Categories

I tried to write a response then realized that I have no idea what you're saying.

In response to Lovecraft's comments about author's caring more about their writing than catering to specific readers, you said, "I'll point out the obvious. If an author doesn't care how readers react, then there's no reason for them to publish here."

But caring first and foremost about staying true to your vision as a writer is not the same as not caring about how readers react. I care very much about how readers react to my writing, but I care more about presenting the most authentic product of my imagination that I can. If those things are ever in conflict, I have to be true to myself.

Do you really want advice?

You're the one coming here. This site works the way it works. A favorite hobby on this forum is to bitch tirelessly about the Categories. None of that has resulted in a change. Put energies elsewhere.

But there is the "Novels and Novellas" category. It's not for non-erotic, but for works that have complexity but don't necessarily fit well into another single thematic category.

Oh, just so you don't have to come here and post in shock if it happens. The sole submissions editor, Laurel, has the right to redirect your submission into a different Category if she so chooses. It's happened to me, it's probably happened to everyone who's posted on this thread.

If you read my original post, I didn't ask for advice.

In fact Novels and Novellas is where I put my story.

It's hetero, no fetishes, has a "somewhat" happy ending (ie, some closure but no reconciliation). There's no burning of women in effigy, and no voyeurism (except for a 'walk-in' and turn right around scene).

It's not a story about anyone's first time, but one of the relationships is a 'first true love' kind of angle.
I'd put it in Erotic Couplings. You'll get readers, but not the savagery of LW.

In response to Lovecraft's comments about author's caring more about their writing than catering to specific readers, you said, "I'll point out the obvious. If an author doesn't care how readers react, then there's no reason for them to publish here."

But caring first and foremost about staying true to your vision as a writer is not the same as not caring about how readers react. I care very much about how readers react to my writing, but I care more about presenting the most authentic product of my imagination that I can. If those things are ever in conflict, I have to be true to myself.

My stories have been posted on a couple of sites. One in particular is much heavier on interactions on the story threads than here. Story threads typically get 100s of comments (not exaggerating). I've posted a few dozen stories there and, so, yes, I will sometimes stick in a scene that I know will appeal. Also, I often write with a co-author. She has her own ideas and we try to mesh them together, generally quite successfully.

This site is large and diverse and I'm new here and don't know the readers well enough to pander to them even if I wanted to. That said, I got a PM today from someone who said my story pushed all of his buttons, so I must be onto something. But I don't know that it would be possible to please everyone here or even the majority.

I'm having hardware problems.

I'll stick by what I said. Write what you like, but then don't complain if the readers don't all love it.

I'm having hardware problems.

I'll stick by what I said. Write what you like, but then don't complain if the readers don't all love it.

Perhaps I misinterpreted what you wrote. If that is what you meant, I agree.

Just a word of warning: The "Loving Wives" category has a huge following of haters. If your LW story is one of consensual extramarital sex, you'll probably receive a load of 1-ratings. The stories they seem to approve are ones which "Burn the Bitch" for extramarital affairs, or in some other ways seek revenge.

I've posted to that category, and gotten slammed with 1 ratings and bad comments (not on quality of writing, but rather "Disgusting" as the subject matter.)

So, post there with that caution in mind.

So, just for fun, I banged out a quick story (I allowed myself 2 hours to write it) specifically for that category. It turns out I made a bit of a boo-boo because I did it in the form of a letter from the lover to the husband so it got moved to Letters. But from the title "Dear Steve: I Just Fucked Your Wife" the expected crowd found there way there.

It's already got more views and comments than any chapter of the Novella I'm running. The ratings are running around 3, which is actually reasonable. I don't see why the topic of cheating wives holds such fascination. It may have been shocking in the 19th Century or when Lawrence wrote "Lady Chatterly's Lover" (a very over-rated book IMO) but surely it's not shocking in 2021, especially on a site that has an entire section for Incest.

While I truly don't care about the ratings, I did get some favorites and followers and perhaps a few of them will go and check out any of my more interesting stories if I get around to posting them here...All in all, I found it kind of fun and I wrote a comment twitting the commenters back...

But I could see if it were a story that one cared about, one might take offense.

Back