How to get some sleep!!

cookiecat

Literotica Guru
The last two weeks have been insomnia hell. What do you do when you can't get to sleep?

I visualize a quiet landscape with a gentle cascade falling into a tree-lined pond, morning doves cooing softly.

Then I have a drink and load the hash pipe.

I'm averaging 4 hours per night, myself. I hope you find a solution that works for you. Mine has been going on long enough that I'm working with my physician now.

Mindfulness exercises. It takes some practice, but once you've honed your technique, it's pretty effective.

Listen to binaural beats. It always seems like it's not working but as soon as I take the headphones off and lay down I'm out. I just use YouTube, search "binaural beats" and find one for sleep. Mr. Dude is great.

At the risk of sounding like some dodgy stalking creep ... a quick self-administered orgasm usually helps, if I'm slightly in the mood, and actually remember that it does work.
Alternatively, sorting out whatever it is that's keeping the voice in my head chattering. (Easier said than done, obviously.)

A warm shower/bath, a drink (neat, no sugar or caffeine or whatnot), then an orgasm.

Occasionally I go for days with little or no sleep, then I intentionally pull an all nighter (usually cleaning house or organizing something or writing) and that seems to reset my clock.

You might also try changing when you sleep. Sometimes if it is an unspecified anxiety that's keeping me up I will change it up and sleep during the day for a day or two.

In the same boat

I have also been having trouble sleeping lately. I have to put all of my technology away, laptop and phone, and the only thing playing is a meditation on sleep...

It seems to help a little. Its difficult getting into a good routine. This summer has been the worst, I've never slept in or gone to bed this late in my entire life!

I have to start going back to bed early again.

Hope you are sleeping sell soon.

When I'm desperate, NYQUIL.

I've done this but I get that hangover feeling the next day and it's almost worse. Like walking in cement.

Good timing, Cookie. I'm just now reading a book on sleep. Interesting stuff...something to read while you wait for the sandman.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/08/28/health/dreamland-review-exploring-the-mysteries-of-sleep.html

Thanks for the link!

I'm averaging 4 hours per night, myself. I hope you find a solution that works for you. Mine has been going on long enough that I'm working with my physician now.

Oh, that's serious stuff! Let me know what the two of you come up with, and if it works. Here's hoping.

Mindfulness exercises. It takes some practice, but once you've honed your technique, it's pretty effective.

Can you give me an example?

Gaming or knitting.

Anything active like that tends to keep me awake!! Like now, being on Lit - my brain stays buzzing. I suppose something less interactive??

Listen to binaural beats. It always seems like it's not working but as soon as I take the headphones off and lay down I'm out. I just use YouTube, search "binaural beats" and find one for sleep. Mr. Dude is great.

I've never heard of this - I'll check it out. Thanks.

I pick up a book and read. Rarely takes more than a few pages.

I'll try this. I haven't read anything in ages. Old eyes, my dizzy brain as of late keeps me from focusing on lots of words... but maybe it's worth revisiting.

That is soothing. I wonder about music on a timer?

At the risk of sounding like some dodgy stalking creep ... a quick self-administered orgasm usually helps, if I'm slightly in the mood, and actually remember that it does work.
Alternatively, sorting out whatever it is that's keeping the voice in my head chattering. (Easier said than done, obviously.)

Haha - I did get a couple of PMs with this suggestion. Lately, it hasn't been anything specific that's keeping my brain occupied. More a restless, can't sleep vibe. As to masturbating, that seems to make me more awake. :( I could keep trying, though! :rolleyes:

A warm shower/bath, a drink (neat, no sugar or caffeine or whatnot), then an orgasm.

Occasionally I go for days with little or no sleep, then I intentionally pull an all nighter (usually cleaning house or organizing something or writing) and that seems to reset my clock.

You might also try changing when you sleep. Sometimes if it is an unspecified anxiety that's keeping me up I will change it up and sleep during the day for a day or two.

I don't feel anxious about anything, although something could be simmering. I wonder if it's the change it up that could work? I keep an odd schedule and find myself falling in to a really deep sleep around 6 pm, but only for about 15 minutes. Uber power nap. I've been trying to stay awake at this time to see if it helps, but that's only been a few days. Hasn't made a difference, so far.

I have also been having trouble sleeping lately. I have to put all of my technology away, laptop and phone, and the only thing playing is a meditation on sleep...

It seems to help a little. Its difficult getting into a good routine. This summer has been the worst, I've never slept in or gone to bed this late in my entire life!

I have to start going back to bed early again.

Hope you are sleeping sell soon.

Thanks.

Re: "old eyes," Kindle Paperwhite has been a game changer for me. I can control print size and lighting to find my comfort level. I've rediscovered the joy of reading.

Hit yourself in the head with a hammer. If you do it right, you won't have to do it again tomorrow night. Or ever again.

Instead of NyQuil, you might try taking an antihistamine before bedtime, there shouldn't be any hungover issues the next day.

Hope you find your ticket to dreamland.

Can you give me an example?
https://www.pocketmindfulness.com/6-mindfulness-exercises-you-can-try-today/

See exercise number 1. This link gives about the most concise summary of how it's done that I've ever seen. The objective is simple: completely clear your mind of everything except what you have decided to concentrate on. It will most likely be very difficult at first, but if you are a "worrier" like me, mindfulness techniques are very effective - especially for stress.

By the way, I find it necessary to leave the bed and do the exercise somewhere else. I go to our family room and sit in the dark. On a good night, it takes me about 15 minutes to completely subdue the noises in my head and feel sleepy. On a bad night, it takes about 30 minutes. When I started, sometimes I couldn't do it at all, but at this point, I have been practicing for about 16 or 17 months.

I tried all the drug methods from Nyquil to prescriptions, but my job is very cerebral, and I have to be clear when I get to my desk in the mornings. All the drugs methods left me foggy in the morning.

To be honest, when "mindfulness" was originally suggested to me I almost rolled my eyes. I'm not really into all the holistic stuff. My job is science. But I strive to be open-minded, so I gave it a try, and it has been one of the best things ever. It has completely changed my life for the better.

Whatever you do, I hope you find relief!

try an audio book downloaded to your phone (the more boring a story the better)
it will take your mind of all the things whirring around in your head and you'll fall asleep in no time

Back