and make rumors start to fly ... by saying something suggestive .... like ...

I like when you take liberties.

Haha ... just don't call me out on it because everyone will know I am full of s*** lol

I don't really want my followers to be pushed notification of every story I publish here, which is at least once a week. I think that's pushing too much notification at them. I would cut someone off that caused me to get a "hey look at what I've written" message every week.

I've got an email folder with Lit feedback, but most were mere two-way comms just one time: them giving their feedback or asking for a story list, then me replying, then finis.

It's never occurred to me to use those people for anything. Making a database seems like a lot of work for not a huge amount of payoff, though of course that's just my impression.
Making the database is a little time consuming on the data entry part, but maintaining it is easy. I simply created a spreadsheet with columns for: the readers name, Lit handle, email address, column for each category I publish in—Non-con, IR, Lesbian etc., Location, Special notes.

If I have their name and or Lit handle I enter it. I put an x in whichever category they’ve shown an interest, sometimes multiple columns. If they acknowledge where they are from I note it. And lastly if there is something unique or memorable in their comments I note it. I also note if they acknowledge being an author.

I throw emails from new readers in a separate folder and periodically update them into the DB. As I’ve noted in this thread previously, I don’t know how valuable the database outreach is, but it certainly doesn’t hurt. It’s also kinda fun on occasion to check out old comments or international locations of readers.

I don't really want my followers to be pushed notification of every story I publish here, which is at least once a week. I think that's pushing too much notification at them. I would cut someone off that caused me to get a "hey look at what I've written" message every week.
You publish much more frequently than me…

But based on my theory, ' The fewest clicks to get where you want to go is the approach most people take,' most regular readers have the new story page bookmarked as their first destination

Your conclusion doesn't follow. Yes people are inclined to take the shortest path, but that path is going to be what they value most. Which may or may not be the new story page.

Do I keep a reader database? No. (Well, you did ask me. :))

Last edited:
Back