Men and women live separately

Nezhul

Angry Flufferpuff
Joined
Sep 7, 2015
Posts
2,241
So I've read the story recently, named "Owned and Owner", where men and women were living on 2 separate planets and a heroine went to male planet to be a slave there because that's what she always dreamt of.

That got me thinking. What other settings and explanations of such division could be there? Only an Amazon / Male community comes to mind for me, but I really dislike medieval settings.

What do you think? Share your ideas how men and women societies could end up separated and how it would work. But provide plausible explanations of reasoning and breeding mechanics within a setting. =)
 
You could set it in a science fiction universe, of course, on an alien planet with nevertheless human-like denizens. Or, you could set it in a remote part of the earth where a tribe of people live apart from the rest of society - deep in the rain forest, or the jungles of Africa.

In either case, make it a society where men and women abhor each other, either through biology or from social conditioning. But of course they still need to mate to propagate the species. Maybe they do it against their will, according to a lottery: every year at an appointed time, a hundred men and a hundred women have their names drawn and must meet at the isolated Place of Mating, where they do the deed, and then go back to their own kind. Or (in the case of aliens) maybe it's a Pon Farr kind of thing: a fever takes them and the run into the arms of a similarly afflicted member of the opposite sex to rut like crazed weasels.

I imagine the male children stay with their mothers until a certain age, at which time they cross over to be with their male peers. By that time, their natural disgust with the women folk would make the change easy.
 
Youth hostels used to have separate male and female dormitories. Now they tend to have smaller rooms more like hotels.

In the 1960s in London there were Nurses' Homes and sex-segregrated Civil Service Homes for junior staff. Although visitors of the other sex were allowed it was only into specified public areas, never into the bedrooms...

In theory. In practice isolation wasn't so easy to enforce despite the fierce concierges.

At the same time, YMCA and YWCA had separate buildings, again with public rooms where both sexes could socialise.
 
Legendary stories of Amazon warriors who kept their men in bondage and servitude are from Ancient Greece, not the middle ages, but I guess that's just nit-picking.
You could use this theme in an updated setting; either an erotic Sci-Fi outer space adventure, or a post apocalyptic world set in the near future. An ultra-feminist lesbian city-state could ally itself with their gay male neighbors, and procreate by means of artificial insemination. Maybe the alliance could be sealed by a marriage between a butch lesbian "king" and a gay male "queen?" Gender bending sexually ambiguous hijinks, laughter and hilarity ensues...
 
There are some tribes where teenagers and older unmarried people live in a single-gender barracks; this building basically belongs to the "government" of the tribe. In slave-holding societies there were also such things as non-sexual harems where females were supposed to live, and if they were virgins they were supposed to remain virgins, until they were sold, whether to a different slaver or into an arranged marriage where they technically became free. If you modernize or futurize this concept, you could end up with a city where all females are property of the state, and the state either sells, or gives as rewards, access to these females. Or the other way around; if there was a long war going on and all men were subject to the draft (i.e. government property) then there might be shore leave facilities where the women workers were encouraged to come, improve troop morale, and hopefully get pregnant with more future workers or soldiers.
 
I'm kinda working on a story of a (mostly) women-only country/country-of-sorts that deals with men outside.
It is a place where women rule.

Presumably the women's planet could be fertilized by a few men or sperm donations. The population of the men's planet could be replenished with boys sent from the women's planet. Of course, if you're dealing with interplanetary—likely interstellar—transport between human-inhabitable planets you're likely dealing with FTL (faster-than-light) travel, and if you have technology for that, you'd likely have technology for artificially caused and controlled parthenogenesis, artificial wombs, maybe impregnating animals (note Literotica rules on bestiality—the rule is "no"), or maybe AIs in matrix-like "worlds."
:rolleyes:

Either that, or they might be double planets—and thus close enough for space travel using our level of technology, though I suppose the tidal forces would be immense; or one can indulge in fantasy-instead-of sci-fi as things like Star Trek has increasingly become.
 
Last edited:
The story I am exploring is a future military, Sparta like society. The colonized planet was a military outpost set up by earth, but it was cut off by an interplanetary war and civil war on earth for a few hundred years. As there were more men than women on the planet, and since the guys had to do all the fighting and could do nothing else but fight, the boys and men live on their own bases on other fortified planets. Baby boys are kept until they are three when they are sent to the boys schools on the safer bases, and they are trained to be fighters. Their mothers keep careful records of their heredity to be sure that there is no inbreeding. Every year, groups of 23-29 year olds are sent back to breed. They are paraded naked through the cites of the planet, during which time the mothers of young daughters get to examine the boys. Mothers, who are past child bearing years, will have the chance to take the boys on a test ride to see how well they perform before they buy a boy(s) for their daughter. The mothers of the boys put their boys on the block and sell them to the highest bidders. Rich girls get harems.
 
Back
Top