Anyone else a little weirded out by the Clinton/Bush bromance?

conspiracy-keanu-meme-generator-what-if-republicans-and-democrats-are-the-same-party-and-they-ve-had-total-control-of-the-government-this-entire-time-236024.jpg

Of course not. Everyone forgets when they look trough the prism of D and R - the political elites inhabit the same world, regardless of political affiliation. They like or dislike based on personality, not politics. They grew up in the same social circles, they went to the same universities. They stood on the same kegs.

Here are SCOTUS justices Scalia and Ginsberg on vacation together. EDIT: they became besties long before scalia was appointed to the court. Their opinions don't line up much on social issues.

tumblr_m6sy85YoZK1qanyfho1_400.png

Last edited:
I suppose it makes sense, considering the ex-President club is a notoriously small one. But for fuck's sake, the ideologues on the GB can't even get along.

http://time.com/3584031/george-bush-bill-clinton/

Not really. Willy is a genuinely warm and friendly guy. As long as you didn't discuss politics you could sit down and have a beer with him anytime, and he'd drink it out of the bottle, not a glass. :)

Ishmael

Clinton is not an ideologue. He says what he needs to in any situation to advance his interests. Bush is pretty far left on tender-hearted social issues.

Not surprising.

Mind. Blown.
Of course not. Everyone forgets when they look trough the prism of D and R - the political elites inhabit the same world, regardless of political affiliation. They like or dislike based on personality, not politics. They grew up in the same social circles, they went to the same universities. They stood on the same kegs.

Here are SCOTUS justices Scalia and Ginsberg on vacation together. They became besties soon after she joined the court. Their opinions don't line up much on social issues.

tumblr_m6sy85YoZK1qanyfho1_400.png
You win. That's much creepier.
Not really. Willy is a genuinely warm and friendly guy. As long as you didn't discuss politics you could sit down and have a beer with him anytime, and he'd drink it out of the bottle, not a glass. :)

Ishmael
Hey, there are some damn good beers that should be poured into a glass. But your point is well-taken. I'd actually hang with either of them.
Clinton is not an ideologue. He says what he needs to in any situation to advance his interests. Bush is pretty far left on tender-hearted social issues.

Not surprising.
Clinton was/is one of the craftiest politicians we've ever seen. I'm not sure Bush aligns with liberals on any social issues . . .

Bush the elder and Clinton were pretty palsy-walsy too, after both had left office. They were political rivals, not personal enemies.

Clinton was/is one of the craftiest politicians we've ever seen. I'm not sure Bush aligns with liberals on any social issues . . .

There's more to it than that. Yes, he's a clever fellow but more importantly he wants to be liked. He craves it and he works at it. It's one of the reasons he got along with congress, both sides of the aisle, on more issues than few notable confrontations.

I first met him in '63 and then again in '66. And he really hasn't changed all that much as a person. Older, wiser, more experienced, but the core Bill Clinton doesn't seem to be much different than that 17 year old I met in '63.

Ishmael

I would have sworn that in 1963 he was still in a soviet mock-up village learning to talk like an American, waiting to be inserted into his legend...

There is this book. Cannot remember title or author but the code name of the agent was ironweed. It read like Clinton's life story. And it was written before he was president.

I have looked for the book and cannot find it.

It is possible that robert redford in three days of the condor read the book and had all copies shredded.

One might forget Clinton is the guy mostly responsible for turning the Democratic Party into Republican Lite and George HW Bush is a Rockefeller Republican that Clinton always liked and only ran against because he was one of the few "Democratic" contenders for the presidency who realized how weak Bush was that cycle.

Back