Where did you first encounter erotic literature?

When I was about 10, I found a copy of Dhalgren among a stack of my Mom's paperbacks that introduced me to a lot of new topics. I need to read that book now as an adult. Then there the many Judith Krantz and V.C. Andrews that were around the house, which also proved educational during my formative years (which I don't need to revisit as an adult). I would be remiss to omit the good old Old Testament's Song of Solomon. When I was a bit older I learned to check out Erica Jong and Anais Nin books from the library.
 
When I was about 10, I found a copy of Dhalgren among a stack of my Mom's paperbacks that introduced me to a lot of new topics. I need to read that book now as an adult. Then there the many Judith Krantz and V.C. Andrews that were around the house, which also proved educational during my formative years (which I don't need to revisit as an adult). I would be remiss to omit the good old Old Testament's Song of Solomon. When I was a bit older I learned to check out Erica Jong and Anais Nin books from the library.

How could I have forgotten about VC Andrews?? Emotional manipulation and hints of (or obvious) incest in pretty much every book--and targeted at a young female audience! I think my favorite was the Cutler series (started with Dawn). Unlike you, I may revisit it ;)
 
Back then odds are the author was 'anonymous' there was a ton of that stuff around back in the fifties and sixties.

By the Sixties, there wasn't that much Anon. Henry Miller was around then, and Fabian and Saber books and even Deep Throat.

I don't remember the first for me, but it might have been "The Amboy Dukes" or a story named "Tomboy" or maybe even "Lady Chatterley's Lover."

Or it might have been old National Geographics.
 
That's excellent.

Given that the complete edition (which I believe goes to about 12 volumes) is chock-full of that kind of stuff, I think it's a rip-off that all kids get these days, at least in the US, is Aladdin.
 
Story of O probably when I was a freshman in high school. Then I picked up a discarded paperback I don't remember the title of when riding on a bus across the Rockies from Craig, Colorado, to Denver on July 4th, 1967 (I remember that ride, because the bus got stuck in the snow in Freeze, Colorado), that had a scene in it I couldn't forget, although I left the book on the bus. The scene inspired my "Blue Roses Tattoo" story here on Literotica. The first GM book I read was in college. Gordon Merrick's The Lord Won't Mind.
 
Having a lot of brothers and sisters there were many secret stashes in my house and I found them all. My older sister had a great collection of erotica. Nothing I ever found again. Most formative one was a really steamy southern "Romance" called Rafaella with incest casually tossed in. Blew my mind at a young age. Another was one called The Cellar about a prim Victorian woman who is abducted to be bred by a pack of marauding man-beasts with gigantic penises. LOVED it.
 
I found a copy of Xavier Hollander's "How a woman loves to be loved," under my dad's Playboy stash in his closet. Each chapter had a different sex act which she would name accordingly, example, "A woman loves to be loved orally." I learned a lot from the lovely ms Hollander!
 
Given that the complete edition (which I believe goes to about 12 volumes) is chock-full of that kind of stuff, I think it's a rip-off that all kids get these days, at least in the US, is Aladdin.

I knew it as "1001 Arabian Nights" but never read it. I was curious and my mother told me (more or less) what it was about. I wonder if the library might have had it. If they did, then she would have let me read it.

The ballet based on Aram Khachaturian's "Scheherezade" is usually pretty erotic.
 
I found a copy of Xavier Hollander's "How a woman loves to be loved," under my dad's Playboy stash in his closet. Each chapter had a different sex act which she would name accordingly, example, "A woman loves to be loved orally." I learned a lot from the lovely ms Hollander!

I think she is best known for "The Happy Hooker."
 
Having a lot of brothers and sisters there were many secret stashes in my house and I found them all. My older sister had a great collection of erotica. Nothing I ever found again. Most formative one was a really steamy southern "Romance" called Rafaella with incest casually tossed in. Blew my mind at a young age. Another was one called The Cellar about a prim Victorian woman who is abducted to be bred by a pack of marauding man-beasts with gigantic penises. LOVED it.

You know, I'm gonna find that second book you mentioned, sounds fun.
Btw, did you know your username is the name of a perfume I'm dying to find? Ugh, the terrible boutiques here...
 
Letters to Penthouse was what i remember finding first also. Then I stumbled across a 1970s pulp paperback that was as explicit as anything on Lit today. I was a senior in high school and used it for an oral book report. :devil:

Even got an "A" for it. :D

.

Those pulp fiction paperbacks I found, several of them wouldn't even be accepted here at Lit. Several included golden showers and scat play...gross. There was even one I couldn't finish reading, I burned it that very night, it included molesting a baby...yuck!

And to think, B. Dalton Bookseller sold that kind of thing back in the '70s.
 
Roissy

Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
Story of O probably when I was a freshman in high school.

How did you find it? Did you like it?

I think I also read the Story of O around high school age. I enjoyed reading it. Two things I remembered was she was whipped between her legs, and she was marked with a brand. Around the same time I also read Fanny Hill.
 
Lol good luck! I've searched heaven and earth for it. If you find it, let me know.

Yes, I do, it's how I got my lit name, and it's a very intense perfume.


You know, I'm gonna find that second book you mentioned, sounds fun.
Btw, did you know your username is the name of a perfume I'm dying to find? Ugh, the terrible boutiques here...
 
Yes, my dad had Story of O and 120 Days of Sodom, also Justine, Fanny Hill, in a little porn collection, along with some Anais Nin, which I discovered in his study, when I was about 14. I think we shared a collection of Oui, Men Only and Viva magazines for several years (Viva was published by Guccione) until I started buying Penthouse and Forum.

Story of O was a sweet soft porn film late 70s, and Pasolini filmed 120 Days of Sodom in the early 80s, there's also a Japanese version, I think.

Any one read 'The Story of O'? Or watched / read '120 days of Sodom'?
 
My first erotic literature was the sight of bare boobs in old copies of the National Geographic.

My first erotic stories came after I started Latin. By half lit-legal age I could read Petronius' Satyricon in Latin, and Ovid's Ars Amatoria. I had no problem borrowing Latin books from the public library. If it was in Latin it couldn't be erotic, could it?
 
From the Tale of Young Nur and the Warrior Girl, The Thousand Nights and One Night (translated by Powys Mathers): "...As soon as the girl saw that she was alone with the handsome Nur, she rose up and stripped off her ornaments and her clothes until she was naked except for her hair. Then she sat on the boy's knees and kissed his eyes, saying: 'Eye of my soul, ....I give you all I have. Take my lips, take my tongue, take my breasts, take my belly, and all else.' Nur accepted this miraculous present and gave a still more marvellous one in return; so that, when they had finished, the girl, who was both charmed and surprised by his skillful generosity, asked him why his comrades had told her he was a virgin. 'But I was...' ..."

"Hearing all these poems, Kamar al-Zaman thought that there could be no doubt as to the intentions of the King, and decided it would be useless to resist any further. Also he was a little tempted to experience for himself this new fashion of which the poets spoke." - The Tale of Kamar al-Zaman and the Princess Budur, Moon of Moons.

My latest story was very much inspired by that story, and others from that translation :)
 
My parents had a lot of bookshelves. Eventually I discovered that in one particular shelf, behind the front row of books, was another row of stuff that they'd evidently decided was not suitable for children.

I think the dirtiest was Portnoy's Complaint, which is amazingly non-arousing for a book so full of sex.
 
It may have been part of the O level English Lit syllabus, but I couldn't swear to it, what with being allowed (form a very early age) to read whatever I could get my hands on as long as I put it down if I found it too upsetting.

Come to think of it, it was probably some bodice ripper or other.
 
Summer camp. Another kid who is as a hear older then me smuggled in a paperback called "The Kinky Girls.". It was a fictional compilation of case studies by a psychiatrist treating women with various sexual disorders.
 
My roommate one year had some paperbacks. Thinking only of fiction that was clearly labeled as such, that was my first encounter with erotic literature.
 
Back
Top