2009 Survivor Literotica: Planning & Plotting

How about this: We keep the novels and novellas word count requirement as is and allow chapters for this category only... as long as the entire series is at least 3 chapters long. This would meet the cap and ensure that the completed work fits into the definition of a novella.

I think that would be a good idea (course that may be just me).
1.) With regard to the immunities. With the new rule, the first immunity in the story category will be worth 3 points and sucessive story submissions or immunities in that category will be worth 1 point. What about immunities in the Novel/Novella category? Will the first immunity there be worth the full 6 points and each sucessive one worth 2 points?

2.) Can immunities be used in the Special Contest Category?

3.) With the new cap system for scoring, do you realize that before any contestant can score the 5 point bonus for 10 stories or poems in a category they will need to have no less than nine stories in every other category including Novel/Novella, Illustrated, Text with Audio, etc.? Either that or they will need to get a lot of immunities... No one in the history of the game has accomplished this!

thanks,

MPIII

Ooh, good questions. Is there a plan to re-vamp the bonus point system a bit as well? It seems like that would be a good idea, as some bonus points will become obsolete with the new rules. Will the bonus points for filling a certain amount of categories stay the same?

I'd also like to keep the poem categories a part of survivor. I think the new rules might actually be beneficial to poem quality instead of detrimental.

The way I see it, the Special Contests' category is a sort of bonus round, replacing the now (if approved) obsolete 10-submission bonuses. Immunities would not be applicable there.

I agree that the definition of Novels & Novellas may include Novelettes, thus making the 7500-word limit acceptable again. I hadn't considered the fact that Novels & Novellas get double the points, though. I'm going to propose that they return to being scored as much as all the other categories, for sake of simplicity. Considering that there are two audio and two illustrated categories - which are chronicle immunity-magnets, there simply won't be enough immunities throughout the year to cover all bases. I think people will realize they're better off writing in Novels & Novellas anyway, even without the extra incentive. What do you say?

Why does it seem like so many Survivor contestants are against including the poetry categories? I started at Literotica by submitting poetry. I've seen some entertaining and quality poetry from some contestants. Maybe it's due to the misconception that someone can just whip out a poem in a matter of seconds. It generally takes me longer to write a poem than to write a short story. I would continue to write and submit poetry whether it was included in the contest or not, but I would like to see it continue.

I agree that the 5 bonus points for 10 submissions in a category should be removed. It might possibly help curb the "write all stories as short as possible" syndrome that affects some participants.

Why does it seem like so many Survivor contestants are against including the poetry categories? I started at Literotica by submitting poetry. I've seen some entertaining and quality poetry from some contestants. Maybe it's due to the misconception that someone can just whip out a poem in a matter of seconds. It generally takes me longer to write a poem than to write a short story. I would continue to write and submit poetry whether it was included in the contest or not, but I would like to see it continue.

I enjoy the poetry category, even though I'm not a poet, it's fun trying to write one. And yes, it takes me nearly as much time to write a poem as it does a story.

For the whole day that I'm writing my poem, I'm walking around the house rhyming things or seeing things that I normally would have overlooked. Stories are a broad brush stroke compared to the microscopic viewpoint that you must have when writing a poem.

I take my hat off to poets because I can't do what they do.

I agree that the 5 bonus points for 10 submissions in a category should be removed. It might possibly help curb the "write all stories as short as possible" syndrome that affects some participants.

You finally admit that there are contestants that actually do this (lol)?

On the subject of immunities, I wish it would stay the same as this year, once you have an immunity in a category you don't have to submit anything else to that category. I used my immunities in categories that I really couldn't do, like Audio (because I don't have any way to record or upload audio); having an immunity in a category like that but then still having to have either two more immunities or submissions would mean not being able to participate in the contest. (Yeah, it isn't all about me either, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who wasn't able to submit in certain categories for reasons other than just not wanting to write in that category.)

On the subject of immunities, I wish it would stay the same as this year, once you have an immunity in a category you don't have to submit anything else to that category. I used my immunities in categories that I really couldn't do, like Audio (because I don't have any way to record or upload audio); having an immunity in a category like that but then still having to have either two more immunities or submissions would mean not being able to participate in the contest. (Yeah, it isn't all about me either, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who wasn't able to submit in certain categories for reasons other than just not wanting to write in that category.)
I don't think this change would be that harmful, though. If you don't have the means to record audio, you can ask at the Author's Hangout if someone could do it for you - I'm sure it won't be difficult to find people willing to help.

Even if you don't want to ask someone else to do the recording for you, all you need is a single immunity for it to be considered that you submitted something to the category, and therefore you would have it covered for the 10-, 20-, 30-, and all-category bonuses. You would therefore need to write 99 other submissions in various categories before it becomes an issue, and probabilities say you'll get 7 immunities throughout the year.

Oh I love the good poetry and the poets (for the most part ;) ) but really it's just a "points" thing. Poems are short, (can be) easy, and gain you lots of points, that's all. Eliminating poetry as a category for Survivor would just eliminate more of the "easy points" aspect of the game.

Doesn't mean you can't keep writing and contributing poetry to the site!

I wouldn't ever suggest they remove poetry from Lit altogether!

Oh I love the good poetry and the poets (for the most part ;) ) but really it's just a "points" thing. Poems are short, (can be) easy, and gain you lots of points, that's all. Eliminating poetry as a category for Survivor would just eliminate more of the "easy points" aspect of the game.

Doesn't mean you can't keep writing and contributing poetry to the site!

I wouldn't ever suggest they remove poetry from Lit altogether!
The point of survivor is to get authors to try writing things they ordinarily wouldn't, and survivor did that for me with poetry. I didn't know a lot about poetry and didn't think I'd be any good at writing any, but I decided to try my hand at it because of Survivor, and was surprised to see that some of them were actually well-liked. It was a really cool experience. That's why I'd hate to see poetry be excluded from the contest.

Also, the points aren't quite as easy anymore now that you'd have to keep the number of stories and poems in the different categories more or less equal. You can't just get 17 easy points for each poetry category anymore. You have more difficult categories like N&N, why not leave in the poetry as a somewhat easier part of Survivor?

The point of survivor is to get authors to try writing things they ordinarily wouldn't, and survivor did that for me with poetry. I didn't know a lot about poetry and didn't think I'd be any good at writing any, but I decided to try my hand at it because of Survivor, and was surprised to see that some of them were actually well-liked. It was a really cool experience. That's why I'd hate to see poetry be excluded from the contest.

Also, the points aren't quite as easy anymore now that you'd have to keep the number of stories and poems in the different categories more or less equal. You can't just get 17 easy points for each poetry category anymore. You have more difficult categories like N&N, why not leave in the poetry as a somewhat easier part of Survivor?

The point of Survivor is to win the game. ;) Secondarily, though, I agree.

I hadn't considered the category spread and how it would apply to the poetry categories, tho... good point. No need to eliminate them as "easy points" if you have to have x amount of stories in other cats filled first before you get points for further poems...

I never fucking said that nobody did it.

Do you just hate me, CrimsonMaiden, or are you always this angry?

If you are always this angry, maybe you should seek professional help. There are drugs out there to help you.

If you just hate me...why?

Maybe you hate me and you are angry.

I think you have some issues that you should address for your own good.

Were you abused as a child? Are you unable to lose weight? Do you hate me because I am a man? Is it all of the above?

You really shouldn't take your anger out on strangers, especially those who don't even exist. This is cyber space, after all. This isn't the real world. Surely, you wouldn't behave as you did had you met me in person.

I forgive your outburst. It's just your cry for help.

Take care. I sincerely hope you get the help you so desperately need. This isn't the first time you've acted like an asshole.

Do you just hate me, CrimsonMaiden, or are you always this angry?

If you are always this angry, maybe you should seek professional help. There are drugs out there to help you.

If you just hate me...why?

Maybe you hate me and you are angry.

I think you have some issues that you should address for your own good.

Were you abused as a child? Are you unable to lose weight? Do you hate me because I am a man? Is it all of the above?

You really shouldn't take your anger out on strangers, especially those who don't even exist. This is cyber space, after all. This isn't the real world. Surely, you wouldn't behave as you did had you met me in person.

I forgive your outburst. It's just your cry for help.

Take care. I sincerely hope you get the help you so desperately need. This isn't the first time you've acted like an asshole.

oh how i laughed. cyber space certainly seems to affect you, and i'd argue you're the one with issues and anger. i just get that from your sig. keep up the good work with the chain yanking. it's really amusing.

oh how i laughed. cyber space certainly seems to affect you, and i'd argue you're the one with issues and anger. i just get that from your sig. keep up the good work with the chain yanking. it's really amusing.

Actually, no anger my friend. I'm doing what I love to do...writing stories.

The signature is a recent thing. Have you noticed the others who have been parading around with my out of context quotes in their signatures for months? Possibly you haven't because surely, you would have commented on their signatures and pointed out their possible anger issues as you have misinterpreted mine.

Actually, I'm sitting here drinking my Starbucks freshly ground and freshly brewed French roast coffee while sitting in my Hermin Miller Aeron Posturefit chair. I couldn't be more comfortable and I couldn't be more complacent.

Every time I see your photo you look so damn happy (lol). It must be because you are not American and don't have an asshole for a President (lol).

Thanks for the comment and take care. Give my regards to the Queen, that is, if you are in England (lol).

Actually, no anger my friend. I'm doing what I love to do...writing stories.

The signature is a recent thing. Have you noticed the others who have been parading around with my out of context quotes in their signatures for months? Possibly you haven't because surely, you would have commented on their signatures and pointed out their possible anger issues as you have misinterpreted mine.

Actually, I'm sitting here drinking my Starbucks freshly ground and freshly brewed French roast coffee while sitting in my Hermin Miller Aeron Posturefit chair. I couldn't be more comfortable and I couldn't be more complacent.

Every time I see your photo you look so damn happy (lol). It must be because you are not American and don't have an asshole for a President (lol).

Thanks for the comment and take care. Give my regards to the Queen, that is, if you are in England (lol).

i'm happy because nobody has discovered the bodies.

...yet.

yeah, i'll be sure to pass on your regards to her maj next time i'm at the palace.

i'm happy because nobody has discovered the bodies.

...yet.

yeah, i'll be sure to pass on your regards to her maj next time i'm at the palace.

Hey, you don't know Elton, do you? I'm not gay, but I love that guy.

See, that's the difference between you and me. You kill the people you dislike and then have to deal with the disposal of their bodies. I just piss them off and they take their bodies and leave (lol).

"Bye, see ya. Wouldn't want to be ya'. Take care my foot or the door doesn't hit you in the ass as you leave. ...and take that bad body with you. I don't want you smellin' up my house."

Hey, you don't know Elton, do you? I'm not gay, but I love that guy.

See, that's the difference between you and me. You kill the people you dislike and then have to deal with the disposal of their bodies. I just piss them off and they take their bodies and leave (lol).

"Bye, see ya. Wouldn't want to be ya'. Take care my foot or the door doesn't hit you in the ass as you leave. ...and take that bad body with you. I don't want you smellin' up my house."

ben elton?

Back