21 suffer burns after walking on hot coals during Tony Robbins event

Beco

I'm Not Your Guru
21 suffer burns after walking on hot coals during Tony Robbins event in California

By Associated Press, Published: July 21

SAN FRANCISCO — Fire officials said 21 people at an event hosted by motivational speaker Tony Robbins suffered burns while walking across hot coals and three of the injured were treated at hospitals.

The injuries took place during the first day Thursday of a four-day event at the San Jose Convention Center hosted by Robbins called “Unleash the Power Within.” Most of those hurt had second and third degree burns, said San Jose Fire Department Capt. Reggie Williams.

alking across hot coals on lanes measuring 10 feet long and heated to between 1,200 to 2,000 degrees provides attendees an opportunity to “understand that there is absolutely nothing you can’t overcome,” according to the motivational speaker’s website.

Robbins Research International said in a written statement that 6,000 attendees of the event walked across the coals Thursday.

Requests for additional information from The Associated Press were not immediately returned.

Organizers had an “open burn permit” and medical staff at the event, and there was also a fire inspector on the scene, Williams said.

“Once they (the medical staff) became overwhelmed, our inspector called for us,” Williams said.

Witness Jonathan Correll was not attending the event, but when he saw a large crowd gathered on a closed-off surface street near the convention center, he got off the light rail he was riding to see what was going on.

“I just heard these screams of agony,” he told The Associated Press. People were in pain. It sounded like people were being tortured.”

Correll, 25, of San Jose, said he saw three ambulances, about 10 to 15 people on the ground being treated by paramedics and some people being wheeled away on stretchers.

“It was really just chaos,” he said.

Best News Story of 2012! :D

(I hate those fucking seminars. I've been forced to go to a few.)

Walking across hot coals on lanes measuring 10 feet long and heated to between 1,200 to 2,000 degrees provides attendees an opportunity to “understand that there is absolutely nothing you can’t overcome,” according to the motivational speaker’s website.

Except stupidity.

Well, if they believe the burns don't hurt...

I'm so mean.

William Potter: Ooh! It damn well 'urts!
T.E. Lawrence: Certainly it hurts.
Officer: What's the trick then?
T.E. Lawrence: The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

-- Lawrence of Arabia

William Potter: Ooh! It damn well 'urts!
T.E. Lawrence: Certainly it hurts.
Officer: What's the trick then?
T.E. Lawrence: The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

-- Lawrence of Arabia

I get migraines and I really tried to develop some level of Vulcan mind trick to make pain disappaer.

I only managed the Lawrence version. Sure, I mind, but I still have shit to do.

I get migraines and I really tried to develop some level of Vulcan mind trick to make pain disappaer.

I only managed the Lawrence version. Sure, I mind, but I still have shit to do.

Have you tried meditation?

I know people who use it who say it helps.

Have you tried meditation?

I know people who use it who say it helps.

It definitely does. Not with the pain, but with the suffering.

One of the best things I have going for me is my brain, and that gets taken away from me during a migraine, because it's all just pain and horror and fear, in a long eternal corridor. It's literally a brainstorm and resembles a seizure. I've had an MRI scan and I've also suffered a lot of scarring caused by the migraines themselves.

I eventually learned to stop piling suffering on top of pain by wondering why it was happening, why I deserved it, what I could do to stop it...

And the most effective technique is to just breathe and let the thoughts slip away and deal with just being there with the pain.

If I can remember the technique, and that's not necessarily the case, it's something that keeps the edge of panic and the urge to shoot myself in the head at bay and I'm just in a continuum that I just have to endure.

Methods of following the breath and accepting suffering as simply being what it is are very helpful. It keeps me from causing myself further harm, either psychically or physically, during the ordeal.

A really good Zen author and a person who I read often is Charlotte Joko Beck. Her idea of "the empty rowboat" has been vital to my continued sanity.

"Suppose we are out on a lake and it’s a bit foggy–not too foggy, but a bit foggy–and we’re rowing along in our little boat having a good time. And then, all of a sudden, coming out of the fog, there’s this other rowboat and it’s heading right at us. And…crash! Well, for a second we’re really angry–what is that fool doing? I just painted my boat! And here he comes–crash!–right into it. And then suddenly we notice that the rowboat is empty. What happens to our anger? Well, the anger collapses…I’ll just have to paint my boat again, that’s all. But if that rowboat that hit ours had another person in it, how would we react? You know what would happen! Now our encounters with life, with other people, with events, are like being bumped by an empty rowboat. But we don’t experience it that way. We experience it as though there are people in that other rowboat and we’re really getting clobbered by them..."

A really good Zen author and a person who I read often is Charlotte Joko Beck. Her idea of "the empty rowboat" has been vital to my continued sanity.

"Suppose we are out on a lake and it’s a bit foggy–not too foggy, but a bit foggy–and we’re rowing along in our little boat having a good time. And then, all of a sudden, coming out of the fog, there’s this other rowboat and it’s heading right at us. And…crash! Well, for a second we’re really angry–what is that fool doing? I just painted my boat! And here he comes–crash!–right into it. And then suddenly we notice that the rowboat is empty. What happens to our anger? Well, the anger collapses…I’ll just have to paint my boat again, that’s all. But if that rowboat that hit ours had another person in it, how would we react? You know what would happen! Now our encounters with life, with other people, with events, are like being bumped by an empty rowboat. But we don’t experience it that way. We experience it as though there are people in that other rowboat and we’re really getting clobbered by them..."

I really like this! It's a damned good way to think about it.

Thanks!

Tony Robbins firewalk = dumb

burned-foot2.jpg

Lance Armstrong wristbands = smart

productimage-picture-livestrongtm-wristbands-youth-and-adult-available-585.jpg

The dumb fucks think it's mind over matter, instead of a sufficient layer of ash. Blow that ash off and it's fried sole.:D

Yepper's it science over mind. Our basic instinct is "fire bad". I remember watching a demonstration at NASA a person used a space shuttle heat shield. They used a a small block and heated it with a blow torch to make one end glowing red hot while holding on the cool end an inch away.

Let the lawsuits and OSHA regulations begin.

Back