Coming out

Currently I live in a situation where I can dress in panties but nothing else. May 31st I am moving to a more friendly situation where I can dress full time if I want. I plan on coming out at the same time. At 53 it's time for me to make myself happy.

I have been thinking of just making a statement on my main Facebook page and dealing with anyone who tries to harrass me or bully me about it. But I am wondering if I should come out to some of my good friends first privately but that runs the risk of being outed by mistake or in my current situation blackmailed into telling a roommate about my life style.

Not sure which is the best way. Any advice?

Currently I live in a situation where I can dress in panties but nothing else. May 31st I am moving to a more friendly situation where I can dress full time if I want. I plan on coming out at the same time. At 53 it's time for me to make myself happy.

I have been thinking of just making a statement on my main Facebook page and dealing with anyone who tries to harrass me or bully me about it. But I am wondering if I should come out to some of my good friends first privately but that runs the risk of being outed by mistake or in my current situation blackmailed into telling a roommate about my life style.

Not sure which is the best way. Any advice?
Try friends first.

Just curious here… Are you intending to fully transition?

I’m mostly out as queer and fluid, so I present differently for different moods and situations. If you don’t intend to make a night and day transition you could choose to lean into it gradually.

For me it would be difficult to just change all in one shot. I think it would have been tough to find and change my look and style so abruptly. I don’t mean to discourage you if that’s what you feel is best for you, I just want to point out that there can be other ways to go about it.

I’m close to your age and though I was also fluid and often mistaken for a tomboy in my early twenties, I presented mostly straight while raising my kids. I’ve always had long hair, often braided, and had some femme features. I’ve often worn kilts and jewelry, so no one batted an eye when I got my ears pierced, twice in each lobe.

Now I often wear skirts and women’s tops. I don’t pass and get double takes from random people but nothing particularly uncomfortable, even from friends and acquaintances. The only people I’m not fully out with is my conservative in-laws but even they seem to accept that I’m not fully cis.

Again, congrats on becoming comfortable with your own real identity. I hope it works and helps you feel as better aligned within yourself as it has within me.

Last edited:
Just curious here… Are you intending to fully transition?

I’m mostly out as queer and fluid, so I present differently for different moods and situations. If you don’t intend to make a night and day transition you could choose to lean into it gradually.

For me it would be difficult to just change all in one shot. I think it would have been tough to find and change my look and style so abruptly. I don’t mean to discourage you if that’s what you feel is best for you, I just want to point out that there can be other ways to go about it.

I’m close to your age and though I was also fluid and often mistaken for a tomboy in my early twenties, I presented mostly straight while raising my kids. I’ve always had long hair, often braided, and had some femme features. I’ve often worn kilts and jewelry, so no one batted an eye when I got my ears pierced, twice in each lobe.

Now I often wear skirts and women’s tops. I don’t pass and get double takes from random people but nothing particularly uncomfortable, even from friends and acquaintances. The only people I’m not fully out with is my conservative in-laws but even they seem to accept that I’m not fully cis.

Again, congrats on becoming comfortable with your own real identity. I hope it works and helps you feel as better aligned within yourself as it has within me.
I've dressed since i was a teenager and every relationship i have been in knew. A few close friends know but not fully transition. I used to go out dressed in the past but it was always in a different city from where I lived. Now I plan on if I so desire to go for a walk in a dress/skirt I am comfortable enough to do so where I live.

I'm comfortable with either sex. I know it seems like I talk a lot about bi-experiences but that's mainly cause the ones I have had are far more interesting then the standard wife/gf stories. I have never had a out in the open relationship with a guy. There are friends who we used to fool around when ever we could but again now if I met the right person no matter gender or identity I would be comfortable dating them.

Back