French presidential election

KingOrfeo

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jul 27, 2008
Posts
39,182
The first round will be April 23, and almost certainly no candidate will win a majority; runoff May 7.

John Oliver on the French elections.

Conor Lynch writes:

This coming weekend, France will hold the first round of its presidential election, and after months of political drama comparable to last year’s election in the United States — including a corruption scandal that has knocked down former front-runner François Fillon to fourth place — it appears increasingly likely that this will be the first election since the Fifth Republic’s founding in 1958 when neither of the final candidates are from the center-left Socialist Party or a center-right Gaullist party.

If the latest polls are accurate, the top contenders are Marine Le Pen of the National Front, who has frequently and justifiably been compared to Donald Trump; the 39-year-old centrist and former banker Emmanuel Macron, politically akin to Hillary Clinton; and the veteran leftist Jean-Luc Mélenchon, a fiery, rumpled-looking orator who has been compared to Sen. Bernie Sanders. The Socialist Party’s surprise candidate, Benoît Hamon, was briefly designated as the Bernie Sanders of France, but his campaign and indeed his entire party seem to have collapsed, largely thanks to the disastrous presidency of his fellow Socialist François Hollande.

For months Le Pen and Macron have remained in the lead, but Mélenchon has since jumped in the polls after making a big impression in televised debates earlier this month, and now is just a few points behind the front-runners. So it is shaping up as a close contest between three competing political forces: far-right populism, neoliberalism and democratic socialism. Haven’t we seen this movie before?
 
Anybody but le Pen..pleeaassee! She will tear Europe apart and maybe trigger another worldwide recession. Trump maybe a xenophobe but she is pure racist and fascist. She has tried to suppress the more vocal racists in the party her father founded and even booted him out. But that is all a smoke screen to get votes.

Anybody but le Pen.
 
Anybody but le Pen..pleeaassee! She will tear Europe apart and maybe trigger another worldwide recession.

It's already falling apart.


Trump maybe a xenophobe but she is pure racist and fascist.

No, she's not.

YOU don't know what the fuck those words mean.

No, they don't mean things you disagree with.

Le Pen 2017!!! FRANCE!! FRANCE!!! FRANCE!!! FRANCE!!!
 
Mark Blyth predicted that Le Pen will win.
Just like he predicted that Trumo will win.

The rise of nationalism in Europe and the US is a potentially dangerous move indeed.
--- But it has nothing to do with the majority of electors being xenophobes and racists.
People are just trying to take a stand against the establishme t and corporations, and they consider democratic parties to cater for corporations and not for their citizens.

Why can't GB liberals accept this simple truth instead of going on and on about how half of America and Europe are racists?
 

There's good nationalism (looking after your own citizens instead of international corporations).
and bad nationalism (scapegoating minority groups if things go wrong economically).

I think that most of those who voted for nationalistic parties had the first one in mind.

But I can easily imagine a scenario where, if nationalistic parties prove to be just as incompetent as globalists (aka "democrats") were and the country's economy goes even further down the drain,
-- they might blame minority groups for that instead of accepting responsibility.
 
i have never once seen lyndon larouche on a ballot. only once have i ever even heard of his weirdos hassling people at the post office. i honestly have no idea why i even know who he is. he seems fairly unimportant.
 
There's good nationalism (looking after your own citizens instead of international corporations).

Instead of anyone.

and bad nationalism (scapegoating minority groups if things go wrong economically).

That's not nationalism.

That's just good old fashioned racism, and it's not a nationalist thing.

-- they might blame minority groups for that instead of accepting responsibility.

They are doing that right now in democratic socialist Venezuela.

Blaming minorities for bullshit is not a nationalist or right wing thing, it's a human thing.
 
Instead of anyone.
1.That's not nationalism.
That's just good old fashioned racism, and it's not a nationalist thing.


2.They are doing that right now in democratic socialist Venezuela.

Blaming minorities for bullshit is not a nationalist or right wing thing, it's a human thing.
1.Just a matter of semantics.
2.Interesting… I didn't know that.


But there's a second type of what libs. call "racism" too. It's actually prejudice as a survival mecha ism sortof, not racism.
-- When so many french citizens were mowed down by trucks or blown up by muslims recruited by ISIS over the last two years, it's easy to start being scared and painting all muslims with the same brush.

So yes, given the recent ISIS attacks in France,
- and the fact that according to statistics there will be about 30 millions of people from the Middle East and Africa (most of them muslims) who will try to emmigrate to Europe,
- and that Brussels, who dictate to current political parties in France and Germany encourage immigration,

I'm betting that Le Pen will win.
Because of economics and survival instinct. Not racism.
 
Last edited:
Interesting… .

I want to lead France, not Europe’: Le Pen demands removal of EU flag for TV interview
https://www.rt.com/news/385329-marine-le-pen-eu-flag/
"With France’s presidential election just days away, National Front (FN) candidate Marine Le Pen symbolically demanded the removal of an EU flag from the studio for a TV interview. Earlier she promised a referendum on France’s EU membership if she wins the vote."


Exerpt from her interview:
"To agree to take part in this program, Madame Le Pen, you asked us to remove the European flag that should have been behind you," said interviewer Gilles Bouleau by way of explanation.

"I want to be president of the French Republic, not of the European Commission, given that I believe the EU has done a lot of harm to our country, to our people, on an economic and social level, with the disappearance of borders,” replied Le Pen."
 
1.Just a matter of semantics.

In what universe?

They aren't the same thing....not even close.


2.Interesting… I didn't know that.

Any time shit hits the fan minority groups are blamed and persecuted.....sometimes justifiably, other times not, it's really dependent on what kind of shit is hitting what kind of fan and at what speed.

But it's been going on since human.
 
Last edited:
In what universe?

They aren't the same thing....not even close.




Any time shit hits the fan minority groups are blamed and persecuted.....been going on since human.

Hey, don't nitpick.
I don't want this thread to turn into the battle of BB versus Hashtag.;)

What I meant was that you could well be right and I should have phrased it differently like "if things go wrong, the parties in power (be they globalists/democrats or nationalists/republicans or whatever they're called) could easily start to blame minority groups"
 
Hey, don't nitpick.
I don't want this thread to turn into the battle of BB versus Hashtag.;)

It's clarification to ask you to explain how you equate racism with nationalism, not nitpicking. ;)


What I meant was that you could well be right and I should have phrased it differently like "if things go wrong, the parties in power (be they globalists/democrats or nationalists/republicans or whatever they're called) could easily start to blame minority groups"

Semantic's meant they were different words for essentially the same thing.

And you're right, shit going wrong is when parties blame certain groups.

Just look at all the white hate from the left.
 
Who are the minorities in question?

The agricultural class. Didn't you know? Those greedy farmers, ranchers and grocery store owners....THEY are why everyone is starving!!!

The people have a RIGHT!! to eat that food! So they democratically voted to persecute that demographic. And when they are done rat fucking those people???

Someone else is going to be blamed for the socialism fail, the gubbmint sure as fuck ain't taking that hit.

LOL, shit's hysterical.....just like the Soviets, Chinese, North Korea and every other failed commie shit hole.
 
Last edited:
There has not been a competent French President in living memory. Le Pen would be no worse than the others. She will probably win the first round and lose in the second.
 
I can remember when collapsing French governments (and Italian ones) were the norm. Or the Belgians taking 569 days to form a coalition government.

The French Presidential election is wide open and no one seems to have a clue who will be in the second round. One of them could be Le Pen.
 
Who fucking cares?



It's freaking FRANCE!

Half of the Americans who are paying attention are the ones that believe, and I mean TRULY believe, that this election, too, is a referendum on Abu Ivanka al-Amriki. If Le Pen does not win, it is a sign that the world had rejected Abu Ivanka al-Amriki....
 
Who fucking cares?

It's freaking FRANCE!

Half of the Americans who are paying attention are the ones that believe, and I mean TRULY believe, that this election, too, is a referendum on Abu Ivanka al-Amriki. If Le Pen does not win, it is a sign that the world had rejected Abu Ivanka al-Amriki....

Nice. ;)
But you guys should care, because it will indirectly affect you as well.

If a nationalistic party gets elected after Brexit and Syriza (which wasn't nationalistic, but it was anti globalist and anti- etablishment), other countries will follow the example and the European Union and the globalist movement will collapse (or maybe itdid already). And NATO will ether collapse, or will stop being so powerful.

Just like the world was interested in US elections, because what the US does i pacts the rest of us.
 
:rolleyes:



The nature of the French government has never had an effect on the lives of US Citizens...

FFS, it has the GDP of Wisconsin, if that.
 
Who fucking cares?

It's freaking FRANCE! .

About 739 million Europeans care. Le Pen wants a referendum on Europe/She doesn't want to suck Germany's ass to keep the Euro going. And no European cares tuppence (sorry 2 cents) what Americans think.:D Should be fun.
 
About 739 million Europeans care. Le Pen wants a referendum on Europe/She doesn't want to suck Germany's ass to keep the Euro going. And no European cares tuppence (sorry 2 cents) what Americans think.:D Should be fun.

Well said. :D
 
Back
Top