Discouraged

I came a cropper for example, not long back when a friend in Cali posted pics of herself in spicy lingerie she'd hand made. I commented that she looked raunchy. What I didn't know was that in her part of the world, raunchy pretty much equals cheap and sleazy. There was a terse reply thanking me for being honest, then an attack by some fawning admirer of hers. It took some conversation before I understood. There are significant differences in language. The same word in the UK and most of Aus means hot and sexy. It's a compliment, not an insult.

Um, yes. If someone called me raunchy they'd be on my death list. LOL.

Even if they meant it in a good way?

That's the thing, there's no way I could take that in a good way. I mean, I can understand the different meanings but I wouldn't like it at all. To me it just means sleazy.

I grew up in Southern California, near The Valley; it’s been 25 years now since I lived there, but when I was a kid “raunchy” was just like “tubular,” “radical,” or all the other surfer slang: completely innocuous.

Even now I’d never take it as an insult. If applied to a woman in lingerie, I think I’d assume it was a compliment, albeit a racy one.

Back