Credentials

This thread really didn't deserve a ressurection IMO. The OP, twelve-o-one hasn't been back as that ID in years I venture, as well as those people he was poking with his credentials stick.

The only credential you need to write poetry is desire. The only credential required to critique poetry is desire. The only credential you need to have an opinion is an asshole.

Credentials are required if you are being paid. They are pieces of paper given by other people who took the time to quantify credentials.

Qualifications are what we all have to form an opinion. Education is what is needed to inform those qualifications of any value.

eta: I should have precursored my opinion with a disclaimer that I do value the thoughts of the folks who have taken the time for discussion re: what informs a poet or a critic. I just get so damned frustrated when I remember the hurt that a lot of people felt because they couldn't garner tone from the written words here.

The innocence of the pot stirrers and the injury to the pots who were on too high a flame cannot be judged just by looking at this thread. There was an entire conversation taken down by mods or the creators of the threads involved and they were contentious and hurtful in the worst way. And that is why I feel the way I do.

Last edited:
This thread really didn't deserve a ressurection IMO. The OP, twelve-o-one hasn't been back as that ID in years I venture, as well as those people he was poking with his credentials stick.

The only credential you need to write poetry is desire. The only credential required to critique poetry is desire. The only credential you need to have an opinion is an asshole.

Credentials are required if you are being paid. They are pieces of paper given by other people who took the time to quantify credentials.

Qualifications are what we all have to form an opinion. Education is what is needed to inform those qualifications of any value.

eta: I should have precursored my opinion with a disclaimer that I do value the thoughts of the folks who have taken the time for discussion re: what informs a poet or a critic. I just get so damned frustrated when I remember the hurt that a lot of people felt because they couldn't garner tone from the written words here.

The innocence of the pot stirrers and the injury to the pots who were on too high a flame cannot be judged just by looking at this thread. There was an entire conversation taken down by mods or the creators of the threads involved and they were contentious and hurtful in the worst way. And that is why I feel the way I do.

This thread was on the same page as Neo’s and I ran out of time reading, so rather than assuage my curiosity by saving the link I simply bumped it. I didn’t realise it would spark such a for me, interesting conversation, maybe uncomfortable for others. I dunno I’m strange with words and arguments, unless there is a threat of physical violence, for the most part I’m not phased by them. A lot of psychological trauma went into building that kind of “resilience” and I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone.

I thought a lot of valuable discussion came out of it, do I think it was worth losing a potential new forum participant, hell no and I think I said as much. Not sure because I tend to ramble and jump around points due to the fact I’m writing on a cell phone and working at the same time.

As to the rest, it’s all opinions. From where I sit without a contentious view to our own how are we supposed to question those things we think are true but might only be part of the truth, or false all-together? The other side of the coin, it may help substantiate what and why you believe what you do and give you the ability to think about and articulate it.

I like the idea of inclusiveness, it sits right morally and ethically and is an easy view to champion hard for, but the concept of unbridled inclusivity just sits wrong to me when held up to my own subjective reasoning on a write, or a writer of poetry. And imma shut up now, before I write another essay full of wordy nothings

Last edited:
I get where you're coming from. It's interesting to delve into some of the many discussion threads here. Sometimes we forget that this forum is also about discussing poetry and how to view it and the inevitable critique that follows.

To address the lack of forum "liveliness" for those that may wonder, poetry has always been an orphan child within the Literotica story archives. A lot of the popularity of the poets and the discussion board came from the forays out into the Story Feedback and General Board forums by a few adventurous souls. Those of us who regularly reviewed and commented on the daily additions of poetry to the Literotica archives also invited those poets whose work was reviewed to come and visit, share their style and hints, and just invigorate our creativity, sparking what we called poetry.

Sadly this doesn't occur as much as it once did. Perhaps new blood could inject a bit of poetic caffiene into the veins of this place, but unless they're willing to persist and be consistent in thier investment of time, then the natural rhythm will need to persevere and perhaps revive.

a ballerina
dances with poise, grace
borne aloft on soaring notes
a thing of beauty

music hides the thud and scuff of toe-blocked feet
the strain of breath, grunts of effort;
tights and flowing fabrics
enhance/disguise
rock-hard muscles born of labour—
years of mirrors and barre,
trained muscle memory;
greasepaint defies the sweat,
obscures the pain;
choreography defined in each performance

wings are filled with competent dancers
busy understudies

but primas rise above,
bring a fire all their own—
something that can't be taught
practised
learned

those of us who'll never soar—
rise
to lead the corps
or
through injury or age
need observe from auditorium—
may still enjoy the art,
appreciate its nuances,
leap
vicariously

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

hell, i'm no prima; my words have to dance on their own as i close my eyes and open my heart

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to go through some of the early posts in this thread, versus just responding to the current conversation that was happening. Seems to me the consensus is that the only credentials one needs to critique or comment on poetry is just reading and wanting to share an opinion on the poetry. That's my take, and had I seen this as a newbie, I don't think it would've put me off of joining in.

It's a little frustrating that there's a personal tiff going on in within the thread, but that's not uncommon anywhere on the internet where people attempt to coexist on any platform. I can see how that might make someone cautious, if it were recent or an ongoing issue. Aside from that, it's just a thing that happened, oh well.

Of all the reasons PF&D is not a hotbed of activity, the members here being elitist gatekeepers is not one of them. Unfortunately, most of those who kept this place going aren't very active now, and those of us who came along a bit later haven't taken up the torch and kept it lit (pardon the pun).

Back