APA American Psychiatric Association expresses worries for anti LGBTQI legislation

stickygirl

All the witches

About time. There's more on the post from Transadvocate

"Our organizations, representing nearly 600,000 physicians and medical students, firmly believe the trusted relationship between a physician and their patient should never be jeopardized by the actions of policymakers, and a physician should not be criminalized or penalized for providing care.

Our organizations have consistently opposed any legislation or regulation that interferes in the confidential relationship between a patient and their physician and the provision of evidence-based patient care for any patient. Patients must be able to discuss health issues like reproductive care, family planning and gender-affirming care with their trusted physician to determine together what care is best for them.

We reiterate that all patients must have access to evidence-based, comprehensive medical care, and that physicians must be able to practice medicine that is informed by their education, training, and experience. This includes reproductive health services and information and gender-affirming care.

We are deeply concerned that legislation and legal opinions across the country will endanger patients and clinicians by allowing private citizens and policymakers to interfere in health care decision-making. The patient-physician relationship, not politics, is the backbone of medicine."

My primary care physician has never allowed government intrusion to interfere with him advising his patients on how to cope with the dramatic increase in government intrusion. He's in his early 70s, and notices the big swing toward certain state governments trying to control the relationships among doctors, therapists, professional educators, and the public

He recently told me, "For a bunch of people who say they value freedom, these right-wing legislators are trying to control every part of our existence." He also said that mental health complaints have now surpassed diabetes as the number one affliction he addresses in his practice.

It’s Christo fascism. It’s an attack on progress, truth, science, liberties and the right to challenge the wrongs. Don’t despair, tho. This is a handful of extremists. There are way more ppl interested in democracy who will run these terrorists out of town. Don’t squander your vote

It is really nice to see a professional organization stand up and make this statement.
Of course I hope the politicians read, and give the APA serious consideration.....but sadly I have little faith in that outcome.

It is really nice to see a professional organization stand up and make this statement.
Of course I hope the politicians read, and give the APA serious consideration.....but sadly I have little faith in that outcome.
The APA actually knows the lunatics are running the country but is powerless to intervene :(

The APA actually knows the lunatics are running the country but is powerless to intervene :(
Absolutely! As I see it, the value of this statement is it allows rational citizens to hear from this part of the medical profession and know they promote confidentiality, and the importance of allowing doctors not politicians to direct care.
Of course the ideal would be a politician reading this and backing the ability of medical practices to provide this care to all patients.

Absolutely! As I see it, the value of this statement is it allows rational citizens to hear from this part of the medical profession and know they promote confidentiality, and the importance of allowing doctors not politicians to direct care.
Of course the ideal would be a politician reading this and backing the ability of medical practices to provide this care to all patients.
Quite.

Let us never forget the words of the repub senator Todd Akin in 2012

Todd Akin, Missouri’s Republican Senate candidate, sparked controversy with a claim, made in a TV interview posted Sunday, that victims of “legitimate rape” very rarely get pregnant because their bodies prevent them from doing so.
Speaking to Charles Jaco on the Jaco Report on St. Louis’s Fox station, Akin was answering a question about allowing abortions in the case of rape. He said, “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Of course if any woman took advantage of this miraculous technique in 2024, she would be arrested for wasting sperm.

Of course if any woman took advantage of this miraculous technique in 2024, she would be arrested for wasting sperm.
Hey! maybe before long, in places like Missouri, guys will be arrested for spilling their seed by stroking it ⚡
Oh wait..... can't have that!

Quite.

Let us never forget the words of the repub senator Todd Akin in 2012

Todd Akin, Missouri’s Republican Senate candidate, sparked controversy with a claim, made in a TV interview posted Sunday, that victims of “legitimate rape” very rarely get pregnant because their bodies prevent them from doing so.
Speaking to Charles Jaco on the Jaco Report on St. Louis’s Fox station, Akin was answering a question about allowing abortions in the case of rape. He said, “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Disgusting remarks from ignorant people.

Back