"Erotica isn't reviewed as often as other genres"

redzinger

Literotica Guru
Been having this discussion on Twitter about the amount of published authors who disappear and whose accounts become dormant. A contributing factor appears to be lack of feedback in the form of reviews (perhaps leading to lack of sales), which then affects motivation.

Any thoughts?

(As a side note, if anyone knows of any good reviewers interested in erotic romance, please could you PM me their details? ;))

P.S. I did have a longer post typed out, but I managed to delete it by mistake. Gah. :(

Yeah people are hesitant to put their name on a review for an erotic work, especially the more taboo subjects and on sites like Amazon.

I had one book that had a good six month run, averaged about 175 sales a month on it, but during that time only received one review. It was a step mother story though which is why I figure there was a lack of reviews.

Perhaps because it isn't reviewed so much, the cream doesn't rise to the top?

There's so few reviews, it's difficult to tell with the more clever ones which are plants and which are genuine.

Last edited:
Been having this discussion on Twitter about the amount of published authors who disappear and whose accounts become dormant. A contributing factor appears to be lack of feedback in the form of reviews (perhaps leading to lack of sales), which then affects motivation.

Any thoughts?

(As a side note, if anyone knows of any good reviewers interested in erotic romance, please could you PM me their details? ;))

P.S. I did have a longer post typed out, but I managed to delete it by mistake. Gah. :(

You might ask Naoko Smith, who does reviews about where/who/how, etc..

Oh, and let's not forget amazon's games with indy reviews. You get good ones and they remove them because they figure its someone you know, but get someone going up and down your story list and leaving one star nasty reviews all in five minutes.....they will stay

The fact that for some reason amazon allows people to review books without having to purchase it lends to the issue of nasty troll reviews.

You might ask Naoko Smith, who does reviews about where/who/how, etc..

Thanks, I've been in touch with Naoko before, she reviewed a story on here, which was great:
http://feministerotica.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/odd-shaped-balls.html?zx=62768161a82cbb07

I haven't seen her around 'ere much recently though.

The fact that for some reason amazon allows people to review books without having to purchase it lends to the issue of nasty troll reviews.

I couldn't believe it when I found out you didn't have to buy to review on Amazon. That's just open to abuse, from all comers. I suspect some of the publishing houses take huge advantage of this, from seeing the lashings of misleading positive reviews I've seen.

I couldn't believe it when I found out you didn't have to buy to review on Amazon. That's just open to abuse, from all comers. I suspect some of the publishing houses take huge advantage of this, from seeing the lashings of misleading positive reviews I've seen.

Yeah sometimes it gets used by bored people looking to have a little fun. Sometimes it's not necessarily a bad thing, when you can point out if someone stole stories for example.

Back