Alright then. No more lurking!

When you don't feel creative you're still collecting data for some future poem. I don't just collect data about her morning habits for some future poem, I'm sifting through all the normal stuff too. But when I feel compelled it's usually because of some bliss brought on by her existence, and then everything can tumble out whether it's about congress, birds, or her private habits.

Not all my output derives from bliss. Some quite the opposite. Getting things out, possibly sharing, helps me and may help someone else as well.

........To me there's a distinction between erotic and sensual poetry on this website, the erotic is fun, sexy, the sensual is when spirit imbues the erotic......

I hadn't thought about it in those terms previously; very helfpul.

Not all my output derives from bliss. Some quite the opposite. Getting things out, possibly sharing, helps me and may help someone else as well.

I like, however, Emp607's idea of bliss compelling action. I think of the muse as a prime mover. What also fascinates me is how for some unknown reason that action can result in the delight of a finished poem an hour later in some cases, whereas with others, I think the same, put it aside for a moment, come back to it, and suddenly realize how much work is still needed, sometimes resulting in 99% effort thereafter.

I'm talking more the bliss Joseph Campbell mentions in the Power of Myth. You follow your bliss when you write, even when you're writing out of anger. The urge to write has always been pleasurable to me, even when I've been bummed about everything. Either you're depressed and have no urge to expression, or you're depressed and have urgency to expression. I just call it bliss, because it's a difficult feeling to express. There are plenty of instances where we become mechanical in our writing. I'm talking about the muse that moves the necessity of expression. For me its always been in human form, primarily strawberry-blonde frustration.

Last edited:
I'm talking more the bliss Joseph Campbell mentions in the Power of Myth. You follow your bliss when you write, even when you're writing out of anger. The urge to write has always been pleasurable to me, even when I've been bummed about everything. Either you're depressed and have no urge to expression, or you're depressed and have urgency to expression. I just call it bliss, because it's a difficult feeling to express. There are plenty of instances where we become mechanical in our writing. I'm talking about the muse that moves the necessity of expression. For me its always been in human form, primarily strawberry-blonde frustration.

Thanks for the insight. Not exactly sure that bliss is the word I'd use, but did some looking around (Joseph Campbell). Reminds me of a Baudelaire quote I heard long ago -
Always be drunk, whether with wine, poetry or virtue ...

Thanks for the insight. Not exactly sure that bliss is the word I'd use, but did some looking around (Joseph Campbell). Reminds me of a Baudelaire quote I heard long ago -
Always be drunk, whether with wine, poetry or virtue ...

Reading Joseph Campbell is very helpful in writing poetry, he lived in the world of symbol and metaphor. This is the quote you probably read from the book:

BILL MOYERS: Do you ever have the sense of... being helped by hidden hands?

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: All the time. It is miraculous. I even have a superstition that has grown on me as a result of invisible hands coming all the time - namely, that if you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in your field of bliss, and they open doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be.

-Muse is the hidden hands, bliss is the field of Muse. It's mostly frustrating trying to write quality poems, but the urge to do so is a feeling to live by. I'm still interested if JamesC has anything to say about the ways his very specific muse moves him.

-Muse is the hidden hands, bliss is the field of Muse. It's mostly frustrating trying to write quality poems, but the urge to do so is a feeling to live by. I'm still interested if JamesC has anything to say about the ways his very specific muse moves him.

I call Corinna my muse because I would not be writing today if not for her. She inspires me, encourages me, celebrates my success and comforts me in failure, provides feedback and advice as I am working, appreciates whatever beauties my poems might possess-- and I do the same for her. On some level, she's every woman in every poem I've written; she's the feminine for me. Perhaps most importantly, she validates my effort. Poetry today, among all the arts, has very little in the way of a framework within which to operate, standards of form or genre to be fulfilled, and tastes vary wildly. Yet everyone who writes poetry wants to communicate. In the first instance, I'm communicating with my muse; she's my first reader.

Ron says "Are you on that bloody computer again, what are you doing now?"
"Writing poetry dear, I have a challenge to prepare."
"Well wouldn't you be better off preparing my dinner, don't you know what time it is?"
"Yes dear I'll be there in a minute."

2 hours later

"Annieeeeeeee!"

Oops reality methinks!

Best leave it where it is then take to long to explain that Ron although often part of my muse, as can be seen in some of my poetry, isn't always that sympathetico with what I'm trying to write!

Best leave it where it is then take to long to explain that Ron although often part of my muse, as can be seen in some of my poetry, isn't always that sympathetico with what I'm trying to write!

I know, sometimes my wife says I spend too much time on my poetry.

Back