Abandoned series.

Way2go

Virgin
Probably a dumbass question, but is there any way within Literotica's rules, that I can finish a series begun (and now abandoned) by another author?

The series in question started in 2007 and the author has not been active on Literotica since 2009. I have my own ideas as to how the stories would progress but I don't want to just dive in and end up being banned or something. I tried to contact the author but there was no response and after 15 years, it's obvious he is no longer a member. Can anyone help?

Per the Submission Guidelines, one of the requirements is that: "You’re the sole creator of the work, you own the copyright, and you grant Literotica the legal rights to publish the submitted work."

I don't believe you'd be considered the 'sole creator' in this instance.

I certainly think you could write something inspired by that original work, but continuing where the author left off I think would go against the guidelines.

This question comes up all the time, and the conventional wisdom is that you can't. The intellectual property belongs to the original author.

But this is bullshit. Copyright law is based on value and profit and lost revenue. Stories on Literotica are posted for free, anonymously, and with no contractual consideration. If you post a continuation, you are not taking any money out of anyone's pocket or any bread out of anyone's mouth. Sure, it is nice to email the original author for permission, but if they don't answer, they clearly don't care.

So I say, go for it.

This question comes up all the time, and the conventional wisdom is that you can't. The intellectual property belongs to the original author.

But this is bullshit. Copyright law is based on value and profit and lost revenue. Stories on Literotica are posted for free, anonymously, and with no contractual consideration. If you post a continuation, you are not taking any money out of anyone's pocket or any bread out of anyone's mouth. Sure, it is nice to email the original author for permission, but if they don't answer, they clearly don't care.

So I say, go for it.

Stealing is not okay even if the thing being stolen isn’t of great monetary value. Reducing all things to money is a disappointing response in my opinion.

You don’t steal others’ stories, not because it would be punishable in court, but because it’s the right thing to do. Don’t be an ass. Do right.

Go back to the beginning and write it again. I have done this. I emailed the original author, waited 6 months and then with no response, published. Highlighting it was originally by another author but I bazzled the story.

I have then created my own story arc. The original was 5k words, mine is now probably over 60k.

Peeps who liked the original, also liked mine. Which was a bonus!

B

To post more work as if it went in that series? Kinda a bad move. BUT if you were to try and "re-do" it with only a very thin veneer of changing things up, even to the point of almost copying the originals... or stating what you stand on and such... maybe so.

Probably a dumbass question, but is there any way within Literotica's rules, that I can finish a series begun (and now abandoned) by another author?

The series in question started in 2007 and the author has not been active on Literotica since 2009. I have my own ideas as to how the stories would progress but I don't want to just dive in and end up being banned or something. I tried to contact the author but there was no response and after 15 years, it's obvious he is no longer a member. Can anyone help?
Ask Laurel, the site owner. To do so, click the envelope symbol in the upper right.

There was an author here, FinishTheDamnStory, who wrote 59 stories that were continuations of abandoned series. There is an author CB_Grl_Dani who does a lot of rewriting of other author's stories, typically without the author's permission. The most recent time she did this was 10/26/22. Here's the beginning of the first chapter:
AN: Inspired by Scouries Two Pregnant Moms & A Sis?

Dearest Readers, while this story borrows the original story premise I have changed it to suit my narrative while keeping the characters, and some lines of dialogue. from the above-mentioned story, The character portrayals have been changed to suit my writing style and many other things were fleshed out.

I sought the author's blessing but after waiting a month with no response (he hasn't been active here since Nov of 2020) so I am going ahead with my story. I hope you enjoy my take on this tale.
Based on what's published here, I would think Laurel would approve, but better safe than sorry.

Just added this to my profile to avoid any future misunderstandings of my intent in this regard. Might seem to be presumptive and petty to some, but totally worth it if I take a few years off and come back to find someone has used my characters/stories in a way that I never intended.

I strongly feel this should be the assumed default for all writers who haven't explicitly approved a continuation of their stories.

***Please note that I explicitly deny any and all requests in advance to reproduce, continue, pick up or extend any of my published stories or characters. Likewise any requests to link to my work for the purpose of promoting the work of another writer on this site or any other. I encourage everyone who is inspired by any of my work to create their own original stories, characters and settings and develop their own audience through the standard process that I and others used to develop their audience. There is no reasonable time limit after which this request will expire and failure to respond to any request to override should be considered a denial. Thank you for respecting the time, work and creativity that went into developing these original stories and characters.***

I disagree to some extent with 8Letters on this issue.

Laurel, the Site owner, has stated this as her policy on this issue, in a message that she sent me when I asked her this question:
Hello Simon,

Thanks for writing and I hope you are well.

Our policy on works derivative of other Literotica author's creations is: to avoid conflicts after posting we ask that you please contact the original author and get permission before submitting and let readers know in the intro to the story that you have such permission. Also, please credit the original author's story. If the original author has given blanket permission within the text of the original story, then the continuing author does not need to ask for specific permission. However, if the original author requests that we remove any derivative work, we will remove it - even if permission was given previously.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks again and take care.

The Site also makes it very clear that the author is the sole creator and owner of the copyright in the work.

Writing a sequel to someone else's story is NOT a fair use of the work. It's not, period. It is a derivative work, and under the US Copyright Code authorship of derivative works is the exclusive right of the original author. The Site has made it clear, in its stated policy, that you are expected to respect the author's copyrights.

However, it's also clear that the Site does not rigorously enforce this expectation/rule. It appears to allow people to continue stories without the original author's persmission, but with the understanding that if at any time the original author objects the Site will take the story down.

So, what should you do?

You can choose to do with what you can probably get away with, at least for a while, or you can do what is a) courteous to the original author, b) consistent with the clear intent of the Site's stated rule, even if not its observed practices, and c) consistent with copyright law principles. For me this is an easy choice, but some people are content if they know they can get away with it.

Just added this to my profile to avoid any future misunderstandings of my intent in this regard. Might seem to be presumptive and petty to some, but totally worth it if I take a few years off and come back to find someone has used my characters/stories in a way that I never intended.

I strongly feel this should be the assumed default for all writers who haven't explicitly approved a continuation of their stories.

***Please note that I explicitly deny any and all requests in advance to reproduce, continue, pick up or extend any of my published stories or characters. Likewise any requests to link to my work for the purpose of promoting the work of another writer on this site or any other. I encourage everyone who is inspired by any of my work to create their own original stories, characters and settings and develop their own audience through the standard process that I and others used to develop their audience. There is no reasonable time limit after which this request will expire and failure to respond to any request to override should be considered a denial. Thank you for respecting the time, work and creativity that went into developing these original stories and characters.***

May um, steal this. With your permission of course.

I disagree with a lot of SimonDoom's conclusion, but there's one that I particularly want to discuss:
I think you are doing the original author a favor by continuing the series
A series posted in 2007 is close to dead here. It's getting very few reads. By continuing the series, you are bring fresh attention to the original author's work. Many readers who would never have known that it existed will read it.

This question comes up occasionally. No, not unless you've contacted the original author and explicitly obtained permission to finish the series.

I disagree with a lot of SimonDoom's conclusion, but there's one that I particularly want to discuss:
A series posted in 2007 is close to dead here. It's getting very few reads. By continuing the series, you are bring fresh attention to the original author's work. Many readers who would never have known that it existed will read it.
You are not honoring the proprietary interest of the original author, though--and therefore, as an author yourself, you should be ashamed of yourself.

And I could not disagree more. It's presumptuous of anyone to assume that one is doing an author a favor without the author's express permission.

The fact that so many authors in the Author's Hangout have weighed in on this issue and taken the opposite position should put this argument to rest, once and for all. It's not up to YOU to decide if you are doing the author a favor; it's up to the author. And jhealy55 is absolutely right: you should presume a lack of consent unless you have it.

The author may NOT WANT fresh attention to his/her work. It's possible that the author forgot to take steps to remove the work, but for whatever personal reasons doesn't want further attention paid to it. In that case, one is not doing the author any favors; one is potentially causing the author grief. But the bottom line is you have no clue, without communication and consent, whether you are doing the author any favors, and it's presumptuous to assume in the absence of evidence that you are.

The courteous and more professional thing to do is to write your own story, based loosely on the ideas of the author whose story you admire so much, and finish it the way you want to without unauthorized violation of their rights and expectations.

A good idea would be to read the many threads here on this topic.

While a few people here think differently, I think it’s fair to say the majority of authors believe that the series and the characters belong to the original author and you shouldn’t use them without their explicit permission. “The dude didn’t reply,” is not explicit permission.

As I say, a minority take a different view and there are examples of the site tolerating it.

Best advice is to write an “inspired by” story. Not an explicit continuation. If you do, please acknowledge and provide a link to your inspiration, it’s only polite.

Emily

A good idea would be to read the many threads here on this topic.

While a few people here think differently, I think it’s fair to say the majority of authors believe that the series and the characters belong to the original author and you shouldn’t use them without their explicit permission. “The dude didn’t reply,” is not explicit permission.

As I say, a minority take a different view and there are examples of the site tolerating it.

Best advice is to write an “inspired by” story. Not an explicit continuation. If you do, please acknowledge and provide a link to your inspiration, it’s only polite.
Just to be clear, what I am saying is:
1. What the OP is proposing appears to be within the site rules based on what the site has published in the past
2. I don't think anyone should criticize an author for publishing something that's within the site rules

I personally have no intention of continuing someone else's series or rewriting someone else's story.

Just to be clear, what I am saying is:
1. What the OP is proposing appears to be within the site rules based on what the site has published in the past
2. I don't think anyone should criticize an author for publishing something that's within the site rules
They should if the site rules are at variance to common decency and politeness. And I’m well aware of the February Sucks counterexample. When I leave here (death, exasperation, or - most likely - children) I wouldn’t want people to reuse my characters. I am very pro-consent.
I personally have no intention of continuing someone else's series or rewriting someone else's story.
No aspersions being cast your way at all. It’s an ethical issue and reasonable people can take different stances, which I tried to reflect in my post.

Emily

For those who might think my objection is unreasonable, I'll put it this way:

If you're my date, sure you can take a fry off my plate without asking if I get up to go to the bathroom during the meal. If you're at another table, assume that there will be a consequence if you touch my food without permission. Like, one that will remind you every day for the rest of your life that you crossed a line that most reasonable people would never even consider.

Same goes with my extended leg-room, orchestra, box or 45 yard line seat if it takes longer than you think it should to get a beer, have a smoke or take a bathroom break. No, you can't take it without asking. Even if I'm gone for half the games or concert series that year. I might be sick, dealing with a personal issue, stranded on a deserted island or tied up with work. I may show up late. In which case I will draw as much embarrassing attention as I can to the fact that you took my seat(s) without permission. I will bring the usher with me. We will turn on a flashlight and check tickets. I will be loud. You will not slink away unnoticed.

If you worked at a bank and saw $10K sitting in an account that hadn't had a deposit or withdrawal in 10 years, would you feel entitled to 'take over the account' because the person who is listed doesn't answer the phone or respond to a letter? If a delivery box has sat by my door for a week, does that make it okay to just pick it up and take it home, maybe open it up? Even if you rang my bell first?

Point being, you have no idea what I had to do, to sacrifice, or endure to be able to buy that meal, secure that ticket, build that bank balance or write that story. You don't know the plans I had for it or why it has taken me longer to get to it than I had originally intended. Hence, you have no way to calculate the perceived value that it has to me. So, you can't blame me if you think it's no big deal to take it without my permission, but I see it as the most valuable thing I own, or something I put my heart and soul into over a long period of time. Which is why you should always assume that it is.
I only have one username here and I post all my submissions, comments, etc. under that user. I read a few stories here and there, but as a rule I don't rate any other author's work. I will sometimes reach out to encourage other authors in private or in a forum like this. No one who is out there creating original work for free needs any more negativity than we already get through votes/comments.
That said, I think this is the one area where I'd start a thread and encourage other users to one-bomb the living crap out of any story that someone picked up w/out verifiable written permission from the creator. If only to discourage anyone else from attempting the same.

It's true. I can't stop you from doing something that would offend many authors here, but neither can you prevent those of us who disagree from making you feel really, really unwelcome for showing a lack of decorum and respect for what should be a collegial, mutually supportive environment. Created intentionally for people who write for their own enjoyment (and then make the additional effort to share their work with others hoping that they will enjoy reading it). Others might view this as a "turd-filled sand box", filled with "second-rate smut", but to assume that the rest of us place the same value on what we do here is unwise, at best. For all of the reasons stated above.

My sincere advice: take that inspiration, find your own voice, write your own story, build your own audience the way the rest of us did. It's (usually) a great experience with unexpected rewards. It's not as hard as you think. It's the same way that we all got started.

You're welcome. Literally. Find your place, add your voice and enjoy your time here. Be a good neighbor and many of us will have your back, and guard your work, as if it was our very own.

Back