Copying ideas

The first computers were basically large electrified versions of the Abacus, so ...

Sure, if you pervert the concept of "idea." Coming up with a new application is a new idea.

The first computers were basically large electrified versions of the Abacus, so ...
That's like saying an automobile is basically an extended crankshaft. An abacus does not store program code. It's more like a data register in a CPU -- a component, not a framework.

Back to ideas. Stories and other software generally are structured around a start, middle, and end. That structure is an old idea, stolen by many, but still quite usable. Sure, it can be twisted temporally. That's another old idea. Don't hesitate to borrow and adapt old ideas that work.

That's like saying an automobile is basically an extended crankshaft. An abacus does not store program code.

No, it would be like saying an automobile is a motorized cart -- which it is with an internal combustion or electric device replacing the horse(s), donkey or oxen.

And I said the FIRST computers which were the size of small buildings and did not store anything. Newer computers that store things are simply electronic file cabinets.

On point, there are very few new and original ideas. In story telling, that is clearly evident by all the rehashes of TV shows and movies. Every single story on this site is a person or people doing things with themselves or other people in some combination that one or more find enjoyable. Very few of those combinations are original in any way. I can't think of a single story I've ever read here that hadn't been done in a variety of other ways many times before.

This is a somewhat silly debate, because it all depends upon the level of abstraction at which you choose to see the story. You can find any number of literary theorists or commentators who can reduce all stories to a dozen or so basic types, and if you squint hard the reduction seems convincing.

In the copyright sense, it's fair to say that the reservoir of ideas has not been exhausted. The concept of an "idea" in copyright is not quite as limited as the sense of an idea that jaFO discusses. In any event, it's the taking of another's "expression" of ideas that a writer has to worry about, and with a little diligence a writer can avoid infringement and plagiarism.

Back