Can I have Chinese characters in a story?

Katie_Mae

Virgin
Hi everyone. If I wanted to write a couple of Chinse characters in a story otherwise in English (ie language selected being English), will they post? I tried searching but just found threads on characters who are Chinese. To clarify, by "Chinese characters" I mean stuff like --> 肏
I read I might have a problem with diacritics but I used them and had no issues but I was able to test them out in a chapter where if it didn't post it wasn't a big deal.
If there's a high likelihood they won't post correctly I can just write around it, but it would be nice to understand if I have the option. Thanks :)

How would you enter the characters?

I know that Lit allows at least some HTML entities, and any unicode character can be entered as an entity by using its decimal or hexidecimal code preceded by a hash and enclosed with & and ;. Something like ⺛

This isn't a very basic use, and I don't know if Lit supports it. Apparently the forum does not, otherwise there would be a character at the end of the last paragraph, not an html entity code.

They're supported in the submissions form. I don't know how they'll publish.

I've used Cyrillic in a story, which rendered the characters correctly, so Chinese might work. I used a Cyrillic font, didn't need any manual html, and used the Lit Submission Form to preview.

Fair warning though, not all devices render all html-used fonts correctly. @MediocreAuthor used diacritics in a story that rendered correctly for 99.9% of readers, but my device showed a bunch of squares instead of the characters. She's not tried runes, but I'm on a promise ;).

Worth a try, but I'd definitely use the Preview for the best chance of WYSIWYG.

I would try using the preview system. It helped me when I made Eldritch Pact.

Fair warning though, not all devices render all html-used fonts correctly. @MediocreAuthor used diacritics in a story that rendered correctly for 99.9% of readers, but my device showed a bunch of squares instead of the characters. She's not tried runes, but I'm on a promise ;).

So my exaggerated diacritics looked like this:

H̷̝̜̲̞̤͓̯̻̰͋̈́̕͝e̶̜̒l̶̫̦̮̎̕ͅḷ̸͔͉̘̺̖̦̳̀̌́̋͛̌̈̿͠ͅǫ̷̼̖͉͎̺̮͖̙͋̓̉̂͘͝ ̶̲̖̩̠̪̖̐̋͑̎͝ț̶́͒̓͌̎̇̈́h̸̤̗̽̇̊̋̕̚͝ẽ̸̡̬̺͕͓͊͜͝ȑ̵͙̼͈̠͉̈́e̶̜̼̤͛̄̆̈́

and so far only electricblue and his goofy e-reader have been unable to see the proper results.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Chinese in a story recently. It wasnt more than a couple of characters 你好 but it was there and rendered correctly. The site publishes in lots of nonlatin alphabet languages including Chinese so it shouldnt be a problem.

I should add, for the edification of the board in general, that 肏 means 'fuck' and is composed of the characters 入 which means 'to enter' and 肉 which means 'meat or flesh'. I dont believe its a standard character in the mainland, at least I cant actually type it on my Chinese phone - the character 艹 which just means 'grass/flowers' but which sounds the same tends to be used instead.

Hi everyone. If I wanted to write a couple of Chinse characters in a story otherwise in English (ie language selected being English), will they post? I tried searching but just found threads on characters who are Chinese. To clarify, by "Chinese characters" I mean stuff like --> 肏

Sure can. See e.g. @AwkwardMD's "Long Haul", about halfway down page 1: https://www.literotica.com/s/long-haul-ch-01

(sadly it's munged the spacing around italicised text, but AFAIK that's unrelated)

(sadly it's munged the spacing around italicised text, but AFAIK that's unrelated)
I finally got around to resubmitting the 13 stories of mine that are most affected by that particular gremlin.

The Chinese worked perfectly, though. Go figure.

Thank you everyone. Sounds like I might have luck with just copying and pasting it in and ensuring it translates across to the preview (which is the same strategy I used for the diacritics).
I should add, for the edification of the board in general, that 肏 means 'fuck' and is composed of the characters 入 which means 'to enter' and 肉 which means 'meat or flesh'. I dont believe its a standard character in the mainland, at least I cant actually type it on my Chinese phone - the character 艹 which just means 'grass/flowers' but which sounds the same tends to be used instead.
Funnily enough, this is somewhat the subject of the conversation which prompts the use of the characters.

Yeah, take it from an author who had to translate “ugly mo-fo” to Old Norse for a God of War Predator crossover. Using other languages in stories is fun!

Back