a darwinism thread... post your stories about people who did stupid things and lived (or died)

butters

High on a Hill

“It’s hot. It’s very hot.”

Yet another jaw dropping act of audacious stupidity witnessed at Yellowstone National Park where a pair of visitor left the boardwalk on the Fountain Paint Pot Nature Trail to get up close and personal with Silex Spring hydrothermal area.

Yellowstone Park says: If you have any information that could lead to identifying these idiots you can call Yellowstone’s anonymous tip line @ 307-344-2132
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...&cvid=4356e14ede2f4705bd7b79bcb585bcb5&ei=106

In 2008 46-year-old David Monk was on holiday in Sauze D’Oulx, Italy, with a group of friends.

After having a few beers one evening, the lads decided to steal a protective mat that covered the metal barriers at the bottom of the slope and use it as a sledge.

They hiked up the hill, hurled themselves down it, and promptly slammed straight into the very same barrier they’d stolen the protective matting from.
David died on the spot, earning himself a Darwin award in the process.

“He was a brilliant guy,” David’s friend Alan MacGregor told the Daily Mail. We’re not sure “brilliant” is the word we would’ve chosen…
https://mpora.com/multi-sport/there...ut-these-have-got-to-be-some-of-the-silliest/

from that same link

driver of van discovers brakes failed as he drove a bunch of mates:

In a truly heroic manoeuvre, Marco leapt from the moving vehicle before it careered off a cliff edge – without telling anyone else about the brake problem first.

Thankfully one of the other passengers stepped in to save the day, managing to bring the van to a halt.
They then walked back up the hill to find that Marco had fatally miscalculated his cowardly leap to safety and hit his head on the pavement, killing himself. No-one else was injured.
:unsure:

funny_safety_fails_16.jpg

My favorite Darwin Award story was about a guy that set about to kill himself. He found a tree on top of a cliff over the ocean. Tied a noose around a tree branch, pulled out his gun, set himself on fire with gasoline, and jumped.

When he pulled the trigger, he shot out the rope. He fell into the water, which put out the flames. They fished him out, and he died later from hypothermia. I guess he succeeded in the end.

Well I got married...so...that's my story
I was talking to the older guy that lives across the hall from me. We're both divorced. He asked me how long I'd been married. I said 10 years. He then said that he had been married for 20. I said, "Oh, I'm so sorry."

Not really on topic, but that reminded me of something an older friend once said.

“I’ve been married 30 years, but I swear it feels like 15 minutes

With a jellyfish in my shorts”

I worked in a level-one trauma center for a while. Can't tell you how many people came in with idiopathic gunshot injuries. One guy pulled it out at a party, and when someone told him to put it away he said "Na bro, it's not loaded," and then put it to his head and pulled the trigger, which was rather unfortunate as to nobody's surprise it was, in fact, loaded.

Another guy shot himself in the face trying to spin his revolver around like a cowboy. Just...don't do that. No.

Probably my favorite stupid way to hurt yourself was the guy who stood directly under a tree limb while he chainsawed it off the tree. Taking a tree limb to the face while you're using a chainsaw on a ladder is not a good situation to find yourself in.

I worked in a level-one trauma center for a while. Can't tell you how many people came in with idiopathic gunshot injuries. One guy pulled it out at a party, and when someone told him to put it away he said "Na bro, it's not loaded," and then put it to his head and pulled the trigger, which was rather unfortunate as to nobody's surprise it was, in fact, loaded.

Another guy shot himself in the face trying to spin his revolver around like a cowboy. Just...don't do that. No.

Probably my favorite stupid way to hurt yourself was the guy who stood directly under a tree limb while he chainsawed it off the tree. Taking a tree limb to the face while you're using a chainsaw on a ladder is not a good situation to find yourself in.
just looking at your location... florida. comes with the territory, i guess

This one’s been floating around since the mid ‘90’s and sadly I have to say, the fact check sites have all thrown the Bullshit flag on it. I’m going to repost as whoever sent this one out there deserves an award for creativity and/or longevity of the tale!

The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket. The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

All those idiots taking selfies on the edge of cliffs that died. I remember one happening fairly recently.

This one’s been floating around since the mid ‘90’s and sadly I have to say, the fact check sites have all thrown the Bullshit flag on it. I’m going to repost as whoever sent this one out there deserves an award for creativity and/or longevity of the tale!
Somehow, I don't think the vehicle remained airborne for 1.3 miles after he tried to apply the brakes. There might be some inaccurate reporting there or they got the sentences mixed up.

Check out the first episode of Myth Busters. They did that show on this legend and busted it big time.

Here's one:
Years ago my little brother was helping a friend boil out some carburetors. He had them in a metal garbage can 1/4 full of 421 paint thinner with a military issue gasfired emersion heater to heat the thinner to a boil. Those heaters work by dripping gas down into the heater and occasionally they tend to go out. This contraption was set up between two old cars. My brother noticed the heater had gone out so he walked up between the cars, fiddled with the drip valve, lit a match and just as he dropped it into the heater the thought of the flash point of thinner hit him. He turned to run but only made it a step or two before the explosion caught him. He survived but had on a t-shirt so his arms from triceps to wrists were burned as well as the back of his neck. The back of his hair was the funniest thing. it was curly and white from the flash burn. He ended up shaving his head it was so bad.

He did other stuff almost as stupid but that was a winner.

Comshaw

i once ran out into the road and crouched down in front of an oncoming double-decker bus

to be fair, i was 5 and trying to save a cat i saw in the road and it might have got run over. clearly i didn't think it all through but the bus managed to stop inches away from me. and the cat was fine, too.

Check out the first episode of Myth Busters. They did that show on this legend and busted it big time.

Here's one:
Years ago my little brother was helping a friend boil out some carburetors. He had them in a metal garbage can 1/4 full of 421 paint thinner with a military issue gasfired emersion heater to heat the thinner to a boil. Those heaters work by dripping gas down into the heater and occasionally they tend to go out. This contraption was set up between two old cars. My brother noticed the heater had gone out so he walked up between the cars, fiddled with the drip valve, lit a match and just as he dropped it into the heater the thought of the flash point of thinner hit him. He turned to run but only made it a step or two before the explosion caught him. He survived but had on a t-shirt so his arms from triceps to wrists were burned as well as the back of his neck. The back of his hair was the funniest thing. it was curly and white from the flash burn. He ended up shaving his head it was so bad.

He did other stuff almost as stupid but that was a winner.

Comshaw
I forgot the MythBusters busted this! Great show BTW. I still stand by the creativity of it though! I guess that’s what makes it great. I wonder if somebody tried something and the legend grew.

From the movie High Noon…when in doubt of telling the legend or the truth…tell the legend (or some semblance of that sentiment!😂)

I forgot the MythBusters busted this! Great show BTW. I still stand by the creativity of it though! I guess that’s what makes it great. I wonder if somebody tried something and the legend grew.

From the movie High Noon…when in doubt of telling the legend or the truth…tell the legend (or some semblance of that sentiment!😂)
Someone probably has tried it, thus the legend. But I've seen a C-130 take off with JATO bottles attached and I don't think I'd want to try it. As the old saying goes, "I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid!"

Comshaw

Back