Boys Wear Skirts To Protest No Shorts Policy

adrina

Heretic
Boys wear skirts in protest...

Dozens of boys in southwest England have defiantly swapped their pants out for pleated skirts after being forbidden from wearing shorts to school, despite a heat wave. The students at Isca Academy in Exeter said they borrowed the skirts from sisters and female friends to protest the school’s dress code policy, which requires boys to wear the leg-covering garments while girls have the option of pants or skirts.

As Reeves noted, the protest came as the country battles scorching temperatures that have reached the 90s. Despite that potential health threat, Reeves complained that the school threatened to place her son in isolation all day if he showed up wearing shorts. If she kept him home, it’d be considered an unauthorized absence, she told Devon Live.

“Ryan came up with the idea of wearing a skirt so that evening we borrowed one. He wore it the next day – as did five other boys. This morning there were about 50-60 of them in skirts,” she told The Guardian. “I didn’t expect it to take off like that. The school is being silly really – this is exceptional weather. I was very proud of Ryan. I think it was a great idea.”

And then this... what the hell...?

When at least one of them said they were told that they couldn’t wear the skirts with hairy legs, they fetched razors and shaved them, the boys told Devon Live and The Guardian.

I thought that was particularly odd. Someone has some messed up priorities. Ha.

Girls have been beaten over the head with dress code bullshit for years. Good for the boys for standing up to it. It's freakin' hot. Let the boys wear shorts for crying out loud.

Girls have been beaten over the head with dress code bullshit for years. Good for the boys for standing up to it. It's freakin' hot. Let the boys wear shorts for crying out loud.

There is nothing wrong with a man in a skirt. :rose:

91c4785fc6596a275a10894fdc446e3a--scottish-kilts-men-in-kilts.jpg

There is nothing wrong with a man in a skirt. :rose:

91c4785fc6596a275a10894fdc446e3a--scottish-kilts-men-in-kilts.jpg

Not a damn thing. And I'm quoting with picture just because it was so nice, it should be seen twice. :D (Or thrice if you don't have the idiot above on ignore.)

90s?

That's nothing. I regularly see 90+, often over 100, though not so far this year. Much of the southwest US regularly sees temps over 100 and is currently seeing over 110 for days in a row. Some wear shorts when possible, but most wear long pants.

The average highs are usually what... low 70s for England in summer. That's a twenty degree difference. I think if it were 130 you might want some shorts. Or some AC. :eek:

90s?

That's nothing. I regularly see 90+, often over 100, though not so far this year. Much of the southwest US regularly sees temps over 100 and is currently seeing over 110 for days in a row. Some wear shorts when possible, but most wear long pants.
I've lived in Florida for a long time, when a friend who lived in San Francisco was freaking out about upcoming high's in the lower 80's I laughed. They went on to explain that not all buildings in SF have central air and are built for ventalation, so an 80 degree day there can feel brutal inside. I imagine it might be similar in England.

Not a damn thing. And I'm quoting with picture just because it was so nice, it should be seen twice. :D (Or thrice if you don't have the idiot above on ignore.)

Ignore is a blissful thing when there are idiots are aplenty. Alas, twice was fine with me.

90s?

I wonder if we adapt to our climates and then when there is a large shift we notice it more. Indiana can have all four seasons in one day and I was teasing someone the other day when they said their nights are kind of chilly that we consider those temps heaven. But we also have different humidity issues. The idea of being in temps over 100 degrees for days in Indiana sounds like living hell and some states would not be equipped to run schools and some businesses due to lack of air conditioning.

But I think even when I was in high school the boys threatened to wear skirts (and we did have air conditioning). ;)

English schoolboy in short pants. This is an issue? Sounds more like a stereotype. No cut off jeans maybe if there is a dress code but no shorts!?

If girls can wear pants, why can boys not wear skirts or dresses? :confused: To me, that seems only fair. Even better, would be for people to wear what they want.

Dress codes? Do you mean the requirements for men to wear coats and ties and wool pants while girls and women wear loose short-sleeved blouses and skirts? :confused:

If girls can wear pants, why can boys not wear skirts or dresses? :confused: To me, that seems only fair. Even better, would be for people to wear what they want.

Dress codes? Do you mean the requirements for men to wear coats and ties and wool pants while girls and women wear loose short-sleeved blouses and skirts? :confused:

I think the confused emoji is the correct option for you.

Or where women and girls are subjected to rulers to measure inches of skirts or widths of straps. :rolleyes:

If you read my post where I cheered on the boys for their stance and supported them you might have responded differently perhaps?

Good for them. Technically correct is the best kind of correct when dealing with unnecessary rules.

Or where women and girls are subjected to rulers to measure inches of skirts or widths of straps. :rolleyes:

If you read my post where I cheered on the boys for their stance and supported them you might have responded differently perhaps?

You didn't clearly express an opinion, but I think I agree with you about skirts, etc. However, I disagree with you if you think females have traditionally had tougher dress codes than males. Knee-length skirts are accepted in offices everywhere I have ever worked, at least for women. Men have not had that level of freedom. :eek:

You didn't clearly express an opinion, but I think I agree with you about skirts, etc. However, I disagree with you if you think females have traditionally had tougher dress codes than males. Knee-length skirts are accepted in offices everywhere I have ever worked, at least for women. Men have not had that level of freedom. :eek:

Every other poster in this thread but you (and the troll) had no problem understanding her opinion. And put on a pair of nylons, heels, and makeup every day for a week and please get back to me. While the heels and makeup requirement was eventually dropped, I have worked in office environments where nylons are still a requirement (and a pricey one at that when you consider how easily they run) and how uncomfortable they can be in the heat and humidity. Oh, it wasn't until the 70s and 80s the makeup and heels requirement went out the window; however, women were still intimidated into wearing them.

But please, tell me more about these uncomfortable things called dress pants (because suit jackets are/were required for us as well)....

I wasn't clear enough? Did you need a billboard with a twenty foot high message in neon letters? I don't know how I could have been clearer.

In schools, girls are much more likely to have the dress code enforced against them. That's just reality. Which is what we are talking about here. Yes, suits suck. Wear a lighter fabric. At the same time, there is a also the other other part of the year called winter which definitely favors suits but does not favor women's typical office wear. Do you need to play scorekeeper further or are we good now?

Yeah, but girls can carry purses with all sorts of cool stuff in them. :(

Denny

I went to school in the midwest. In summers it gets to 100 degrees. No males wore shorts to school, except in gym classes. Most of us lived. AC wasn't invented back then.

QUOTE=SgtSpiderMan;86455914]I've lived in Florida for a long time, when a friend who lived in San Francisco was freaking out about upcoming high's in the lower 80's I laughed. They went on to explain that not all buildings in SF have central air and are built for ventalation, so an 80 degree day there can feel brutal inside. I imagine it might be similar in England.[/QUOTE]We lived in Florida 23 years. My shorts kept getting shorter until I noticed the "pretty boys" wear short shorts. Now that we moved back to the midwest I only wear my short shorts in the house..... or nothing.

Yeah, but girls can carry purses with all sorts of cool stuff in them. :(
You can put cool stuff in your purse if you promise not to hit us boys with it.

Back