Ask a MtF TG a question

The Danish Girl was what kicked off 2016 for me, as I waited impatiently for its eventual release in the UK on the 1st Jan.
NaokoSmith asked me to write a review

Assuming you have seen it already, then tell me what you thought - I'd be really interested to see what other thought of it.

- see, no spoilers here!

Thanks for everyone's New Year wishes :rose::heart:

Last edited:
The Danish Girl was what kicked off 2016 for me, as I waited impatiently for its eventual release in the UK on the 1st Jan.
NaokoSmith asked me to write review and I'll add a link later.

Assuming you have seen it already, then tell me what you thought - I'd be really interested to see what other thought of it.

- see, no spoliers here!

Happy New Years Sticks. Hope this year is as good as you deserve ... which will make it the best year ever for you. :rose::kiss::heart:

NaokoSmith asked me to write a review
Thanks for the review. Pretty sure I won't be seeing it.

Any thoughts on Tangerine? It's good that both leads are trans, but at the same time it seems to uphold stereotypes of trans women (esp. of colour) as sex workers.

Also, I saw this ad for Magnum ice cream bars at an advertising film festival the other day (clip is at the bottom of the article). The performers are identified as 'drag queens' though they may be gender-nonconforming in other ways. I can't tell if any specifically identify as trans. On the one hand, I applaud the ad agency for normalizing gender-nonconforming individuals in this way, but it still leaves me feeling slightly 'off' - perhaps there's something exploitative or stereotypical about it that I can't articulate.

A happy new year to you too! :heart:

I'd say both the above fall into the sex-worker meme :rolleyes:
"What's your pleasure?" being the sign off for the advert... I hope I can forget it before next summer, because I really like Magnums :(

I dunno - it's difficult to get a feel for how things are in the USA because most trans news, certainly recently, is celebrity spin versus black trans murders. Hardly something to be optimistic about huh?

Haven't seen Tangerine yet - it's too expensive to buy and I think I already know the genre-style. I admire the film-makers though: shooting a full-length on iphone is badass :)

We don't hear enough from Paris Lees, but as her article illustrates, that is a good thing too.

I think people are just plain jealous of Jenner's (apparent) wealth and are using trans as a convenient stick. All the same, I wish she would shut the fuck up, because people are becoming too practised at dissing trans on her account... but then the media would just invent it so *pfft*

A good read

Well, a day of numerous cups of tea and endless tissues later, I have speed-read The Art of Being Normal, by Lisa Williamson

It's a good read for any parent or adult dealing with trans teenagers or, come to that, anyone with an interest in the real side of being a young trans.
I'm still processing what I've read, but it is sensitively written, embracing many aspects of being trans, not least navigating through school. The first-time author has woven a likeable tale and I can forgive her for making an ending that might vary from the experience of every trans kid, because ultimately she is writing fiction.

I'm really excited about the UK govts Transgender Equality 1st report published today.
Imagine being excited about a govt report!! :D
Imagine looking forward to reading it this evening!!
Imagine...
Equality

:).

I heard in the news today and thought, I wonder what Sticky girl will say on this. :), and how it will look from her pov when she has seen it. :)
Early responses include some disappointments for the non-binary and asylum pov, but that'll come. Stonewall are now ( finally ) onboard so that's another powerful block. There's an awful lot of good recommendations though and Jess Philips MP is the woman of today - she rocks :)
Supper first then reading properly

PS it was in the news?! :eek:

Some commentary on the report here: http://www.sarahlizzy.com/blog/?p=333
That's a good synopsis. I suppose each of us will pick out particular points and I'll go with the positive suggestions about reducing the age for treatments and getting rid of the GRC. It is extraordinary that the spousal veto wasn't tackled but, selfishly, that is something I'll never have to deal with - where can the equality be in that, when it places the mariage document as being more important than an individual?!
Also yes, medical services are patchy at best in the UK. I have a good relationship with my GP because she's attached to the university anyway. Two of the other GPs in the practise are asshoes and shouldn't be treating anyone, let alone LGBT. I generally go in and tell my doc what I need, we discuss and generally she agrees. I am glad that I travelled abroad for my surgery, which was better, faster and in a warm place ;)
We'll see how it all progresses to the next stages.

I think this school's policy will not only accommodate transgender students, but will also benefit girls who get thrust into visually reinforced roles that discourage them from excelling in sports, math, science, and engineering.

I think this school's policy will not only accommodate transgender students, but will also benefit girls who get thrust into visually reinforced roles that discourage them from excelling in sports, math, science, and engineering.
That's right - and apparently a number of girls have already jumped at the chance to wear trousers :)

Q: Isn't this a "jumping on the bandwagon" issue? Transgender issues are suddenly very prominent in the UK Press so they're now essentially saying "oh look at us, aren't we cool, aren't we "down with da kidz" (American meaning of 'down' inferred here).

Why couldn't they have stated they're abolishing the different uniforms simply to make everyone equal? How are schools still allowed to enforce differences in dress code between girls and boys given the plethora of anti-discrimination legislation already in existence? My very young daughter is quite a TomBoy and would I'm sure appreciate a level playing field regarding school uniform.

Stating that a change (of any type in any situation) is being made to accommodate one particular minority section of society can, for people who are predisposed to prejudice, simply give them something else to 'bang on about'.

Q: Isn't this a "jumping on the bandwagon" issue? Transgender issues are suddenly very prominent in the UK Press so they're now essentially saying "oh look at us, aren't we cool, aren't we "down with da kidz" (American meaning of 'down' inferred here).

Trans issues are getting more sympathetic coverage than they used to, but not enough so that I'd consider it easy populism. It's only a couple of years since the Daily Fail did its hatchet job on Lucy Meadows.

The school head mentioned that they already had pupils for whom this was an issue, so I'm inclined to take the charitable interpretation and think they genuinely were doing this for the well-being of those pupils.

Why couldn't they have stated they're abolishing the different uniforms simply to make everyone equal?

Abolish uniforms altogether? In a public school? THE HORROR!!!!!

Stating that a change (of any type in any situation) is being made to accommodate one particular minority section of society can, for people who are predisposed to prejudice, simply give them something else to 'bang on about'.

Yeah, it can do. But it also sends a message to that minority that management is on their side.

I went to a fairly conservative school with a religious bent. I was very interested to hear that the new head gave a speech where he expressed support for same-sex marriage - not just as a personal opinion, but in his official capacity as headmaster - because he acknowledged that some of the kids in the audience were going to fall in love with people of their own sex, and they deserved a shot at happiness. That's a hugely important thing for those kids to know that their school has their back.

The answer to your question is no, this school is not simply "jumping on the bandwagon". They are not following. They are being a leader, in the same way that certain people were leaders in the early days of the civil rights movement in America.

In addition to the obvious civil rights issue here, enforcing an archaic and binary view of gender identification has become a public health issue.

Why couldn't they have stated they're abolishing the different uniforms simply to make everyone equal? How are schools still allowed to enforce differences in dress code between girls and boys given the plethora of anti-discrimination legislation already in existence? My very young daughter is quite a TomBoy and would I'm sure appreciate a level playing field regarding school uniform.
They did - my bad for not quoting more of the article - now added below

Richard Cairns, the headteacher, said the move followed discussions with a small number of families. “The college’s approach is different from most other schools that have tended to give transgender children personal leeway with uniform. Brighton College has instead decided to abolish the notion of boys’ and girl’ schools altogether,” he said.
“It ties in with my strong personal belief that youngsters should be respected for who they are. If some boys and girls are happier identifying with a different gender from that in which they were born, then my job is to make sure that we accommodate that. My only interest as headmaster is their welfare and happiness.”

So this is not so much "giving transgender kids extra freedom" and so providing another stick with which to beat them ( as if another were needed ). This is saying "we don't mind which uniform kids wear".

Too many, dare I say, older generation people are stuck with the idea that schools should be like a Junior verson of the armed forces, with all the Discipline, Uniforms, Punishment meated out to conscripts. Of course kids need discipline, but you need a different mindset for children and I think the "uniform" title kinda blurs with the military version.

None of these progressive ideas work without it being joined-up. Unless the school is on top of bullying, then a trans girl in particular is still going to be laughed at and mocked. But then there's a weird generational notion that bullying is character building:rolleyes: Code Red anyone?

I am a skirt and natural fibres person, and not everyone can afford good wool trousers for school uniform or want to proclaim 'hey, I get thrush in poly fibres!'.
I'm learning this :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification SG, seems Headmaster Cairns is a smart cookie, I guess this kind of 'joined up thinking' is what you get when 'go private'.

I'm body conscious - women are forced to be, so I notice bodies. One trope that's always rolled out by haters is that 'you can spot a tranny cuz they're shoulders are wider than their hips...' . I disagree: women's body shapes are not made to a formula and there are plenty of young athletic women who look great - and - their shoulders are at least equal width to their hips
daisy-ridley-john-boyega-star-wars-european-premiere-01.jpg
Daisy Ridley from the new Star Wars
jessica-ennis-6.jpg
Jessica Ennis-Hill
Victoria-Pendleton-Cyclist.jpg
Victoria Pendleton - Olympic cyclist
article-2494872-148FA0CD000005DC-647_306x627.jpg
Laura Trott - another Olympic cyclist
Kate+Beckinsale+Attends+Underworld+Awakening+I9GcYzKvYCTl.jpg
Kate Beckinsale
Wolf-Alice-Blush-EP_600_600.jpeg
Ellie Rowsell ( plays in a band, kinda cool and hot all in one )

All hot women with wider shoulders than hips :p

so I'm calling bullshit :cool:

Last edited:
Back