Category Advice

somethingfar

Virgin
Hello author friends, I need some advice. I've almost finished a standalone story that's a kind of 'Freaky Friday' body swap. The two main (CIS M, F) characters are virgins and end up doing the deed in their 'borrowed' bodies. The setting is very high school (18+ !) drama-centric, happens at prom, etc. and is each of their first time. However - as they're inhabiting each other's bodies, there is an element of cross-dressing... kinda. Not by choice, of course. So my question - does this belong in "First Time" or "Transgender & Crossdressers"?

I put disclaimers and trigger warnings at the front matter of all my stories to warn people, but I obviously want to get the story in front of the group that will enjoy it more.

Any advice?

I don't see that situation as being about crossdressing as a source of the interest, unless you deliberately portrayed it that way. First Time might work, even SF/F, but it depends on the details of where and on what aspect you put the focus.

I would agree with First Time, if the first sexual experience is the primary focus of the story. As long as your tags and/or intro explain the other elements as well, I'd say you're good.

First time. They're not true transgender or cross dressers.

Body swap also works in Fantasy but doesn't sound like your playing up that element as much as the first time

Agreed with most of the above. Cross-dressing involves, IMHO, a choice or a decision. Body-swapping is different, unless it's a deliberate thing and even then, cross-dressing would still probably not be the right choice.

It's an interesting theme. To be honest, I'm not sure how well anybody would carry off losing their virginity immediately after such a world-bending change. Pray let us know when it goes up; it does sound fun!

Thanks all, good advice. I think my gut choice "First Time" is the way to go. I'll post a link when the story is live.

I’ll admit that this has rather captured my attention.

If the shift has caught them both my surprise, if they were not prepared for it ie, this could fit in very well in Humour. Just think of the riding-a-bicycle skills we all take for granted. As just one example, it’s a prom, ergo likely formal - how well will He cope with makeup and heels? Lots of potential for comic mishaps on both sides.

I’ll admit that this has rather captured my attention.

If the shift has caught them both my surprise, if they were not prepared for it ie, this could fit in very well in Humour. Just think of the riding-a-bicycle skills we all take for granted. As just one example, it’s a prom, ergo likely formal - how well will He cope with makeup and heels? Lots of potential for comic mishaps.
I'm glad its piquing your interest! : ) There is a bit of wrong-body hyjinx, but I'll admit to taking a bit of liberty with 'muscle memory' for things like walking in heels so they don't have to deal much with fear of being found out. The story is more about the MCs coming to grips with their new reality, despite the fact that they really didn't like each other beforehand. Think Freaky Friday mixed with 10 Things I Hate About You, set around the week leading up to senior prom.

Based on what I've seen of the category, I disagree with most of the other posters here. The Transexual category does include a lot of both force and magical body transformations and seems like the logical place for this.

IMO... First time is the category.
They are both virgins, and are going to lose their cherries on the same night.
It could fit in fantasy...
Not sure about TG...
Personally, unless there is an element of actually wanting to experience another gender. It wouldn't work... On the other hand, if the switch is something they want, then yeah, it could fit.
In the end, it's your story and your choice.
Research where other stories similar to this sit.

Cagivagurl

I’d play up the cause of the body swap- some sci-fi or fantasy element- and put it in that category.

Your naming a category is actually just a suggestion to the mods, who can put it anywhere they like. So don't get too worried about it.

Agreed with most of the above. Cross-dressing involves, IMHO, a choice or a decision. Body-swapping is different, unless it's a deliberate thing and even then, cross-dressing would still probably not be the right choice.

It's an interesting theme. To be honest, I'm not sure how well anybody would carry off losing their virginity immediately after such a world-bending change. Pray let us know when it goes up; it does sound fun!
Story is finally up - I entered it in the April Fool's Day contest, seemed like a good fit! Hope you enjoy it.

My Freaky Senior Prom

Back