The Construction Thread

I've never seen those.

These were regular stud walls, except metal and screwed together.

They would use a laser and put the bottom and top metal plates down, then start screwing all the studs in.

Oh, another job site...this time small offices.

The painters are in there wearing no masks using spray guns in these tiny little cubicles.

The one guy was higher than a kite, and ended up puking in the parking lot.

WTF? lol

So, a guy doesn't put on his safety gear and takes a bad fall, losing the use of an arm, or his left nut or something, the NHS takes care of him and family for the rest of his life?

So, an employer has no real reason to implement a good safety program?

to you, Sean......(sorry about the misquote)

So, an employer has no real reason to implement a good safety program?

to you, Sean......(sorry about the misquote)

If it's the employer's fault, the employee can sue, it happens a lot. Especially in union workplaces. And the Health and Safety Executive can and will prosecute if there is cause.

His medical is free. If he is disabled, he will get disability or invalidity benefit until he can work again. Not NHS, but the govt pays, yeah.

Damn. If we didn't have to pay workmen's comp. and liabilty, we'd be rollin' in the dough!

If it's the employer's fault, the employee can sue, it happens a lot. Especially in union workplaces. And the Health and Safety Executive can and will prosecute if there is cause.

It's always the employer's fault (so it seems here), even if the employee had a lapse in judgement.

Damn. If we didn't have to pay workmen's comp. and liabilty, we'd be rollin' in the dough!

Employers have to pay public liability insurance. But it's peanuts compared to what you lot seem to have to fork out.

I have no idea what the union/nonunion breakdown is like in UK construction. I'd have thought the unions were way stronger there.

It's always the employer's fault (so it seems here), even if the employee had a lapse in judgement.

In that case, he couldn't sue. But he'd still receive all the state benefits and medical care.

In that case, he couldn't sue. But he'd still receive all the state benefits and medical care.

In our courts, it seems anyone can sue for anything.....(prolly a different thread, there)

I have no idea what the union/nonunion breakdown is like in UK construction. I'd have thought the unions were way stronger there.

Not any more. There are no closed shops. Most of the labour these days is from Eastern Europe. I've only ever worked on smallish jobs in the UK and Ireland, sub-contractors tend to be smallish outfits and unions are a rarity.

Those should all be rolled into the overhead.....

Oh, they are. It's just not real pleasant to give a customer a proposal for $30,000 when half of the cost is tied up in WC & L. It's hard to compete with companies that aren't licensed and insured.

You would just charge less for the job is all
profit would still be crap

True. But at least we can take time off when we want and aren't tied down to a 9-5 job. Fishing time is important, you know. :)

My least favorite contstruction type job: spray plastering.

I'd rather mix cement in a wheelbarrow or dig post holes than do that shit.

lol

Last edited:
Oh, they are. It's just not real pleasant to give a customer a proposal for $30,000 when half of the cost is tied up in WC & L. It's hard to compete with companies that aren't licensed and insured.

Unlicensed and uninsured are illegal. Is it time to drop a dime?

Back