Who knows what "Morning Wood" means?

LoquiSordidaAdMe

Literotica Guru
Hi all,

Is the phrase "morning wood" common enough that a great majority of Literotica readers would understand it?

I just got a story back from an editor with this comment:

Not sure on the meaning of "morning-wood"​

And here's the context in the story:

I didn’t want a morning-wood-quickie-before-the-kids-wake-up erection. I wanted him to throb and to ache.​

I've heard the phrase "morning wood" used in reference to the erection guys occasionally wake up with for as long as I can remember - I mean going back to middle school. But if someone with the confidence to edit for Lit isn't familiar with it, maybe it's not as common I think. Maybe it's a regional (U.S. east coast) thing. Or maybe it's generational (40-something).

So while I'm working to address the editor's other comments, could folks weigh in on this?

Thanks for considering it.

Hi all,

Is the phrase "morning wood" common enough that a great majority of Literotica readers would understand it?

I didn’t want a morning-wood-quickie-before-the-kids-wake-up erection. I wanted him to throb and to ache.​

I've heard the phrase "morning wood" used in reference to the erection guys occasionally wake up with for as long as I can remember - I mean going back to middle school. But if someone with the confidence to edit for Lit isn't familiar with it, maybe it's not as common I think. Maybe it's a regional (U.S. east coast) thing. Or maybe it's generational (40-something).

So while I'm working to address the editor's other comments, could folks weigh in on this?

I totally get it. But I used to go out with a guy whose band was called the Morning Horns.:)

I would think that most adults will know what "morning wood" means. If not, I think they can figure it out in the context of your sentence.

I'm familiar with it, and I'm in the next older generation and in the US southwest, so it's neither generational nor regional. It could be an Americanism.

I would think that most adults will know what "morning wood" means. If not, I think they can figure it out in the context of your sentence.

Agreed. Was your editor from a different country? (or a convent?)

I'm pretty sure I first heard it called that back in high school and that was 20 years ago! :eek:

(I still think it's a funny and appropriate and relatively polite way to describe "it" lol)

"morning wood" should be well enough known. But it isn't hyphenated.

You need a new editor. Nobody who lacks an understanding of morning wood, hyphenated or not, has any business editing erotica.

Your editor should be doing simple fact checking. This term is easily found on the Internet.

Dollie

I'm far from a child and raised in the midwest. Many young and old men have called it 'morning wood' as far back as I remember anything to do with sex.
From experience with my husband it has something to do with waking up and having to pee. Rather than pee he'd take advantage of his morning wood.
As he aged his hard wood has turned into a Weeping Willow.

Morning wood... Sporting wood... Got wood....

Anyone who has been through puberty knows these phrases. Your editor needs to go back to children's books.

Hi all,

I'll be the exception here and say that I had never heard the term "morning wood" until I started reading stories on this site. My friends weren't into discussing their erections. But it's so common on this site.

I'm not sure that the editor needs to know what 'morning wood' means. They do need to know how to write English. So maybe they do and the term is just something they aren't familiar with. You can define it for them and then they'll know.

I'm not sure that the editor needs to know what 'morning wood' means. They do need to know how to write English. So maybe they do and the term is just something they aren't familiar with. You can define it for them and then they'll know.

Can't wait to see what happens when I bring up the term 'wet dream' LOLOLOLOL

Ah. The editor's bio page says "UK". That probably explains it.

They have the Internet for fact checking in the UK too. (And I don't agree with the comment above that an editor could just let it pass if the editor didn't understand the use of the term. Understanding the terms and why they are there is part of an editor's job.)

Hard ( no pun intended ) to belive anyone on a sex story site doesn't know what morning wood is...

Most of the time, it's an incredible inconvenience — especially when it's the "need to pee" variety. Nothing like standing there trying to talk down Mr. Happy when your bladder feels as if it's going to rupture any nanosecond.

However, if it hasn't reached that critical stage yet, where the urge is there, but not yet uncomfortable, and you have an aroused partner around to share it, I've found it to be a welcome awakening. For me, it causes desensitization in varying degrees. Sometimes, up to the point where I can keep going full force until the bladder situation hits critical with nary a worry about coming.

Then you've got to go through the whole talk it down and pee phase before you can get yours, though. As often as not, she's pretty much uncontrollably quivering, panting, and near insensible by that point, so it's a "next time" thing.

Totally worth it. ;)

Morning wood has been around for ages...I first heard the term in high school back in the '60s. So that's 40 odd years ago. Also heard sporting wood, got wood back then. Of course I lived in the big city back then, Chicago.

However, if it hasn't reached that critical stage yet, where the urge is there, but not yet uncomfortable, and you have an aroused partner around to share it, I've found it to be a welcome awakening. For me, it causes desensitization in varying degrees. Sometimes, up to the point where I can keep going full force until the bladder situation hits critical with nary a worry about coming.

As near as I can tell, women aren't usually into morning wood. They might be more likely to say "Get off my back, go pee, and leave me alone." Breakfast and coffee are more exciting.

Most of the time, it's an incredible inconvenience — especially when it's the "need to pee" variety. Nothing like standing there trying to talk down Mr. Happy when your bladder feels as if it's going to rupture any nanosecond.
Synonym: piss-on.

It's well known in Australia. Our UK members are probably still asleep* but I'm pretty sure it's a common expression there as well. For example, this UK-published story uses it as a joke in the title: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/love-sex/sex/a32024/erotic-fiction-morning-wood/

Pretty much no cultural reference is universal, but I think the great majority of readers would catch this one, especially in context.

*nudge nudge, wink wink

But it isn't hyphenated.

By itself, no. But since I'm using it as part of a complex adjective phrase to modify the word "erection", I thought the most effective punctuation was to hyphenate the entire phrase.

You need a new editor. Nobody who lacks an understanding of morning wood, hyphenated or not, has any business editing erotica.

Your editor needs to go back to children's books.

Unfortunately, good editor's are hard to come by. The Editor's Forum is kind of a ghost town. This is my third story and my third editor. And other than this one issue, a very good editor indeed. The rest of the comments have all been insightful, and more typos were caught than I expected. I would definitely use this editor again if they are available.

As he aged his hard wood has turned into a Weeping Willow.

A cruel fate that awaits us all. It sounds like you were able to enjoy it while it lasted Dollie, which is more than a lot of us can say.

Back