Copywrite question?

Samuari

Twice Blessed
Who owns the copywrites to the board posts? Along with the usall drivel there is some teriffic writing being done on the rpg and srpg boards. Is this materal copywrited or in the public domaine? If it is copywrited, who owns it?

Oooooooo Good question. Ask it again in the General area where our lawyers hang out.

as a "writer" on the SRP BB I would like to think....

.. that just as the stories it is all Copyright of the author of the post.

I at least would find it rather annoying to read something I "elaborated" with friends as a plot / RP/ story on another site with someones name on it without knowing it was "taken".

I did indeed use some of the SRP developed stories I was particularily fond of to make "stories" for my site of them, but always first talked to the writers and asked for their permission (which so far I was always given - thanks!).

I just think, even if there is no "law" behind it, that asking for permission to use those bits would be common courtesy and propper style.

FAQ on copyright

I'm not sure about copyright outside of the US and the UK, but here are some quick tips about how it works.

1) Unless it is a "work for hire" the author automatically owns the copyright...even if he/she doesn't register it with the Registrar of Copyrights...even if he/she doesn't identify it as copyright protected. It is harder to seek damages if you haven't posted notice (I learned this the hard way with a major newspaper syndicate).

2) If you have a really good story or group of stories you want to put into a book, published or not, you can register them with the US Copyright Registrar for $30. The Form TX and information is available online although I don't remember the exact URL.

3) Even if you give someone permission to publish your story the copyright remains yours unless you signed a contract to give up that right.

4) You can still apply for a copyright even if you use a pseudonymous name as long as you indicate as such on the form.

5) Finally, if you do apply for a copyright you will need to send a printed and bound copy of your work to put on "deposit" at the library of Congress. I don't know how others do it but if I haven't published yet I just have it copied front and back, then bound in those finger binders.

Hope this helps some curious writers...

Thanks Closet, that helps alot. Hecate, you as allways,are the essence of good taist and style. Thanks

Back