Ghis (closed)

Once they had explored, Kate got them all settled with their meal. She sat beside Ashelin and helped her to eat while Heather sat in Kell's lap and fed herself as Van had taught her. She was growing more and more independent as time went on, which was a relief to everyone.
 
Kell sat peacefully, almost meditatively with the little girl, seeing she rarely required his help glancing over the scene, Kell gave Kate a little smile. "They'll miss this, maybe even more than you will."
 
"They won't even notice. They'll have others that take up the task to give them little adventures and I'll be a distant memory in Edinburgh." Kate said softly, brushing her hand through Ashelin's hair.
 
"That's not true. No one can replace their sister," Kell murmured, looking down at Ashelin who happily curled into Kate's embrace.
 
"They still have Annie and they still have each other." Kate said as Ashelin leaned against her side with a smile. "But I promise that we will get into all kinds of trouble when we see one another, whether it's here in Inverness or in Edinburgh. Kell will even help us."
 
Heather tilted her head back as Kell soothed her hair, her green eyes slightly confused and wondering what he was doing. When she realized that he was raking his hand through her curls, she leaned against his side, just content with the moment.
 
Kell nuzzled Heather's cheek gently before settling once more into an almost meditative calm. After another hour chasing around and then watching the sun begin to set, Kell got them all headed home toward the keep.
 
Ashelin was sound asleep against Kate's shoulder as they entered the keep at dusk, Heather still wide awake and babbling away to Kell in her mixture of broken English and some of the Lunar that she had picked up along the way. Kate gave a laugh as her father was there to greet them, taking Heather from Kell.

"Well, we got one to sleep for you. Heather seems to be wide awake and ready for another adventure." Kate murmured as she carefully handed him Ashelin as Heather started up her excited chatter again, trying to tell her father everything that they had done.
 
"S'alright. Y'tamed the difficult one," Brogan chuckled warmly, laying his head against Ashelin's as he listened to Heather and carried the girls away. But he paused to look back at Kate. "Y'migh' not realize it, love... But today means a lot t'these two. An' it'll be a good memory for them t'hold onto."
 
"I hope so." Kate said softly as she watched him walk off with the little girls, her arm wrapping around Kell's waist as a wave of sadness washed over her.
 
Kell nuzzled gently against her neck, sensing the change in her mood. "They're going to miss you just as much as you miss them," he murmured, though it didn't seem he was talking just about the little girls.
 
"I know. I will too." Kate said softly, not wanting her family to see how sad she was about leaving Inverness.
 
"It'll be alright, love. And if we find Edinburgh isn't for us, no one who matters will mind if we choose to give the throne over to Marianne's nephew. We still have choices."
 
Kate curled into her husband's side as her promised her that, pressing her face against his neck as she tried to hide herself away from her sadness. Her entire word was changing, but Kell was as calm as ever, protecting her when she needed it the most.
 
Kell soon carried Kate away to bed to hide for the night, assuring her constantly that all would be well and they wouldn't be stuck anywhere they didn't want to be.

When the day arrived for them to leave for Edinburgh, it seemed as if all three towns knew and had set out decorations and flowers as a farewell to their princess. Julia and Kitty had seen that everything Kate needed was packed, and Brogan was looking after the guard detail with Kell.
 
Kate was very quiet as she packed away the last of her treasured possessions, looking around her room as it looked so bare. Khan was off pestering the horses and she was left with her memories. Her family would go with her for the coronation, but then soon enough they would be off and she would be left on her own with Kell. It wasn't a terribly welcome thought.

She closed the last pack with a sigh and reached for her new cloak, pulling it around her shoulders. This was it, she thought to herself. The last time she would leave the keep as a princess of Inverness. When she returned, whenever that would be, she would be the Queen of Scotland. That thought put a strange pressure squarely on the middle of her chest.
 
The door eventually opened and Ciaran peeked in. "Kate," he murmured softly. He knew how deeply she hurt about leaving. "We're ready whenever you are, sweetheart."
 
Kate gave him a nod, letting out a long sigh. "Would you do something for me?"

Kate turned towards her bookshelf and pulled down the lone book still there. She turned and handed it to her brother, giving him a small smile. "I bought this for Ashelin and Heather. Would you make sure to read it to them?"
 
Ciaran took the book gingerly, examining the cover before nodding to Kate and kissing her forehead. "I'll start on the way back when they miss you most." He slipped it into his satchel and took one of her bags for her with a deep breath. "This is it, I suppose... Da's going to make this a proper guest room for your visits most of all... It'll still be here for you when you're back this way. I think we all will be, for the most part."
 
"I'm not too worried about anyone drifting away. I'm worried that you might not recognize me when I come back." Kate said as Ciara's picked up one of her bags and she picked up most of the others. "I worry about Da slipping away from me as well."
 
"That man has loved you more than life from the moment he knew you were on the way. He'll never fill your place with anything else," Ciaran assured her. "You know the man our father is. He doesn't let go of those he loves."
 
"That's not what I mean, Ciaran. What if his health fails while I'm gone? I couldn't reach him in time to say a proper goodbye." She said softly, her fears about ever seeing her father again weighing heavily on her.
 
"Ah..." Ciaran sighed. "That... It's not a promise I can really make, love... But Da is strong. And I think that strength would last long enough for you. He wouldn't want to go without saying goodbye."
 
"I suppose I knew this was coming." She said softly, moving to hug her older brother. "But it's better knowing that you're here to take care of everything."
 
Back
Top