Biden signs bill to protect same-sex and interracial marriages

Come_Hither1

Literotica Guru

Biden signs marriage equality bill into law​

1670968085245.jpg

President Biden after signing the Respect for Marriage Act in Washington, D.C., on Dec. 13

President Biden on Tuesday signed a bill codifying federal recognition of same-sex and interracial marriage.

Why it matters: The Respect for Marriage Act, which the House passed last week, comes amid heightened concerns about the right to gay marriage following the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

• Thousands of lawmakers and advocates attended the signing ceremony on the South Lawn of the White House, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, (D-N.Y.) and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, who is gay.

Driving the news: Earlier this year, Justice Clarence Thomas wrote in a concurring opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson, which overturned Roe v. Wade, that the court should revisit several other landmark cases — including Obergefell v. Hodges, which legalized gay marriage.

• The new law ensures federal recognition of marriage regardless of sex, race, ethnicity or national origin and requires all states to recognize valid marriages conducted in places where they are legal.

• It also repeals the Defense of Marriage Act, which established a federal definition of marriage as a "legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife," but does not require states to allow same-sex marriage as is held under the 2015 Supreme Court decision Obergefell.

Great news, but codifying interracial marriage as well?! wtaf - you mean it wasn't before? Sheesh

Great news, but codifying interracial marriage as well?! wtaf - you mean it wasn't before? Sheesh
wtaf - that was my exact reaction when I saw this headline, too.

Is there anyone who can explain to the uninformed (me) of this situation why a federal bill was required to recognise interracial marriages?

The headline indicates interracial marriages may not be recognised under certain circumstances (unless I've misunderstood the headline). Do some US states not recognise such marriages?

Thanks in advance.

Back