A minor writing question

From a readers pov, the gang is very generic and not descriptive. I would give them a more unique name if you want to give them specific characteristics that come to mind each time we see the name. If you refer to them by that name, I would capitalize it. I think a little bit of writer's leeway can be used here.
Such as? The Cool Kids? The Hipsters? The Power Rangers? I can't think of something that doesn't sound pretentious.

Also I like treacherous. If you really are wanting to indicate that this group is full of pitfalls and you need to watch your step, then I think it's appropriate. You will need to back it up. Think Heathers, if you are going with the popularity theme.
As I was writing, I couldn't exactly think of the word I wanted. I knew it started with a "T" and ended with "ous". "Treacherous" popped into my head and I put it down, but "Tenuous" was the word I was trying to think of. The problems of sharing unedited prose.

Depends how you're using it. If you're just using "cat" as a generic word, it remains "cat". But if you decide that it's also going to be your personal name for this particular feline, then it's "Cat" when so used.

That's pretty much what happened in Red Dwarf: the sole surviving descendant of the ship's cat is named Cat.
Doing some more research into this, whether it should be capitalized depends on whether it is a term of endearment or a nickname. A term of endearment should not be capitalized. As the main character uses "The Gang" to refer to a specific group of people, doesn't use any other way of referring to them and doesn't use "The Gang" for any other group of people, I think it rises to the status of nickname. Nicknames should be capitalized.

So what's the difference?

Doing some more research into this, whether it should be capitalized depends on whether it is a term of endearment or a nickname. A term of endearment should not be capitalized. As the main character uses "The Gang" to refer to a specific group of people, doesn't use any other way of referring to them and doesn't use "The Gang" for any other group of people, I think it rises to the status of nickname. Nicknames should be capitalized.

Again, I think this follows my thoughts exactly. Who else besides her calls the the group the gang. In the original post she says, "she" calls the group that. She does not specify anyone else using that term to identify them.

If it was a nickname others would also call the group by that name. If she and only she calls the group by that term, I don't see how or why it should be capitalized.

*sigh* When the perspective is hers, all it requires is for her to see it as the name of the group for it to be legitimately capitalized. The other character perspectives can handle it from their own perspective.

If it was a nickname others would also call the group by that name. If she and only she calls the group by that term, I don't see how or why it should be capitalized.

Like I said earlier, if it's a faux "nickname" that illustrates the importance of the group (or some other person or event) to the character, treating it as a proper noun is perfectly appropriate.

(This isn't without precedent if you really need it. Infinite Jest provides some good examples: one member of the Incandenza family calls the departed family patriarch "The Mad Stork," for instance. Nobody else uses the name, it's a private terminology all his own, but it speaks volumes about the character's attitude toward his father.)

Again, I think this follows my thoughts exactly. Who else besides her calls the the group the gang. In the original post she says, "she" calls the group that. She does not specify anyone else using that term to identify them.

If it was a nickname others would also call the group by that name.

A nickname that's only used by one person is still a nickname. For example, in Leo McKern's "Rumpole of the Bailey" series, Horace Rumpole habitually refers to his wife Hilda as "She Who Must Be Obeyed" in his memoirs. As best I can remember, nobody else uses that nickname or even knows of its existence (it would be, ah, not in Rumpole's interests to have her find out) but it's still capitalised.

CyranoJ

Okay, using that methodology I can see you point, but using that perspective, if she wanted to name her shoe, "The Shoe," she can but I don't think it would read well.

Such as? The Cool Kids? The Hipsters? The Power Rangers? I can't think of something that doesn't sound pretentious.

As I was writing, I couldn't exactly think of the word I wanted. I knew it started with a "T" and ended with "ous". "Treacherous" popped into my head and I put it down, but "Tenuous" was the word I was trying to think of. The problems of sharing unedited prose.

I don't know anything about the group or the feel of the story. Maybe pretentious is what you need. If your membership is tenuous, that could be a good reason.

You could always use something from a favorite book or movie. It doesn't need to be flashy or even immediately make sense to us.

Heathers-3 are named Heather
The Outsiders-they don't feel as if they belong
Tony peepants (The Wedding Date)-none of them know why, but it's always been his nickname. Not a clique, but just to illustrate a point since he never peed his pants
The Pink Ladies-their jackets are pink
The Dead Poets Society-pretentious but fitting

None of those names on their own are incredible, but the story around them gave each meaning. That's your job. Give us readers your vision, your meaning and a reason to make it our own.

I don't really have a problem with "The Gang" myself, but here's a fun fact: I've seen "Heathers" and "Mean Girls" both used as colloquialisms -- at least among people familiar with film from the relevant eras -- for snobbish adolescent cliques.

Back