Category Advice on a Story Twist

WendyTrilby

Electric Storyteller
I could use some fellow author input here. I'm working on a story where there is a grand reveal about 25% into the story. The reveal is that a character is, in fact, trans (M to F). This reveal comes to our protagonists attention the same time it comes to the reader.

My issue is this. If I submit this in the TRANS category then the reveal is obviously telegraphed by the category title. To avoid stepping on a great moment, I though I would go with the ANAL category as that will be much how much the sex goes down.

I realize LE might just re-categorize my story (I will ask them not to in my notes) if I go ANAL. I was thinking of warning my readers that this story might contain a storyline they are not seeking. I know I'll get some angry comments (hell, I got angry comments because one of my characters cheated on her husband). I guess I'm looking for some thoughts. Should I just go with the TRANS category and burn the twist or risk the angry blowback by going ANAL.

If any of you have ever seen the movie THE CRYING GAME, this reveal would be similar. Any input is appreciated.

- Wendy

Last edited:
Presumably, a big part of the appeal of the story, as in The Crying Game, is the surprise. I was surprised by the reveal in that movie, and the surprise was half the fun of the movie.

Of course, some were squicked and didn't like it. But the movie wasn't for them, and it sounds like your story isn't for them, either.

If I were you I would preserve the surprise, tag it so you aren't telegraphing anything, and accept the fact that some won't like the surprise. You are not writing for them.

That's a problem here at Lit., yes. Probably not as big a problem as it might seem to be, since the tags come at the end of the story rather than in front. I don't really think that many readers are seeing the tags for this reason.

I could use some fellow author input here. I'm working on a story where there is a grand reveal about 25% into the story. The reveal is that a character is, in fact, trans (M to F). This reveal comes to our protagonists attention the same time it comes to the reader.

My issue is this. If I submit this un the TRANS category then the reveal is obviously telegraphed by the category title. To avoid stepping on a great moment, I though I would go with the ANAL category as that will be much how much the sex goes down.

I realize LE might just re-categorize my story (I will ask them not to in my notes) if I go ANAL. I was thinking of warning my readers that this story might contain a storyline they are not seeking. I know I'll get some angry comments (hell, I got angry comments because one of my characters cheated on her husband). I guess I'm looking for some thoughts. Should I just go with the TRANS category and burn the twist or risk the angry blowback by going ANAL.

If any of you have ever seen the movie THE CRYING GAME, this reveal would be similar. Any input is appreciated.

- Wendy
If the story is predominantly about a trans person and/or a relationship with said trans person, I would say it should probably go in that category. Not so much because of negative reactions from readers in Anal or wherever finding an unwanted surprise (although you obviously are right to suspect that some will be triggered), but because the readers who will be most interested in the tale will be trans people and/or their allies (assuming you're depicting the character humanely, anyway). I'm sure some will find it anyway, but I think you'd be doing them a disservice to make material that's likely right in their wheelhouse harder to find in favor of being coy about what the story's really about. I'd personally put more weight on trying to make the story easy to find for the people who are likely to appreciate it most, since the 'gotcha' moment of surprising people is usually principally self-gratification.

+1 for T&C, especially given how early the reveal happens. You might still surprise people: it's not as if I go into a T&C story expecting every character to be trans.

I would go Trans. Just because it's in the category doesn't mean the reveal won't work.

I don't think readers sit there and think, "Oh, this story's in the T&C category, I wonder which one's trans, or is it a guy wearing the dress?"

If the writing is good enough (and yours will be) the story dynamic will prevail over any category pre-expectations.

I've got a story that combines an incest theme with a trans theme, and a mature woman sub-plot. Like you, I wondered where it would run best. I knew it would tank in Incest, despite having a sibcest sub-plot, but it was obvious to me the trans theme was the dominant one, so that's where I asked Laurel to put it, which she did. It ran well there, as I hoped it would.

In the broadest sense, surely a trans theme trumps anal as to a sexual/gender message? I'd be treating trans content with the respect it deserves - you'll have more empathy from readers there, as to the content. Anal is anal, any sex can do it. A trans character, one hopes, has a bit more nuance.

Let me ask a question:

Is the story specifically about the trans character being trans?

Or is the story about some other category where the character just happens to be trans?

If the former, I'd drop it into trans, if the latter, I'd drop it there and just anticipate some level of blowback.

Fuck category and feedback.

If the surprise is that important to the plot and you feel so compelled to have the reader experience that surprise, then you will probably regret putting it in trans as you may never get a chance to convey that surprise experience again. If that's the case, take a chance, go big and put it in the next most appropriate category like anal. Be brave. Take the blowback. You'll still be standing when it's done.

Or stay safe as they say and put it in trans forever wondering what could have been.

Fuck category and feedback.
Surely it comes down to the major theme of the story, rather than a writer's desire for a "big reveal" - which only happens once in the story, and by the writer's own admission, 75% of the story is after that moment.

So it's not a twist at the end, it's not even a twist in the middle. It sounds like a major plot moment, sure, but does that define category? I wouldn't think so.

Transgender sexuality is a part of the human condition, it's not a kink per se. Anal sex is a kink category, transgender isn't (unless the OP is writing chicks with dicks and that's all).

I reckon the OP needs to decide what her major theme is (transgender or anal sex) and base a category decision on that, not some literary artifice.

I wonder what transgender people might think? It would be courteous to ask one or two.

I had this dilemma. I figured that as the reveal was only about 10% of the way in and the story is about the trans character and a guy getting his head round it, I'd put it in T&C - unlike previous stories in the series which were all in Anal.

Well enough received, but hardly any readers in comparison to Anal (5x fewer). In your case, I'd consider sticking to your Anal audience, just be prepared for some grumpy readers.

I had a similar conundrum with Fun with Fingers. Except with my story, the reveal didn't come right until the end - that "Mr Handsy" wasn't in fact a Mr. If I'd put it in Lesbian, that would have spoiled the entire story. So I went with Erotic Couplings, and it's doing fine there.

When I write the follow-up, picking up at the point of the reveal and continuing from the other woman's perspective, it might go in Lesbian.

Surely it comes down to the major theme of the story, rather than a writer's desire for a "big reveal" - which only happens once in the story, and by the writer's own admission, 75% of the story is after that moment.

So it's not a twist at the end, it's not even a twist in the middle. It sounds like a major plot moment, sure, but does that define category? I wouldn't think so.

Transgender sexuality is a part of the human condition, it's not a kink per se. Anal sex is a kink category, transgender isn't (unless the OP is writing chicks with dicks and that's all).

I reckon the OP needs to decide what her major theme is (transgender or anal sex) and base a category decision on that, not some literary artifice.

I wonder what transgender people might think? It would be courteous to ask one or two.

Disagree. I'd put it where I feel that it should go. Obviously don't put it in a blatantly wrong category, but as long as there is a relevant theme. Don't categorize to spare people's feelings or to offend the least viewers and keep the score up. If you feel strongly that it should go somewhere, then that's where it should go. Don't compromise yourself or your work by playing it safe.

I had this dilemma. I figured that as the reveal was only about 10% of the way in and the story is about the trans character and a guy getting his head round it, I'd put it in T&C - unlike previous stories in the series which were all in Anal.

Well enough received, but hardly any readers in comparison to Anal (5x fewer). In your case, I'd consider sticking to your Anal audience, just be prepared for some grumpy readers.
I hoped you would comment. Although your previous stories in the series were in Anal, I don't recall that any of them had a trans character. I fully understand that the difference in viewership between the two categories is substantial, and if your main concern is purely the number of views, then putting the story in Anal rather than T&C makes sense. However, many of the standard concerns discussed on the AH about reader's squicks in the 'broader' categories, might come into play.

Most of my stories are about characters who take their clothes off in public. The fact that I post them in E&V doesn't appear to ruin my reader's delight when my characters take their clothes off in public. I wrote one story specifically with the Anal category in mind and published it there. I had two comments wondering why it wasn't in E&V. I doubt anyone downvoted based solely on perceived category error, but at least some readers do pay attention.

I'm not saying to change the story to meet some idea of the reader's expectations, rather, match the story to the category where it will be well received. Of course, the criteria for 'well-received' is up to the author.

If the story is predominantly about a trans person and/or a relationship with said trans person, I would say it should probably go in that category. Not so much because of negative reactions from readers in Anal or wherever finding an unwanted surprise (although you obviously are right to suspect that some will be triggered), but because the readers who will be most interested in the tale will be trans people and/or their allies (assuming you're depicting the character humanely, anyway). I'm sure some will find it anyway, but I think you'd be doing them a disservice to make material that's likely right in their wheelhouse harder to find in favor of being coy about what the story's really about. I'd personally put more weight on trying to make the story easy to find for the people who are likely to appreciate it most, since the 'gotcha' moment of surprising people is usually principally self-gratification.
I think Bamagan has the right idea. I think if you want your target audience to find it and enjoy it, then perhaps sacrifice a bit of personal satisfaction from throwing the curve ball.

Some category readers don't like surprises. I've had negative comments from Romance category readers about stories that veered into the supernatural, but I've never done any twist as radical as this.

Loving Wives readers however like surprises as much as bears, gorillas, hippos and Africanized honeybees. I wouldn't be brave enough to submit a story with a transgender twist in that category.

I would err on the side of trans as well but would be interested to see the outcome of putting it in anal.
...Flip a coin?

I think people in this thread, and in this forum generally, are too risk-averse. Taking risks is part of the fun of art. You risk pissing people off, but you also create the possibility of delighting people with your surprises.

There's no right answer, because it depends on what Wendy's real goal is. But if the twist is a big part of the art, then it makes no sense to give it away.

My issue is this. If I submit this un the TRANS category then the reveal is obviously telegraphed by the category title. To avoid stepping on a great moment, I though I would go with the ANAL category as that will be much how much the sex goes down.

- Wendy
I think there is another element.
If you want the story to be read and enjoyed. Then it should go in the Trans category. A lot of the readers within that category, may only rad trans stories.
If you place it in some other category it may get overlooked by the very audience you want...
Just my opinion...
If the writing is solid, the reveal will still be effective...

Cagivagurl

thiiiiis this this this this. just the way the op described it makes it sound...... icky about trans people

if you're still working on this @WendyTrilby, here's my take.

I did a 750 word IT story with the twist in the last sentence. I agonised over the category because I also thought it would telegraph the surprise. However, it seems people, knowing something is going to happen, enjoyed discovering the lead up and how I hid it until the last moment.

I'd put yours in trans.

If there is no clue to the Trans person before they open it, you'll get a lot of hateful messages mixed in with those who loved it. It will also affect your score and not in a positive way.

Back