Writing Challenge ~ June 2014 ~ Comments and Reviews

Britwitch

Classically curvy
WRITING CHALLENGE REVIEW THREAD ~ JUNE 2014​

Just a few little rules for this thread:-

• This thread is for comments and reviews only. Submissions go here!

• Please keep your comments focused on the pieces posted for the challenge running from 2nd – 29th June 2014 only, this is not really intended to be a thread for conversation/flirting/mayhem and so on (Sorry to be a bore!). Writers should be able to find reviews/comments for their pieces without having to trawl through pages of banter (no matter how amusing/sexy it might be!) :)

Readers/Reviewers:- Please keep your comments and reviews polite and, wherever possible, positive. If you have constructive criticism or advice for writers please do give it but be polite about it! You don’t have to like everything you read but if you really don’t have anything nice to say about something then I would suggest you refrain from posting. And if all you want to say is you liked a piece and no more…that’s great too! We all know how writers like to be appreciated! ;)

Authors:- Please take constructive criticism as it is intended, as an attempt at improving possible flaws/problems/areas of confusion in your piece. They are not (hopefully!) personal attacks on you or your work.

• This is supposed to be a fun way to get to know new writers and potential partners, to exercise our writing brains, it’s not a competition, please keep that in mind!

• One more thing…suggestions for future prompts are very welcome and should be PM’d to me – Britwitch – as a link ideally. :)

Previous challenges and reviews can be found here.

Happy reading!

Tess:

I always think through my response to you, as if I'm writing a story myself - because I know you're going to read it. Then I usually chicken out, anyway - but not today!

Your subtlety kills me. It makes me ache. You never say: "Look at my pretty paper house. You can see into all the rooms from where you're standing. And here is every doll who ever lived in this house, and their names and relations to one another and dates of birth..."

You could! It would be the easiest way to tell the story. You could know for sure that your intentions were understood by all, and I am sure that even telling it that way, it would be wonderful - some stories have to be written that way.

But there's WORK, in your pieces. I don't always like it, because I know I'm going to have to use my brain, today! I often have to reread your pieces - especially when the last bit like that changes everything. I often think about your pieces long after I've read them - you haunt me, you tricky devil - I was up half the night, wondering and worrying about what kinds of movies.

It's all the little things you don't say - I fucking obsess over them, and I hate you and I love you for it. And you intimidate me, and you creep me the fuck out, and I'm never sorry.

Tess:

I always think through my response to you, as if I'm writing a story myself - because I know you're going to read it. Then I usually chicken out, anyway - but not today!

Your subtlety kills me. It makes me ache. You never say: "Look at my pretty paper house. You can see into all the rooms from where you're standing. And here is every doll who ever lived in this house, and their names and relations to one another and dates of birth..."

You could! It would be the easiest way to tell the story. You could know for sure that your intentions were understood by all, and I am sure that even telling it that way, it would be wonderful - some stories have to be written that way.

But there's WORK, in your pieces. I don't always like it, because I know I'm going to have to use my brain, today! I often have to reread your pieces - especially when the last bit like that changes everything. I often think about your pieces long after I've read them - you haunt me, you tricky devil - I was up half the night, wondering and worrying about what kinds of movies.

It's all the little things you don't say - I fucking obsess over them, and I hate you and I love you for it. And you intimidate me, and you creep me the fuck out, and I'm never sorry.

Ahhh! Thank you! Still blushing so badly about this. Going to just go sit dazedly again for a bit. :rose: Hoping to read anything at all by you soon - you are WONDERFUL.

Untitled ~ Tess

Damn.
Just...you kill me, you do.

Like Alice said your writing is effortless on the surface but beneath it's swirling with almost hidden details that suck you down, deeper and deeper into whichever story you're weaving.

Awesome. As always. :rose:

Untitled ~ Tess

Damn.
Just...you kill me, you do.

Like Alice said your writing is effortless on the surface but beneath it's swirling with almost hidden details that suck you down, deeper and deeper into whichever story you're weaving.

Awesome. As always. :rose:

:eek: Thank you so much! And thank you for using your awesome creativity to fuel these challenges every month. They help kick things up for me. I always love reading your pieces, I'll try to be less shy about saying so. :heart:

I have been trying to write a piece for this challenge since the start of the month, but every single time I click into the thread, I read Tess's story instead. Every time I read it, I see something new.

Honestly, I think that was one of the best pieces of you're writing I've read. I love your writing. You need to write more so I can bask in how awesome it is.

I have been trying to write a piece for this challenge since the start of the month, but every single time I click into the thread, I read Tess's story instead. Every time I read it, I see something new.

Honestly, I think that was one of the best pieces of you're writing I've read. I love your writing. You need to write more so I can bask in how awesome it is.

is blushing ridiculously, again.

Thank you so much. I'm incredibly flattered about the feedback from such amazing writers this month, it's been gratifying! I worried that it would be creepy so I'm happy to see it was well-received. Please, please, write something for this month, PS. I love your work and am waiting a bit impatiently to read something else (but I'll wait!).

A few comments that I had meant to add but hadn't gotten a chance to yet:

Mr. Fr33k, as ever your piece was lovely to read. You say so much in such a short span in these challenges and I'm envious of your conciseness. Very honest. Thank you for sharing it.

RainingHeat, I don't really know you but I still lurked your post. :eek: It left me wanting to know what happens! Will she start being good? Will he trust her again? Those things and a certain fondness for belts had me reading to the end. Nicely done!

Everyone, post some pieces! I want more to read!

Untitled ~ fr33ks33k

Oh you and your words. There is such a wonderful rhythm to your writing. I know I've said it before but your words could so easily be set to music. They're gorgeous. Wonderful, as always!

Untitled ~ RainingHeat

I've been a fan of your writing for a l-o-n-g time so it was fantastic to see a piece of yours in here. And it was brilliant. Very effective and with some extremely vivid imagery in there. Loved it!

Better Than A Broken Promise ~ prettyserpentine

That was amazing, seriously good stuff. Your writing is the kind I could read all day and never get bored. More, always more, please!

How to Grow... ~ Scuttle Buttin'

I know I might be slightly biased but to be quite honest, I don't care. :D
That was amazingly done. I won't give away the ending but I had no idea where it was going from the outset but I loved every word along the way.
You're awesome. Always.

RainingHeat, I don't really know you but I still lurked your post. :eek: It left me wanting to know what happens! Will she start being good? Will he trust her again? Those things and a certain fondness for belts had me reading to the end. Nicely done!

Untitled ~ RainingHeat

I've been a fan of your writing for a l-o-n-g time so it was fantastic to see a piece of yours in here. And it was brilliant. Very effective and with some extremely vivid imagery in there. Loved it!

Thank you both so very much.... You are making me blush... LOL... :rose:

I've been lurking about these past few months and I have to say I love the idea of this challenge thread. I haven't yet worked up the nerve to manage a post of my own, hopefully some day soon I will. However I love reading everyone's submissions, so much talent. :)

Duchess:rose:

It's occurred to me I've missed some of the posts in the Challenge thread, so I had a good peruse over them all again today!

fr33ks33k: Reading your entry made me go and scrounge the boards for other writing of yours. It's inspirational, it really taps into my creative side and speaks to me. I really like the way you write, it's given me a fair few ideas to inject into my own musings.

RainingHeat: Wow. I thought your first entry was awesome, and then I read the second and by the end of it I was left thinking 'Holy shit!' It was great. I love the whole threatening aspect of it, it just feels like there's a whole other world right there under the surface. I can't wait to see what you do next!

Britwitch: Yeah, I've told you, you just need to write more about this story. I want to find out more about the characters, about their quest. I want to know what happens to Rosanna!! She wasn't in the beginning of the story... Why not?! Keep writing!!

Scuttle: As always, the desire to spend a few hours in your imagination is only incensed by your writing. I loved this! It was like a fable or fairytale and it just inspired me. You have great ideas.

havinfun50: I read this one last night, and you know, I got the distinct feeling of summertime when I was done. It reminded me of being young, and it was a really nostalgic piece of work, which I really enjoyed. You need to write more for the challenges, I really think it brings out your best work, and that's always an awesome thing!

I can't wait to next month's challenge! When I read everybody's work it makes me want to write, it inspires me to be a better writer. This month's submissions have been some of the best I've read so far and I'm so excited for next month!

Duchess, you should definitely write up something! Same with you, Brutal. I miss writing with you too, you were the best I've written with on here. I'm loving your work in the Hostage roleplay, and the Virgin and the Girl. You are more than capable of writing in the challenges, so next month, I'm challenging you!!

Have a beautiful Saturday, everyone!

Every month I'm blown away by the writers here in the challenge. So much diversity of style, content and genre all from the same three prompts. Thank you Brit for keeping this up for so long.

A few quick comments...

thestruggle: I always enjoy reading your posts. It's been said before, but I'll say it again... It seems effortless, but there is so much more there than meets the eye on first read. Just great.

fr33ks33k: Again... Short, powerful, almost lyrical. I admire your skillful use of minimal words.

RainingHeat: Both of your entries were great. I enjoyed them both thoroughly.

prettyserpentine: First... Thank you for the kind words. It's nice to know that people are reading and enjoying what's out there. I appreciate the encouragement. Second... I've loved all you WC pieces, but this month's in particular struck a chord. I enjoyed it very much.

Brit: As always, fantastic. I'm glad you're going to continue working on this. I'm looking forward to reading more when it's done.

Scuttle Buttin': You have an exceptionally powerful ability to paint a scene. When I read your work it always creates very vivid images in my mind. I always look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Mari: You don't write much poetry here, but what I've read I've enjoyed greatly. This one was particularity powerful. I read it several times.

Essie: Glad to see you posted! I loved the concept and you did a great job of bringing it to life. Great job.

I'm really looking forward to next months challenge.

Mari: You don't write much poetry here, but what I've read I've enjoyed greatly. This one was particularity powerful. I read it several times.

Thank you hon ... I do seem to be waxing poetical in challenge threads, no idea why ... they just kinda develop like that ... I loved your piece and as you know I always adore everything you write ... and many thanks for your feedback ... you know how much I value your opinion ... :kiss:

:rose:

Better late than never, I wanted to make sure I'd commented on all the pieces we got to read. :eek:

Untitled 2 ~ RainingHeat

Two pieces from you, we're very lucky!
And this one was just as great as the first. The ending was brilliant, just brilliant. ;)

Last Camp Fire ~ havinfun50

I really enjoyed your piece, you really embodied the 'spirit' of summer. Well done!

An Impossible Choice ~ DeliciousMaiden

There was a real sense of angst and anguish in yours and all of the vivid imagery helped to draw your reader into your character's dilemma. Another lovely piece from you.

Everything I Could Never Tell You ~ Essie1

I'm not sure can say how much I loved this. It was sweet and simple and so very touching. A lovely take on the prompt and I want to read more. I want to find out about her and her 'Robert'. Seriously well done.

And to all of you, thanks again for taking part. Hoping the July challenge inspires you just as much! :rose:

Better late than never, I wanted to make sure I'd commented on all the pieces we got to read. :eek:

An Impossible Choice ~ DeliciousMaiden

There was a real sense of angst and anguish in yours and all of the vivid imagery helped to draw your reader into your character's dilemma. Another lovely piece from you.

And to all of you, thanks again for taking part. Hoping the July challenge inspires you just as much! :rose:

Thank you Brit - I'm glad it was as effective as I'd hoped ... :rose:

Thank you hon ... I do seem to be waxing poetical in challenge threads, no idea why ... they just kinda develop like that ... I loved your piece and as you know I always adore everything you write ... and many thanks for your feedback ... you know how much I value your opinion ... :kiss:

:rose:

Thank you Honey, you know how much I value yours too. :rose:

Last Camp Fire ~ havinfun50

I really enjoyed your piece, you really embodied the 'spirit' of summer. Well done!

Thank you Brit! I'm already working on next months. Thanks again for organizing these every month.

Back