Aug 29th 2005 Hurricane Katrina

Kantarii

I'm Not A Bitch!
On this day, Aug. 29 ...
2005: Hurricane Katrina slams into the U.S. Gulf Coast, destroying beachfront towns in Mississippi and Louisiana, displacing a million people, and killing more than 1,000.

Where were you when it hit?

Last edited:
On this day, Aug. 29 ...
2005: Hurricane Katrina slams into the U.S. Gulf Coast, destroying beachfront towns in Mississippi and Louisiana, displacing a million people, and killing more than 1,000.

Where were you when it hit?

Jakarta.

But there was a lot more waterfront property.

Meanwhile, my Day in History attention was grabbed a few days ago by the Kellogg-Briand Pact, which was signed in 1928 and outlawed war. A big success in its time in Europe. We ought to try that now, only with guns. You know, have gun-free zones. Schools, workplaces, stores. One stroke, problem solved.

One thing I haven’t forgotten about was the price for a gallon of gas in Atlanta after hurricane Katrina. That was crazy.

Last edited:
I think South Georgia seen a few tornados, nothing up my way on the Northside of Atlanta.

You might want to look at this map. Granted it covers a lot of years, and isn't as many as the Great Plains, but still, pretty much every county has seen a tornado or two. If you click on the blue circles, it will tell you the town and the date. Most of the northeastern tornadoes have occurred in the 2000s. Although, that doesn't mean there has been one in your neighborhood, of course. :) But it is a lot more than I would have guessed.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt...d-the-most-tornadoes/3oBJQDjd0MyKa4fvQxTLYP/#

You might want to look at this map. Granted it covers a lot of years, and isn't as many as the Great Plains, but still, pretty much every county has seen a tornado or two. If you click on the blue circles, it will tell you the town and the date. Most of the northeastern tornadoes have occurred in the 2000s. Although, that doesn't mean there has been one in your neighborhood, of course. :) But it is a lot more than I would have guessed.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt...d-the-most-tornadoes/3oBJQDjd0MyKa4fvQxTLYP/#

Wow, I had no idea about the area east of Athens. But, there’s nothing out there worth a flip anyway.

But there was a lot more waterfront property.

Meanwhile, my Day in History attention was grabbed a few days ago by the Kellogg-Briand Pact, which was signed in 1928 and outlawed war. A big success in its time in Europe. We ought to try that now, only with guns. You know, have gun-free zones. Schools, workplaces, stores. One stroke, problem solved.

It's certainly nice to know the, in the 1930's, Germany and the USSR did not invade Poland, Italy did not invade Ethiopia and Japan did not invade China.

Well, we might get some rain from Dorian here.

If it's a serious storm, with extensive property damage and loss of life, The Donald will be blamed for it. You might think that's silly, and I would have thought so too, but I remember Hurricane Katrina. The leftists on this forum managed to blame W for that one, and I would expect them to do the same this time, and blame the GOP POTUS. It doesn't make any sense to me either. :(

If it's a serious storm, with extensive property damage and loss of life, The Donald will be blamed for it. You might think that's silly, and I would have thought so too, but I remember Hurricane Katrina. The leftists on this forum managed to blame W for that one, and I would expect them to do the same this time, and blame the GOP POTUS. It doesn't make any sense to me either. :(

Yeah, FEMA caught Hell back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxlicker101 View Post
If it's a serious storm, with extensive property damage and loss of life, The Donald will be blamed for it. You might think that's silly, and I would have thought so too, but I remember Hurricane Katrina. The leftists on this forum managed to blame W for that one, and I would expect them to do the same this time, and blame the GOP POTUS. It doesn't make any sense to me either.

Yeah, FEMA caught Hell back then.

But the Dem. gov. of La and the Dem mayor of New Orleans both got a pass. :eek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxlicker101 View Post
If it's a serious storm, with extensive property damage and loss of life, The Donald will be blamed for it. You might think that's silly, and I would have thought so too, but I remember Hurricane Katrina. The leftists on this forum managed to blame W for that one, and I would expect them to do the same this time, and blame the GOP POTUS. It doesn't make any sense to me either.

But the Dem. gov. of La and the Dem mayor of New Orleans both got a pass. :eek:

Pretty much.

FEMA rightfully caught hell for poor, unorganized response and things like this:

"News reports of health issues relating to Katrina-issue FEMA trailers began to appear in July 2006. A federal report in July 2008 identified toxic levels of formaldehyde in 42% of the trailers examined, attributing problems to poor construction and substandard building materials. As of 2012, two class-action lawsuits were settled, between residents of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Texas, and (1) manufacturers who built mobile homes for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and (2) FEMA contractors who installed and maintained them."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEMA_trailer

Back