A Memorable Christmas

Comshaw

VAGITARIAN
It's the 24th of December 2023. I've been walking the planet now for 73 years. In that time I've had many Christmas celebrations that were memorable: as a youngin' with my family, with my wife before kids, with my wife, kids and family after that. One of the ones that sticks in my head and I think about every Christmas happened on the 25th of December 1970.

I think at least a few of you have read that I was an artillery mechanic while in the Army and the time I served in Vietnam. My base camp was at Phu Bi, on the coast south of Hue City. But I never spent much time there. I traveled to several fire support bases where the unit (1/83rd. Field Artillery) I supported had their cannons setup. I would often get stuck on the firebase when the road became impassible because of enemy activity. Sometimes it would be for up to a week. I could have sat on my thumbs and done nothing while I was there, but that is so damned boring to do. I usually volunteered for one of the gun crews, moving powder bags and joes (projectiles) from the bunkers to the guns. Or I'd volunteer for perimeter guard, sitting in a bunker of fighting position glassing the wire to make sure Charlie wasn't trying to sneak up on us.

On Christmas eve day we got a radio transmission that one of the 175mm guns was broken down and they needed me on firebase Birmingham. I joined a convoy on its way to that base and got there in the late afternoon. The problem with the gun was the recoil mechanism. Without going into a long involved explanation, it uses a hydropneumatic system to absorb the recoil of the cannon. The pneumatic part is high-pressure nitrogen and this one had leaked it out. Consequently, the gun couldn't be used. This is nothing like a bunch of panicked senior grade officers sitting in an airconditioned office on the coast. Anyway, I got it up and ready to go.

By that time though it was dark and there was no way in hell I was going to drive back to base in the dark by myself. That was a good way to end up pushing up Daisys. I spent the night with one of the gun crews I had become familiar with. We drank some beer, played some cards, fired some ammo out into the wire when the mad minute was called.

What's a mad minute? Well from time to time at night, at irregular intervals the officer in charge would call a mad minute. When he did for 60 seconds everyone who had a weapon fired out into and just beyond the concertina wire that was our perimeter. This was designed to discourage sappers and those trying to sneak in on us.

The next morning there was no convey going back to the coast so I knew I'd be there over Christmas. That wasn't a bad thing. I had a lot of friends on Birmingham and didn't mind spending the time with them. I busied myself that day helping to sort through and organize the powder bunker. We had a couple of bags of powder that were torn and had spilled so we took them to the burn pit and had a powder burn. It wasn't hazardous. The powder for an 8" howitzer has grains that look like Rotelli pasta but are about 3/8" across and 3/4" long. When lit in open air it doesn't go "woosh!" it burns rather slowly. The improtant thing was to stay upwind.

That evening about 11:00 PM we were in the bunker playing cards and thought we heard a Christmas carol outside. When we went out there was a Huey flying circles around the hilltop and had a huge speaker hanging off the side playing Christmas carols. They circled us for at least 20 minutes before they flew off. The officer in charge never called a mad minute that night and the next morning we heard that not one single shot had been fired by anyone through the night.

That night, the carols and the report the next morning comes to mind every Christmas for me. Sometimes it isn't things you get for Christmas, but the events that make it special.

That's my story. Anyone else?

Comshaw

As a student in a small medieval town, the first Christmas I didn't spend at my parents' place. Instead I stayed in my student dorm, on the fourth floor, with a view of the old town centre, canals and a park.

I woke up on Christmas morning and opened the curtains to see everything covered in the year's first snow, with a fine fog over it all. It was magical.

Some years ago. I had children of the ages when they are hugely into Christmas - they may technically know Father Christmas is just your parents, but tbh that seems even more magical than a geezer with flying reindeer... Their school and my work went to 20 Dec so we hadn't prepared for Xmas yet.

21 Dec. Phone call from MIL. FIL has been poorly for a few days and now taken to hospital by ambulance. Partner rushes down there (few hours drive), siblings are useless/too far away. I know enough about medicine to know that faecal vomiting in someone over 80 is a very bad sign, but there's no point in mentioning that.

22 Dec. FIL is still alive, but they're going to have to do an op that at his age and frailty level, is going to be 'kill or hopefully get a bit better' rather than 'kill or cure'. It'll be the next morning if he's strong enough. Spend most of the day on phone to in-laws, trying to look after the kids and balance giving them a heads-up with not scaring them.

23 Dec. FIL is supposed to have his op, surgeons debate, eventually at 2pm decide to give it a go. I'm preparing for the worst, having film marathons with the kids. FIL had been my dad for 25 years.

6pm - he's supposed to be out of surgery. No news.

8pm - no news, says partner.

10pm - no news. Can't contact anyone. Attempt to get kids to sleep, but I'm assuming the worst.

Midnight - I've assumed the worst.

Christmas Eve, 1am - Partner texts to say there's no mobile reception in most of the hospital, but FIL has survived the op (delayed when emergencies came in), was in recovery a while longer than planned, but "he's back on the ward and telling bad jokes". Partner then phoned me and we were a bit hysterical in relief - the docs said FIL would make a full recovery in a week or two.

Xmas Eve, 6am - tell anxious kids the good news, and organise Christmas - buy tree, food, decorate, prepare to cook for 10 people, etc, with no car. Cried on at least three supermarket staff, and defused a fair few fights - it's the kind of area where people steal the last turkey/stollen from other people's trolleys. Got a few token presents, thankfully the kids' main ones had been delivered early.

Partner got home round midnight. Christmas happened after all. Not up to usual standards, but even smallest kid didn't complain - they'd all discovered what's really important for Christmas.

FIL is still doing well in his 90s, touch wood.

Yes, I used this as part of the plot for my Winter Holidays story this year, but the story is fiction - just with some truths in it. A Tale of Two Christmases

When I was a junior Captain stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB, it was a tradition for the junior Captains to deliver Hot Cocoa and cookies to the gate guards at the base and AFLC HQ. I got to do it one Christmas Eve at Midnight and I really enjoyed seeing the looks on the faces of the guards when I pulled up to deliver the goods.

Back