Do women actually enjoy wearing high heels?

Without going into boring history of clothing or feminist theory, one thing should be obvious - wear what makes you feel comfortable and self-confident. Not the same as wearing something that makes other people think you're self-confident.

Some people can't get that right, leading to cosmetic-surgery disasters, bunions, groteque body distortion, etc. That happens nowadays to guys as much as women.

I think I like Spain because I like heels on women, and they seem to be really popular there.

Without going into boring history of clothing or feminist theory, one thing should be obvious - wear what makes you feel comfortable and self-confident. Not the same as wearing something that makes other people think you're self-confident.

In the sixth and seventh grade we had a drama and music teacher who was an operatically trained stage performer. She once sang a song at an assembly in the gymnasium and cattily told us to "Notice that I don't need a microphone!" ;) During one class she told us "I love fancy clothes. I love dressing up. I feel great when I'm in uncomfortable clothes."

Some people can't get that right, leading to cosmetic-surgery disasters, bunions, groteque body distortion, etc. That happens nowadays to guys as much as women.
I understand the sentiment here, but wearing clothes that are coded to fit into a social setting are often an obligation, even a requirement. Choosing the clothes that make you fit in and be an accepted part of a group, will affect a person's self confidence.

It's all very well to push people to express themselves and 'be damned' but few people want to be damned or have the panache of a Vivienne Westwood. Like any other clothing item, heels become a uniform. Styles come and go, but the heel will probably endure as an icon of sexy power.

What has changed are the number of settings for such "uniforms". Perhaps working from home means marketing execs have fewer heels in their wardrobe because there are fewer occasions to wear them? Dressing up posh for a party will always be fun, but having to wear them to an office everyday must be a chore.

Wearing stillies in bed for sex is not quite as bad as men keeping on their socks.

but wearing clothes that are coded to fit into a social setting are often an obligation, even a requirement
Yes, true. But one can still compromise smartly. Happened to me in the days when dress code was strict at work -- I ended up bending the rules to raise a few, but not a lot of eyebrows.

Wearing stillies in bed for sex is not quite as bad as men keeping on their socks.
I imagine there are some people who get turned on by men keeping their socks on in bed, it's a wide, weird world.
CWNM is a thing for me, and also for my partner, mainly because she want to get on with her day afterwards, and not spend ages undressing and dressing

Are boots not a subset of shoes for you?

Maybe you are saying high heeled shoes to mean what Americans call pumps and what Brits call courts?
Nah, both are a subset of footwear. As are sandals and flip-flops. I may be influenced by too many school uniform guides requiring secondary school pupils (age 11-18) to wear 'shoes not boots'. If it covers the ankle all round, it's a boot, if it doesn't, it's a shoe.

'Courts' is the kind of word only used by shoe sellers, and yeah, I think pumps are the same thing - smooth sides, open to expose most of the top of the foot. Can't stand them (or in them!), heeled or not.

These red ones are not court shoes, nor are these black ones.

I love my heels and boots to go out in but then again I’m a shoe whore
My favorite pair is black five inch ankle straps
And five inch black thigh high boots now these make me feel powerful

Ah, the passions ignited by fashion! Women are seen as being most attractive when slender, no, wait, when they are large (who did Rueben’s select for his models?), with long hair, no, short hair, with Jane Russell boobs, minimal boobs, with a big bottom vs a tiny bottom. And men are subjected to expectations - and judged, too. It’s maybe to a lesser degree, but it’s very real. Today, buff’s the thing; 150 years ago, a ‘man with a belly’ was thought desirable (maybe because he had a demonstrated ability to put food on his table?). Beards vs no beards. Hair pomades - ick! Within living memory, good homes wouldn’t permit a plumber in to fix a plugged toilet were he not wearing a tie. There’ve been periods when it was men wearing corsets to achieve implausibly narrow waists. As for top hats and codpieces…

It’s all temporary, artificial and silly. As Alexander Eberlin noted, the surest way to be out of fashion next year is to be at the height of it this year.

With some exceptions, the days when dress codes were rock-solid and compelling are pretty-well gone. Wear what you want. If it get’s you the attention/approval you wish, then continue. If not, then you have a number of choices - change styles, accept the status quo, find another group, etc.

Edit (that slipped away too soon). I’ve written women in heels and garter belts and even the occasional corset) into my stories because today such things are seen by the majority as sexy - and this is an erotic site. My feet are hardly subjected to heels at my age, but they can stoke the fires, so to speak, when crafting erotic tales or illustrations. That’s not an argument for heels and garters and all the rest IRL; it’s a simple acknowledgement of audience taste.

Last edited:
Someone liked a post in a heel thread over in fetish, and it was where I posted this picture of a pair of heels I bought my wife on amazon.

She likes butterflies I like her feet so it was a win win.

shoes.jpg

Talking of feet and butterflies, I trod on a butterfly when I was a kid, which is the reason why Emperor FafDeHo never existed.

I’ve written women in heels and garter belts and even the occasional corset) into my stories because today such things are seen by the majority as sexy - and this is an erotic site.
Not criticizing your choices at all, but more in the spirit of academic interest: all of those are a turn off for me. More mildly so for heels, but still. I know I am well out of the majority on this... well, I think so anyway, but I'm not actually so sure.

I've written only one scene on Lit with a woman in heels, fully dressed. The MMC's reaction to it was that in that moment she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, but also that "It was as if the singular plane of existence she existed on had finally turned to float above everyone else, to hover above the mundane world of we mere mortals."

So yeah, it can be hot, but also - for garters and corsets as well - to me it creates a psychic distance between people, something that works against intimacy even as it works for arousal.

If a stripper came out barefoot do you really think most guys would care? They wouldn't cheer and ogle and the rest?

That may be true, but we will never know, because nobody in their right mind is going to walk around a strip club barefoot.

Regarding strippers, footwear is less about the feet and more about the legs and the height. I don't know why, but men do seem to prefer tall dancers, in my experience.

Most strippers wear Pleasers, or similar types of high heeled platform shoes, which give the same shaping effect as traditional heels, but are more stable. The Pleaser boots are particularly good, because they have clunkier heels and provide good ankle support. And if needed, are an effective weapon.

The one time I wrote a woman in black thigh highs and black pumps, she thought she was just dressing up, more for herself than anyone.
She never dreamt of ending up in just those, let alone indulging a previously unknown fantasy.
I thought it worked nicely, both writing and RL🫢

There's this odd thing with heels. Back in the day still in the 1990's, 5cm (2 inch) heels were considered high - today they are only considered "intermediate".

The ergonomics of heels varies wildly. The kind where the heel is at the very back is horrible for walking. It's only really suitable for sitting and standing. There's a reason why competition dance shoes have the heel in the middle under the heel of the foot! And they don't have extraordinarily high heels, nor do they have platforms.

Most of the high heels sold in the last 10 years I refuse to even try on. I can wear those shaped similarly to dancing shoes, or, say 1950's shoes. What was high back then - and then I'm also very picky with how they feel. It's not uncomfortable at first, but in a few hours it'll will be, I have to admit. (Other pair of shoes for getting home from a party is a wise idea.) I do it at times, but all the more seldom these days. Mostly for special occasions, and not even for all of them.

And even lower heels give the calves a nice shape. It doesn't need to be that high. I don't believe it makes me attractive if I am uncomfortable and complaining about my shoes...

Edit. But I don't claim to be average. I know women who wear high heels constantly and I don't get them. I also know women who Don't. Wear. Heels. Ever. Not even for special occasions. And I see some women who are in the public for a living, often dressed up, and yet look like newborn bambis with their heels and wonder how they haven't even learned to walk with them though they use heels so often.

Last edited:
Back