Opposite Roles; Equal Hearts (closed for wideeyedone)

Armphid

Crowned Sun
Joined
May 18, 2003
Posts
9,831
Metro City screamed.

She screamed in a hundred ways that her inhabitants heard all the time, so much they drowned them out. The wail of sirens. The staccato bark of gunfire. The continual din of traffic roaring over the interstates and surface streets. The ringing bells of the elevated train and the rumbling bellow as it thundered along. The actual screams of people in pain, in need, in anger.

If you could hear it, if you listened, Metro City screamed loud enough to wake the dead.

He heard it. He heard it as he went from place to place in the few weeks he'd been here; moving into his dorm on campus, scheduling classes, learning the lay of the land on campus and around it. Even in the relative safety of that area, he heard the city scream. Venturing out at night, in his work clothes as he called them, the screaming was worse. He knew it would be. And he knew he was here to answer that scream and to quiet the voice of the city, though it would never be silent.

If not to quiet those voices, perhaps to raise them up, make them happier, make them safer. But his mandate was not to help, that was his own choice and his own will. No, his patron, his totem had imbued him with power and made his task clear. Seek out those who do evil and think they cannot be touched and remind them...no one is safe from Wolf's fangs.

Prowl stalked to the edge of the waterfront warehouse and took a few deep breaths though his nose, getting the scents and sorting through them. There they were. That shipping container there. And the men around it; twice as many as last time. He smiled a toothy grin that more snarl than smile and his teeth were bright and looked a bit sharper than a normal person's. It wouldn't matter. He took a few more sniffs; the guns they carried smelled wrong. There was a smell of oil but not the usual gun oil. There was a faint whiff of chemicals and...solder. Hot metal. They were trotting out or had bought advanced weapons. From who...Armsman? Was he in town? Maybe they had a hook up with the Sidewinders...or maybe one of the high tech companies in the city did some dirty business off the books. That didn't matter either. He'd find them.

He made his over to the far side of the warehouse; a block away given the huge size of such buildings and peered down at the cop car. Prowl didn't know who they were here for. Hell, they might even be here on the mob's payroll to make sure their shipment wasn't interfered with. The lone contact he'd made in town in his month here seemed to think the department was mostly clean though; not entirely, but mostly. A window of the cruiser was open and he could hear the scanner. "Dispatch to all units in Highlands area; alarm tripped at Teller's & Lord's, robbery in progess. Suspects unknown but consider armed and dangerous. All units in area, please respond."

Teller's & Lord's? That was...right. He'd heard of them, seen a few commercials. They were a high end jewelry and precious goods store. He shook his head, too bad for them he had more important things to deal with. Maybe the cops could handle it.

He moved back to his original vantage point and leaped through the air. He flew thirty yards and landed atop a stack of containers far more lightly than he had any right to, rolling to disperse the impact and the sound it made. The container was in sight now; his eyes could make out the numbers and the markings on it, even in this little light, as clearly as if it were day. His ears and his nose weren't the only super senses he possessed. The gunmen were getting ready to open it. Now was the time. He broke into a run and sprang silently.

"This shipment don't get through, we're all screwed." The speaker was a tall, thin white man who carried a snub nosed high-tech looking carbine. "I mean, really screwed."

"Quit bitchin'." His unexpected comrade in arms was a black man dressed like a thug with a similar carbine slung over his shoulder as he got the container opening. "We got the tools now, son. That mother fucker shows his face, we melt it off."

"Yeah, bu-" There was a heavy thud as Prowl hit him square in the back and smashed him against the side of the container. The vigilante heard bones break inside the low level mobster as he groaned and fell. The transplanted hero flipped up and onto the container with inhuman agility as the other man swore and swung his weapon up, firing off a few bolts of bright yellow energy with a few soft puffs.

Clever. They were quiet, these guns. Trying not to alert the nearby cops; they weren't on the payroll then. He dove down under the man's aim and came up beneath him, his left hand shooting up in an elbow strike that dislocated and broke his foe's shoulder, the other seizing him by the neck and swinging him around and pushing him up against the door of the container. "Still got my face. It's not the gun, it's the man." He tapped the ganger's head against the container to knock him out and let him drop.

He heard the other men approaching, fanning out to flank him. He flashed that snarling grin again as a light came on overhead and bathed the area in light. Prowl was tall at 6'2" and had a lean, agile build. His body was hard, defined muscle that was powerful without any added bulk; maximizing his agility. He had a windswept tousle of tawny hair that fell down near his jawline. What skin could be seen was the lighter tones of a white man but weathered a bit as though he had spent a lot of time outdoors. He wore an enlarged domino mask that covered much of his forehead and came down over his cheeks as well, golden lenses over his eyes. His features could not be made out with the mask but his jaw was strong without being square or blocky; having a more feral cast to it. His costume consisted of knee high boots and then a one piece body suit with sleeve that ended mid-bicep to expose his strong arms until they met the pair of gloves he wore that went to mid-forearm. His costume was timberwolf grey but had details and edging in a dark yellow.

Prowl turned as he heard the closest footsteps start to slow and darted around the corner into the surprised face of one of the criminals. He went low, driving a punch to the man's right knee that tore tendons and shattered his kneecap before hopping up to slam his own knee into the man's head and send him falling backwards into unconsciousness. He had to be careful fighting them. Wolf had made him strong; strong enough that his blows could kill these men pretty easily. And Wolf wanted him to kill these men; he could feel the urge in his stomach. But that wasn't what a hero did. Hurt them, break them, if they die of their injuries before they get medical help, they knew the risks of this life. But outright murder was not the way of the hero. So he held back.

He ran ahead, crashing into the line of men who'd intended to circle about and flank him, only to find themselves flanked instead. Bodies flew through the air to land heavily, groaning. More bolts of brilliant energy flew; a few striking him. He growled at the pain and the men paled; that should have blown right through him. But Wolf was tougher than he looked and then he was upon them. The last man tried to run, which was stupid. Prey ran. Rather than run him down, which he could do as he estimated he could do about 60 in a flat out sprint, Prowl picked up one of the fallen guns and threw it, hitting him in the back and sending him sprawling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

"I feel like we should be closer." A young man in a blue MCPD uniform fidgeted in the passenger seat of the cruiser. "I mean, what if it is tonight? If we're not closer, we won't be able to see them and get these guys."

"If we're closer, then they see us," his older partner advised, the dark skinned man's face patient. "We know when the container's supposed to be in; they're going to check it and unload it, and that's when we make our move."

"You can move now." Both men jumped in their seats, hands going to their sidearms, eyes scanning the darkness. There was a tap from the room of their car. "I'm up here. You won't meet resistance. They're all down, probably need medical help, but so do the women and boys in that container. Red one with Italian markings, number 009672435, only one on it's own in row three. It's open, they needed air, and they need help now."

The two cops had gotten out of their cruiser and faced the vigilante crouched on top of it. The younger one licked his lips, "Y-you have to come in and g-give a statement. And be questioned. D-don't resist."

The older officer looked at his partner and shook his head, "Kids. Beat it, mask, we got it from here."

"I hope you do. I'd encourage your superiors and the DA to pursue charges against these men but also to start investigations up the line." Prowl's voice was a fierce and full of barely constrained savagery; partly thanks to a little voice thing in the neck of his costume. Thank God, he'd encountered the Masked Marshall and she'd taken pity on his outfit to get him in touch with a real costume designer. His own voice in the sweats and bandana mask he'd been wearing probably wouldn't have the same effect. "Tell them that they're not beyond the reach of my fangs either."

He then flipped off of the squad car, twisting in the air to land in a runner's crouch and burst into motion, running away from the two officers far faster than anyone but an Olympic sprinter should be able to.

~~~~~~~~~​

Cody Cross was one of the first to show up for class; easily fifteen minutes before the start. His tawny hair was washed and combed but already the wind had tousled it somewhat. His golden eyes were sharp and observant as he swept the classroom before taking his seat. He was a handsome kid of just nineteen, starting as a college freshman. His features were clean and strong but with a wild hint that made him look less wholesome. He was clean shaven and his lips were full. His nose was a bit large but it suited his face.

He was dressed in a pair of work boots rather than shoes and jeans. A t-shirt with the statement "Words on a Shirt" was not quite tight over his muscular chest, an unbuttoned long sleeve flannel worn open over it. It wasn't cold enough for a real jacket yet; not for him, anyway. He was painfully aware he was probably dressed in a way that would mark him as not from here or a hick or something...but this was what he had.

He unslung his backpack from his shoulder and began to pull out his books. He'd gotten in late last night but he wasn't too tired; he'd gotten a few hours of sleep. And Wolf was strong, agile,and tough, yes, but the one physical area he excelled in most was stamina. ...Not that it didn't keep a small yawn from escaping him.
 
Most people would never notice the figure on the rooftop. She was dressed in midnight blue latex, her wrist cuffs and collar matched her silver high heeled boots. Her mask was a silver cat eye.

Her dark hair whipped around her face in the breeze. She waited until there was no movement on the street. She closed her eyes and focused all of her energy on the locks and then the alarm system inside the high end jewelry store. She disabled both. She slid down the drainage pipe and walked through the front door.

She opened the cases and took the best pieces. She stowed the jewels in the black velvet bag she carried. She didn't break a thing, she expertly picked each lock with her thoughts.

She was in and out in just a few moments, but not before tossing her calling card onto the counter. It was a silver card with Tempest written in lovely midnight blue script.

****

Lauren Prescott was tossing in her bed. She was dreaming of the accident. She could hear the screaming and the twisting of metal. She could feel the rain on her face. She called out for her parents but there was no reply. She staggered to her feet. She could see the wreckage of the cessna. The plane was burning. She waited in the rain until the paramedics arrived.

They took her to the hospital and ran tests, they found nothing wrong with her. But that is when the headaches started. She awakened with a start. She sat up abruptly and got dressed. She needed to get to class.

Lauren slipped on a pair of skinny jeans and a long green sweater and a pair of high heeled ankle boots. She grabbed her schoolbag and headed to class. Her head was buzzing. She stopped at a coffee cart and got a cup. She hoped the caffiene would hold off the worst of it.

She slid into a seat at the back of the room, it was about ten minutes before class was to start. She closed her eyes and focused her mind on the lights above her. She brought down the brightness just a little bit.

She hoped that no one noticed but she needed it to be a little dimmer.
 
As the lights faintly dimmed, the students awaiting class continued what they were doing. Most were chatting with their neighbors or looking at their phones. One head, however, did look up from where he'd been perusing the textbook to look around. To Cody's enhanced senses, the change in light level was as subtle as a gunshot. What was that?

He looked up at the lights. They were all still on. It was like they had less voltage going to them. "You'd think a school like this would pay the electric bill," he murmured.

His eyes scanned the room though, the distraction seeming to warrant it. He'd always been one to keep an eye on the area around him but since Wolf had chosen him, he'd been...not quite jumpy, but definitely tense. Watchful; as he feeling that danger could strike at any time. The other students here all seemed pretty normal, some good looking, some plain, and there didn't look like there was anything out of the-

Whoa. Hold that thought.

There was a girl sitting a few rows behind him, in the back of the classroom, leaning back in her chair. She was beautiful. Her long dark hair was glorious, her face lovely, and her shape in that sweater and jeans was...oookay, cool it. His instincts had become more...pronounced since becoming Wolf's totem warrior, which made sense. But that meant he often got too easily aroused by attractive women.

Her eyes were closed. Was she in pain? She smelled...well, she smelled good. Natural too. Had she come here right from bed? And...there was another faint whiff of...ozone? That didn't make any sense. It must have been from the malfunction of the lights.

Hoping he wasn't intruding, Cody rose up and moved back to stand a foot or so out of arm's reach. He didn't want to be a creeper and invade her space. "Excuse me, miss. Are you all right? Do you need anything? If you've got a headache, I've got some ibuprofren in my bag. You can have some, if you want."
 
Lauren smiled at the very handsome young man that was offering her ibuprophen. She tried to hide the pain, she hated that it was showing on her face.

"Thanks, but I have already taken something." She took a long sip of her coffee. She offered him her hand. "I am Lauren Prescott. Thanks for checking on me." She reached up and tucked her hair behind her ear.

She smiled up at him. She used her powers to lock and unlock a door down the hallway. It helped ease the buzzing in her head. She was able to exert enough energy to make the pain ease.

This guy was cute. There was something about him that made her take notice. He was very fit, but sleek and she really liked his smile.

"The seat next to me is empty if you want to move back here." She adjusted her backpack and kicked it under her seat.
 
Damn. She looked even better when she smiled. His answering smile was a bit sheepish; the kind a going man gave when he wasn't used to pretty girls smiling at him. He took her offered hand and gave it a firm but careful shake. Her skin was soft and warm. "Cody. Cody Cross. Nice to meet you, Lauren."

Somewhere down the hall, he heard a pair if voices that stood out. He had to be careful about his focus now or he could get distracted hearing distant things as if they were close.

"Hey," it was a girl's voice, "Did you hear that?

"Hear what," asked another female voice.

"The door! The lock clicked on it's own."

"Huh. I guess someone wants some alone time."

"Ew, and no, 'cause it was locked a few minutes ago." There was the faint noise of a door opening. "See? Now it's open and nobody's there!"

"Sweet! Maybe this building is haunted!"

Cody blinked and inclined his head, "I'd be glad to join you back here. Thank you." He wasn't suave or a social butterfly but he knew an invitation not to turn down when he heard it. The tall youth gathered his things and claimed the seat beside her. "So, are you from around here? Probably pretty plain I'm not from the way I talk." His accent wasn't that strong, really, but in his own ears it sounded terribly different compared to the residents of Metro City. "I'm from Wyoming, a little town near Yellowstone."
 
The professor entered the room and tossed his sheaf of papers on the desk. He was a campus favorite, a stereotypical rumpled professor. He adjusted his glasses and smoothed his wiry, wild grey hair.

He cleared his throat and then began lecturing on US History almost non-stop. Lauren got out her pen and began taking notes in her lovely script. The smooth movement of pen against paper was soothing to Lauren, and soon her headache eased up. She was able to focus on the lecture.

When class was over, she looked over at Cody.

"I grew up here in Metro City, I can introduce you to some people. Show you around if you like. I have another class in fifteen minutes, but can I meet you for lunch?" Lauren wasn't sure why she was so drawn to Cody, but she liked him and she was relieved to meet someone that didn't know who she was, that didn't know the story of the brave little orphan that survived the plane crash with out a scratch.
 
The arrival of the professor cut any conversation short. Cody was the type who was attentive in class and it seemed Lauren was too. Her pen flowed as she took notes, his own scratching down the information presented. He actually liked history but understood how a lot of people didn't. It was always presented as just a dry list of dates and that was boring. But when you realized it was an endless story with thousands of characters moving through it and that it all created the world as it is now, it was amazing and engrossing.

He was surprised by her invitation after class. He'd expected a 'nice to meet you, see you later' not lunch and a tour. But he wasn't fool enough to say no. He didn't really know anyone here; his roommate in the dorm basically lived with his girlfriend, which made it easy for Cody to slip in and out for his 'night job' but left him without a social contact. He wanted to know people though, wanted to find friends, and though he just met her...he wanted to get to know Lauren. Maybe it was simply her killer good looks and maybe it was the kindness she was showing him. But he also felt a pull towards her. Of course, that might be why they called it attraction.

"I'd love to, Lauren. Thanks for the offer." He considered his schedule in his mind a moment, "Meet you at 12:30? Maybe at that Apollo's place I saw out on Main Street. I've never had a gyro or any Greek food before. My treat?"
 
Lauren couldn't help but smile. It was nice to not have someone propose they meet at some swanky place where she could get them past the velvet rope or pick up the tab.

"Apollo's sounds great."Lauren touched his arm and then headed down the corridor to her next class. Lauren slung her backpack on her shoulder and walked just a little quicker. She subtly adjusted things around her, just barely enough to diffuse some energy but not enough for anyone to notice.

Lauren straightened plaques and adjusted mini blinds. She unlocked windows and lowered the lights. She even changed the thermostats by one degree.

She put her focus on her literature class. She loved losing herself in books. She had done so since she was a little girl. Her literature class was one of her favorites and it went quickly.

Afterwards, Lauren headed to Apollo's. She was just outside the door, when she had a blinding pain behind her eye. She stopped in her tracks and lowered her head a little, shading her eyes for a moment.
 
That smile. Lord but that smile was dangerous; lovely and hinting at more beneath the surface. "Yeah," he grinned back, his expression a bit stunned. "I'll see you there." He wanted to say something charming or cool but his mind was blank as he watched her walk away. So much for being a hero! Couldn't even come up with a memorable line or anything to say at all.

Of course, talking to a pretty girl was harder than crime fighting, if asked him.

He sighed and gathered up his books, slinging them in his bag, and headed to his next class. It was in another building, thankfully, as this one was oddly and spontaneously noisy. There was the usual sounds of class and the hubbub of students but also a great undercurrent of noise, as if all the blinds were being moved at once and the items on the walls moved together.

Maybe the place was haunted.

His next class was mathematics; calculus. It was hardly his favorite or best subject but you needed to know calc to get physics, his teacher said. Given the forces he could now exert and be subjected to, it seemed smart to learn more about how it all worked. He focused as best he could but that could difficult enough with all the sensory information pouring into him. It also didn't help that he kept thinking about his upcoming lunch not-date.

He had to stop that. Lunch was lunch and her being kind was just that. He was, well, he was lonely here in Metro City and Wolf didn't was a social animal as humans were. But that didn't mean he should read anything into this. Since becoming a totem warrior, his instincts were stronger. Not overpowering but harder to ignore. And that included the instincts he felt regarding attractive young women.

He made good time to the gyro place after class. The smells were deeply intriguing to him. Cody stepped in and surveyed the menu; Lauren wasn't here yet. He hadn't seen or smelled her. He caught a whiff of her approaching scent and saw her by the door, head slightly bowed and her eyes shaded. Was her head still troubling her? She didn't smell sick...

He opened the door and held it open for her, "Hey there. Come on in out of the glare." What should he say? "Uh how did class go?"
 
Lauren smiled when she heard Cody's voice. She smiled at him and entered Apollo's. She focused her energy on puzzle box she kept in her bag. She undid a few of the latches with her mind, but it was enough to get the blinding pain out from behind her eye.

She looked up at the menu and then ordered a Greek salad topped with slices of steak. She also got her usual iced tea with two sweet and low. She wanted to pay for Cody's lunch, but she didn't want to offend him. She took him for a bit of an old fashioned guy.

She took her number and then slid into a corner booth. She tucked her legs underneath her. She grabbed a ponytail holder and tied her hair back as they waited. She wasn't sure why she felt so drawn to Cody but she was.

She took a few sips of her tea.

"I have lived here my whole life. My family has been here for generations. What drew you to the big city, Cody?" She asked with her sweet smile. "I can't imagine leaving the beauty of the mountains to come live in the city."
 
He again felt the full brunt of her smile in all it's irresistible might. She was a gorgeous girl in all respects but when she smiled at him, she was just...more. Transcendent was the word that came to mind, though he felt pretentious just thinking it.

He made his own order and paid for the both of them; he had said it was his treat, after all. It was an iceless coke for him as he slid into the seat across from her. Golden eyes watched, and admired, her face as she spoke, nodding. "Generations in the same city? Hard for me to imagine. My family's spread out with every generation it seems like."

Her question was both a good and a troubling one. He didn't like lying but the truth would be dangerous and sound insane. I came here because I'm a mystically empowered super hero who couldn't stay at home and chose to come here because Wolf sent me a vision of this city and I suddenly got a scholarship offer coincidentally, that's all. Yeah. She'd think he was nuts.

But he didn't want to lie. So, question was, how much of the truth could he safely tell? "Well, at risk of putting you off, I kind of...got in some trouble back home." He felt a phantom twinge in his left shoulder though there was barely even a scar there now. "Not trouble with the law but with some folks who...hard to explain if you're not from there. Folks who felt they don't need or want the law to tell them what to do and that they can do as they please. If you disagree, well, they have plenty of guns to shut you up with." The situation out West was almost completely foreign to people in other parts of the country, he'd learned that in his little time here. "It was getting to the point where near the whole town was against my family 'cause of this trouble, so...I left."

He shrugged, "I'd been applying for schools, Metro City was a long shot, but at the time I figured, why not?". He turned his cup in his hands. It burned, the way he'd had to leave. But it was going to mean more bloodshed if he hadn't. "I got an acceptance letter and a scholarship offer, both were a surprise but they gave me a way to get out and let the tension settle." His golden eyes met hers, "Besides, it might sound weird but....something felt right about coming here. Not sure why yet, but I've got that feeling."

Cody laughed a little and leaned back, "Sounds more dramatic than it is." Okay, that was a lie. It had been plenty dramatic. "But that's the summary." He looked at Lauren for a few moments, "What about you? You've lived here your whole life, you said. Do you love it that much or did you just not want to go somewhere else?"
 
Lauren traced the patterns on the table top with her finger tips.

"My great grandfather was one of the founders of Metro City. I was told from the time I was a little girl that making Metro City a better place was my responsibility. I am not sure though that my family understood just how despicable the other founding families have become, they only care about money and power."

Lauren felt voice shake just a little with emotion. She bit the inside of her lip and sipped in a deep breath.
"Anyway, I am very tied to the city." She sighed softly.

There food arrived and she picked at her salad. She didn't have much of an appetite but she knew she had to eat, her telekinesis required a lot of fuel. She looked up from her salad and her eyes met Cody.

"You should know that my family is sort of , well, I guess they are considered well known. My father donated the money for the library on campus when I was a baby. My grandfather donated the city's music hall. Prescott is a name you will see all over the city and sometimes people take my picture, write about the things I do."
 
Cody looked up from his plate, his eyes serious. He'd demolished the three gyros (extra meat) he'd purchased. It was a taste that was completely new to him. But that was to be expected; this was Metro City after all. Despite the attention he'd given his food, he'd listened to Lauren carefully.

There was something behind what she'd said about the other founding families. There was real emotion there, a real and deep anger. Almost a feeling of betrayal. He wouldn't bring it up now but he had to wonder if they hadn't done something to hurt her directly. Or was it just she felt that keenly that they'd failed their city?

"I bet that gets old. Getting your picture taken and people writing about you, I mean." Cody smiled a little, "I don't envy you that. It sounds like your family's done right by the city, or tried to." He flushed a little, "For what it's worth, I think you have too. I mean, you're the first person to go out of their way to make me feel welcome. That means a lot to me. Thank you, Lauren."

He paused, "Uh, this might sound...uh, presumptuous. But I'd really like to get to know you, and the city better. And I don't mean you as part of the founding families and all that baggage. I just mean you, Lauren Prescott, the prettiest girl I've seen who was nice enough to meet a total stranger for lunch and be friendly." His cheeks were a bit flushed, he could feel the heat. "The girl who isn't excited about her salad; that's the one I'd like to know, not the girl in whatever picture's been snapped of you lately." He shifted his shoulders a bit, "Would that be all right with you?"
 
Lauren couldn't help it. Her smile lit up her face. Her eyes met his.

"I would love that, because the girl in the tabloids and tagged on Instagram isn't very interesting and she doesn't have many friends." Lauren took a few more sips of tea.

She tapped her fingers on the table for a few seconds.

"I have to head to the gym. I am training... for a half marathon." She stumbled a little bit over her explanation. "I will bring the coffee to history class tomorrow." She laid her arm on his shoulder and then slung her book bag up on her shoulder.

She waved at him over her shoulder. She was about to head out the door, but then she remembered he didn't have her number. She pulled a card from her bag. It had her name and her phone number on it.

"Cody, text me so that I will have your number." She offered him with a smile.

She went back to the dorm and stashed her book bag and traded it for her workout bag. She changed into her workout gear and carried her bag, she had her nightwear inside of her work out bag.

Then she headed to her kick boxing lesson. One of the perks of having money was that she could afford private lessons. Her trainer was a former MMA champion. He considered Lauren a spoiled rich girl with too much money to spend, he didn't know he was training the jewel thief, Tempest.
 
Yeah, that smile was dangerous. It lit her face up and transformed her from beautiful to divine. It was a smile that could make a man fall in love.

Which was what made it so dangerous. And amazing. Cody took the card with a grin, "I'll text you right away then. Good luck with the workout! Damn impressive to be training for a marathon on top of school." He waved and watched her leave, trying not to ogle her rear and her long legs. Best not to think that way. She was looking for a friend, not that. As far as he knew.

Cody sat back in the booth with a happy, if somewhat foolish, expression on his face. He felt good, really good, for maybe the first time since coming here. He pulled his phone from a pocket and entered Lauren's before sending a quick text, "Cody here. Enjoy the workout! Glad I met you and can hardly wait for history class tomorrow."

He left the restaurant after clearing his table. Cody still had a class in the afternoon but he was free after that. Which was good. He had a lot to do in his 'night job' to introduce himself to the city and put its' crooks on notice. He had a name to run down; someone who needed to learn that he wasn't untouchable anymore.
 
Lauren did her best to focus during her kick boxing lesson. Her trainer was surprised at her progress. He knocked her to the ground and then she took him out with a leg sweep.

"Good girl." He offered with a smile. "Nice job. You will be abduction proof heiress before long." He chuckled. By the time they finished her hair was drenched with sweat. She wasn't done yet. She went to the treadmill and forced herself to run four miles.

After that, she hit the showers. She stood under the pounding water and let the tension melt from the muscles in her back and shoulders. In the dressing room, she put on Tempest's outfit. She pulled on grey joggers and a hoodie over it until she could get to her hiding place. She stashed her cover up and put on her mask and boots.

She had been planning tonight's heist for a while. Libby Davenport had been a supposed friend of her mother's. The Davenports were old money. And Libby was the head of the Metro City Junior League. And she had been embezzling from the charity for years. So, tonight, as retribution she would lose her perfectly matched black pearl necklace, an art deco era diamond and ruby necklace,, and an almost priceless antique pair of Russian Alexandrite earrings that had once belonged to a czarina.

Tempest traveled through the shadows to the Davenport estate. She used her powers to disable the security cameras, and the back gate. Then, she unlocked the back door and slipped in. The Davenports were entertaining. She could hear the guests laughing and talking even though they were across the house.

As she climbed the back stairs, she focused her abilities on the safe. She sighed with satisfaction when it clicked open.
 
The Ferrari Pininfarina Sergio was a supercar; a 562 horsepower dream wrapped in a state of the art chassis that made 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds. It was a thing of beauty with carbon fiber panels and an aluminum frame that left it nimble and light. It was built as a showpiece as much as to drive. It was designed for speed and power, having no frills, not even a full roof, coming instead with customized helmets in the doors. At a cool 3 million dollars, it was a brag to have such a spectacular and impractical vehicle.

That was why Antonio Brazzino, head of the Mafia in Metro City, had two of them. One for himself and one for his son and future boss-in-training Antonio Junior. Both were currently parked in front of stately Davenport manor. His source had informed him that the Brazzinos were trying to marry into the Davenports, Antonio Jr courting one of the family's daughters. Not from love or even attraction but because the Davenports many businesses and connections to charitable groups and funds would provide many ways to wash the mob's dirty money clean.

Which was why Prowl was there. He needed to send a message to Brazzino anyway and he might as well do so to the Davenports as well. They really didn't want the Brazzinos as in-laws. He went in over the wall, leaping it in one mighty jump and clearing it with a few feet to spare. He knew the estate had cameras and that he was no doubt on them right now. He felt a thrill at that but it was fine. He was here to be seen, this time.

He could hear shouting in the guard shack by the main gate. A call being placed to the main house but not the police, not yet. He ran across the lush and well tended grounds, racing at the speed of a wolf in full stride, covering the ground far faster than he should be able to. As he neared the house, he could make out the voices inside but not quite their words, a tense conversation on the phone and casual, joking in a sitting room. Both were about to get more interesting.

Prowl leaped up.and came down on the hood of the first Ferrari, swinging both hands down. Carbon fiber split and cracked; a loud snap that drew shouts from inside. He dug his fingers into the ruined hood and tore it off with a snarl, hurling it away. His ears twitched as he heard swearing from inside, footsteps approaching at a run. Damn...this engine was a thing of beauty. He kind of felt bad about this.

The front door was flung open just as he pulled the engine and a good piece of the drive train out of the car. There were pings and snaps as the mounting bolts sheared and broke, the shriek of damaged metal as the frame buckled and bent, the stink of oil as it poured out. He jumped again, spattering the area with oil, coolant, and transmission fluid, carrying the engine and drive train with him. Prowl landed on the other car and smashed the engine down once, twice, again, again, and again, using it as a hammer to flatten the second supercar. It was over in moments, millions of dollars of automotive perfection nothing more than scrap.

He heard the click of the hammer and dropped into a crouch before the shots began to let the bullets pass over him. Prowl pivoted and lunged; Antonio and Junior were standing on the steps, guns in their hands and rage in their eyes. Behind them, still standing in the doorway was s stunned Libby Davenport and a girl in her late teens who must have been her daughter. He was on the two men, bullets flying over him as went in low and fast. He struck out with both hands, blowing out a knee on each of the Brazzinos and then snapped up to his full height while smashing the heel of his palm under their chins; he felt and heard bone break and teeth snap, the copper smell of blood filled his nose.

The gangsters toppled and it took all his will not to finish them. Wolf was howling for it, urging him to finish his enemies. Prowl snarled and shook his head, making an effort to master himself. He hadn't come to terms with that yet; if he should kill. It's why he was taking an ethics class. He didn't have an answer so for now, he wouldn't. He shouldn't. Right?

"Junior!" The girl's cry made his gaze snap to her as she started towards her fallen beau. She drew up at his look and paled but held her ground. "Who are you? How dare you come here and do this? What do you want?"

"You've got guts," he answered. "And you're trying to stall me until the cops show up. Sirens are close." He doubted the two women could hear them yet but he could. The vigilante pulled the guns from the unconscious men's hands and ejected the clip from each, then tossed them back on the ground. "Call me Prowl. And I'm here to let them," he pointed to the gangsters, "know they're not untouchable. And to cost them what matters to them; money and face."

He turned and started to walk away slowly, "Stop dating him. Your family has friends at police headquarters, I bet. Ask them about the bust on the dicks last night; nineteen girls and boys that Junior there was trafficking in. You really want that kind of guy touching you?" Prowl paused and took a deep sniff through his nose "Smells like he's got an STD too; I'd get tested."

With that, he took off again at a run for the back gate.
 
Just as Tempest was opening the safe, she heard a commotion two stories below in the driveway. She knew she had come to far to abandon her pursuit. She rifled through the safe and found her quarry. She tossed her calling card into the safe.

She slid the jewels into her velvet bag and latched it into her belt. She could hear sirens approaching so she unlocked a window. She shimmied down a drain pipe and then dashed to the fence.

She saw another figure running for the fence.

"Damn it." She muttered. She touched her face to make sure that her mask was in place.

She knew she could probably scale the fence, but instead she used her abilities to unlock the gate and swing it open ten yards before she got to it.

She sent a mental blast of energy at the interloper just to let him know to stay clear.
 
Prowl heard feet on the grass behind him. Was someone chasing him? They were coming from a slightly different direction. Trying to intercept him then? Whoever it was wasn't shouting or calling out, their footfalls were swift but light, the sound of the breathing had a hint of a voice but nothing he could determine. They smelled like...damn, it was hard to tell. He was spattered with oil and transmission fluid and the smell of them was difficult to get past. But they smelled of...ozone and latex? Their actual scent must be under-

Before he could focus on that, the gate it front of them swung open. Not the usual slow opening of the gate systems, though he heard the click of the gate unlocking, but as if it had been grabbed by a giant and pulled open like a door. What was that? He skidded to a halt, cautiously looking around and sniffing. Was thus a trap?

Then he was hit. It was not a hard blow; more of a push that would have sent a normal man stumbling. In his case, it would not have moved him but it came from nowhere. He spun about and jumped up and back, somersaulting through the air yo land atop the gate itself in a three point crouch. His feet were spread out and balanced on the top arch of it, his left hand grabbing hold to steady him and squeezing the metal out of shape, his right arm close to his body and ready to strike. His tawny hair was wild and his gray mask hid most of his face as he bared his teeth in a snarl.

There was nothing that could have struck him. Nothing near him whatsoever. But there was the woman rapidly approaching. And damn, what a woman! She seemed to have been poured into a blue bodysuit trimmed with silver that clung to both ample curves and trim, fit musculature. She wore a mask as well, hiding much of her face but also showing fair, smooth skin and a pair of full lips that would make a man's heart race even if he hadn't seen the rest of her. Who was she?

He didn't know of any heroes operating in Metro City. Or well known villains either. "Did you just push me, Blue?" Prowl trained his focus on her as best he could. "Most people just say hi and I'm really not someone to call anyone on manners."
 
Tempest used her powers to disrupt the air around her, making her a little blurry.

"The name is Tempest, and I don't know what you did to draw the police, but I don't appreciate it. You need to stay out of my way." She tossed her dark hair and then took off at her top speed. She wasn't a sprinter, but she had a vehicle hidden away in the brush.

She unlocked the door as she approached and turned the key over in the ignition with a smile. It gave her a charge to display her powers in front of someone. She had only used them in private.

She slid into the driver's side of a sleek silver Pagani Zonda F. She had used some of her previous scores to buy the vehicle. She never let herself drive it unless she was working as Tempest.

She shifted gears and accelerated quickly. She wove through the neighborhood streets with ease, and laughed as she thought about how she had ruined Prowl's night.
 
His eyes almost crossed when she went blurry like that. He shook his head, re-focusing on her; whatever she'd done obscured the details of her. Handy. He breathed in, trying to get her scent, but it was covered under the smell of the fluids on him and the stink of ozone that seemed to wreathe her. "You're the one in my way," he answered.

What was she doing here anyway?

He leaped off the gate and paced her for several paces, then took the lead, trying to make it clear how he could catch her now if he wanted to. But the sirens were close; near the house now. No time for it.

Prowl just growled and broke off from her, loping in long strides that consumed distance. He heard an engine roar as she took off in a car. He glanced back to spy the silver car; another foreign model. He tried to commit it to memory; see if he could look it up later. Tempest took off down the street and it made him growl again. She'd attacked him, then scoffed at him; Wolf was snarling in the back of his brain, urging him to track her down and wipe the smirk off her face.

No time and no need. Let her smirk. He'd accomplished what he was here to do. He wasn't here to amuse upholstered smart asses. That car had speed but was limited to the streets; Prowl could keep up a pace of only about thirty five or so but he could go cross country. He raced off into the night, leaping fences, vaulting onto roofs and springing over streets, heading back into the city.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Cody glared at his phone in his dorm room. "Son of a bitch." The headline on all the local news sites he pulled up were variations of the same; "Costumed Thieves Steal Davenport Jewelry."

He had to fight against himself not to throw the phone against the wall. None of the articles mentioned the Brazzino connections. None of them brought up the human trafficking bust on the docks and that the people connected to it were there at the time. He may have sent a message to the Brazzinos but the overall splash of it to the other criminals in the city was jack shit.

All because of Tempest. Her showing up and stealing the damn jewels stole the show and the whole damn point! And a lot of the media were making it out like he was working with her! It made him want to howl and break something!

But the dawn and class after it wasn't far away. Part of him wanted to say screw it and skip class, go on a rampage and wreck a few drug dens or gang hangouts. But...he didn't want to lose himself in this, as important as it was. He had to keep a life as Cody or he'd go crazy. And Lauren...she'd be there and he found he wanted to see her; a lot.

So he stripped off his costume and hit the showers, standing in the hot water for a long time and trying to calm down. It didn't really work and though he went to bed, sleep never came.
 
Lauren went back to her dorm room and slithered out of her costume. She took a hot shower. Then she got the jewels out of her velvet bag. Still nude, she draped the ruby and diamond necklace around her neck.

She took a few arty selfies, hiding her face, with her bare shoulders showing. Then she put on the black pearls and did the same. She put on her mask and put on the earrings and took another shot.

She got out her laptop and accessed the dark web. She posted the pictures on a website where the jewels would go to the highest bidder. Most of the jewels on the site would be re-cut and re-set. But some of the jewels she had for sale were worth more because of their historical value.

She crawled into bed. She felt so free and alive after she used her powers. The pain and buzzing in her head was gone. She knew she would sleep well and her dreams would not be full of the storm and the crash and her fear.

She curled up in the bed and it didn't take long for her to fall asleep.

She awakened early. Lauren stretched. The lack of a headache invigorated her. She patiently brushed through her hair and braided it into a long french braid. She flipped through her closet and found her favorite dress. She hadn't worn it in ages. She pulled the simple green dress over her head and slid her feet into a pair of brown leather flats.

She strolled to class in an excellent mood. She had accomplished her task and she was free from the pain in her head, at least for a while.
 
He was lucky that he'd gotten enhanced stamina as part of his powers as Wolf's totem warrior. Cody had dozed a bit but not really slept. His alarm wasn't necessary but he let it go off anyway. Rather than use his phone, he had an old radio alarm clock his Dad had given him. He lay there in his bed as it clicked on and the voices of the DJs started speaking.

"And our own Metro City Blizzard contributed to NHL history last night," the first hist said, "by losing to the Columbus Blue Jackets, putting them one win away from matching the league record for longest win streak. The Blizzards have now lost three straight."

"Looking for that silver lining?" The co-host was a woman with a warm voice.

"Got to. But our hockey team losing isn't really news. You've got something, though, right?"

"I do, Dave. So it looks like we might have two super...people? Beings? Anyway, there have been reports for a few weeks of a super powered vigilante but he may be working with a super thief!"

"Seriously?"

"The Davenports; old, rich family if you've never heard of them. They got robbed last night; someone broke in and stole the family jewels." There was a snicker from the male DJ. "Oh, grow up. The thief left a calling card behind that, get this, has been left at a few other burglaries! Including Taylor & Lord's a few nights ago!"

"Wow. A calling card, really?"

"Yes, really. So the vigilante was there at the same time. He might have been running interference for the thief!"

"Maybe he was trying to stop the thief?"

Cody shut the radio off before hearing any more. Damn it! Any good will he might have earned was in the drink now. Well. Nothing for it, was there? He could maybe try to find Tempest and bring her in...but where would he even start? Maybe his source would have something, assuming he'd still talk to him. He could start hitting fences...if he knew who they were. Being a stranger in a strange land made it hard to track people down unless he had their scent.

He got out of bed with a groan. Time to start the day. He took a quick shower, since he'd already done a more thorough one last night. A quick shave and change of clothes later and he was walking across campus. The young man was dressed lightly for the weather as he often was; jeans and a plain t-shirt under an open flannel shirt that was grey with dark red stripes in the pattern. He felt a subdued eagerness for class and knew it had little to do with the coursework.

Lauren had said she'd get coffee, so he should get something too, right? He didn't know what she liked though. In the end, he just got a couple of bagels and some cream cheese from one of the cart vendors on campus. He got to the classroom early, as usual, and wondered if he'd beaten her there or not.
 
Lauren stopped at her favorite coffee cart. She got herself a cafe mocha and got Cody a black coffee but picked up some creamer and sugar, just in case. But he struck her as a black coffee sort of guy.

She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear that had escaped from her braid. She headed to class a little early hoping to get a chance to spend some time with Cody.

Her face lit up when she saw Cody sitting in the back of the room. She smiled and showed him the cups of coffee.

"I wasn't sure what you liked, so I got you a good medium roast and brought cream and sugar." She placed the cup in front of him.

She sat down in the seat next to him and tucked her feet underneath her.

"I have this formal event coming up.... I have to go, and I would rather not... but I was wondering if you might want to go with me..." Lauren looked at Cody nervously. She really liked him but if he escorted her to the gala he would know who she really was and maybe he wouldn't be interested anymore, or maybe he would be more interested in her money and fame than her.
 
He looked up and greeted Lauren with a smile as she came into the room. She looked different than yesterday; her carriage was more relaxed and her eyes were brighter. She looked good too. The green dress was lovely and flattered her, the dark haired girl wearing it with an air of comfort that made it suit her all the more. The long braid was cute and the way strands of hair slipped out here and there made his fingers itch to reach out and brush them back. And then maybe kiss her?

Whoa, there, boy.

Cody inclined his head as she set the coffee down, "Thank you. I usually drink it black, unless it's bad coffee, then I add stuff." He handed over one of the bagels and a napkin, "I didn't know what you liked either, so it's just plain, but I got some butter and cream cheese too."

He took a sip of the coffee and sighed. That was good. It actually was a pretty decent brew but it was more that he needed the hot drink and the caffeine after his restless night. He really needed this. Then she started talking again and Cody set his coffee down to look at her. The hesitance in her voice and the nervousness in her body posture was something that he hadn't seen in her before...not that he'd had a chance to see much in her. But she was reaching out to him and...asking him out?

Cody blinked a few times, honestly shocked at the question. They'd just met and it wasn't like he hadn't been thinking about asking her out but he thought he should wait a while. After a few beats of stunned silence, a small, sheepish smile spread over his face and he felt a faint flush on his face. "I'd love to. I mean, I've never been to a formal...anything, really. So I hope I don't disappoint you or anything, but...yeah. Yes, I'd be happy to go."
 
Back
Top