A short dissertation on 'Libertarianism'

rgraham666

Literotica Guru
Ah here comes AJ's patented rebuttal...."I vote Libertarian".
'Libertarianism' is a marketing strategy, a rebranding of an existing product that has lost its popularity.

Why do I say that it is anarchy that has been rebranded? Because the central thesis of 'Libertarianism' is the same as that of anarchy: that only the individual has power over the individual. All other forms of power are illegitimate.

Why the rebranding? Two reasons.

First, rebranding cuts the philosophy off Fram history. Anarchy does not have a good rep. 'Libertarianism' is 'new and improved'. It carries none of the flaws of anarchy.

Second, it sets the environment of the debate before the debate occurs. By using 'liberty' as the root word for the new product it makes it appear as if any dissent from or criticism of 'Libertarianism' is a dissent from or criticism of the idea of liberty itself. This is a propositional fallacy, but quite effective.

Also, as I have pointed out before most people don't understand liberty and when they do they don't like it. Why? Liberty gets in the way of power.

I hear the word misused a lot. Many so-called "Libertarians" want the iron fist of government to control everyone's personal choices, their private lives, and their reproductive freedoms. But yet, they believe the libertarian ideal should only involve corporations, buisnesses, or people with extreme wealth and power. In other words, they want the worst of both worlds- cut all regulations to the corporate world, get rid of "Big Government" for buisnesses, but yet, at the same time, sharply restrict liberty for individual citizens. Which is why I have such a cynical view of self-described libertarians. I think most people lean libertarian in terms of personal choices, but want some kind of oversight of corporations and wealthy/powerful buisnesses. But yet, self-described libertarian politicians want the exact opposite of that.

Actually that was part of my point, they LEAVE IN the puritanical tendencies along with the selfishness. Their view of government is, do as little as possible to regulate big buisness but as much as possible to regulate human behavior. The original concept of libertarianism may not have embraced this view but yet modern libertarianism does.

Actually that was part of my point, they LEAVE IN the puritanical tendencies along with the selfishness. Their view of government is, do as little as possible to regulate big buisness but as much as possible to regulate human behavior. The original concept of libertarianism may not have embraced this view but yet modern libertarianism does.
Eh, you're right. Well said.

Without government power, there would still be corporate power. The corporations would then become the government, which has somewhat happened anyway. Libertarians seem to be overreacting against centralized bureaucracy. And then there would be so much more to bitch about if we have a period of authoritarianism. But I expect power will eventually become more local. When city councils have most of the power in deciding exactly how much people are taxed and how the government will spend that money, with taxpayers within spitting distance, libertarians may merge with the crowd as just ordinary citizens. As farming becomes less machinery and more manual labor, more of the population will be agricultural again, so government in their regions may be just a sheriff and a few guys with surveying equipment to decide which roads are worth maintaining and let the rest be plowed.

Back