New Michigan Roll Call!

Mackinaw Mill Creek is a lot of fun..
Nice Lighthouse in Mackinaw to see.
Stop by the Dark Sky Park and see the stars..
Sturgeon Bay is a nice view
Camp at the Wilderness State Park
Go on a wine tour in Traverse City
Just some ideas that come to mind
I have always wanted to go to the Dark Sky Park! Adding that to the list along with the wine tours! Thank you for the ideas! My home in high school had a gazebo, the previous owner planted wine grapes and they grew like weeds year after year! Some of my best h.s. memories are sitting under the gazebo taking in the fresh smell. I can NOT wait for June, I hope the wine tours smell just like that, a blast from the past!
Saw your post Eric, I love route 2! We have spent lots of winters up that way snowmobiling, so looking for something new. Thank you nonetheless!

Hey Mitten peeps!! I am in the process of planning a 3-4day vacation for this June. One day will be exploring Mackinaw island, for sure. But I am looking for ideas for the other 2-3 days. I was hoping to hear of some unique spots that aren't overran with tourist like Mackinaw island. I was thinking the west side of the mitten. Any ideas?

A little farther south, Holland and saugatuc are very nice! Grand Haven is always a nice town as well

I have always wanted to go to the Dark Sky Park! Adding that to the list along with the wine tours! Thank you for the ideas! My home in high school had a gazebo, the previous owner planted wine grapes and they grew like weeds year after year! Some of my best h.s. memories are sitting under the gazebo taking in the fresh smell. I can NOT wait for June, I hope the wine tours smell just like that, a blast from the past!
Saw your post Eric, I love route 2! We have spent lots of winters up that way snowmobiling, so looking for something new. Thank you nonetheless!

Saugatuc has an amazing winery called fenn valley... FYI

Thank you, Mike! I googled Leelanau Peninsula and the first thing that popped up was "Wine Trails"! I'm in!! :)

I hope it proves to be everything you hope for. And if you get a chance to stop at a place called Boones Prime Time Pub, do so. Fantastic food and spirits.

Don't know the name of the spot but it's just south of the dunes. Off the beaten track was a small inland lake that has busted into Lake Michigan. The lake itself has a beach and you can walk around it and go to the beach along Lake Michigan. We stopped on the way home once and really wished we had just skipped the dunes and spent the whole day here instead. Neve have made it back but we've talked about going again more than once.

Boones Pub

I so agree on Boones Pub.. They have a Bloody Mary there that is a meal in itself.. Complete with slider burgers and all.. Its truly impressive to look at and devour!!!

I so agree on Boones Pub.. They have a Bloody Mary there that is a meal in itself.. Complete with slider burgers and all.. Its truly impressive to look at and devour!!!

Sounds fantastic!! *adds to growing list*

I went to the Detroit Zoo a month ago (on a day much like today), though there have been some improvements (The Penguinarium for instance), it's still a crappy layout with really bad signage.:mad:

Because of the nasty weather, I had the place to my self. The down side being — the animals were also scarce.

I prefer the Toledo Zoo, regardless of weather.

Toledo Zoo is great! We visit every so often.
The Detroit Zoo has had the same layout forever. I always make sure I can spend the whole day there or else its a waste of time. But the Zoos hours are stupid. I do like that they are adding more specialty events. I'd like to get drunk and chase those peacocks around! 😂

Zoo

Headed to the Detroit Zoo myself in August.. Any other pointers??

Headed to the Detroit Zoo myself in August.. Any other pointers??

The signs seem to be always a oriented "up", even if YOU are not facing that way. Takes a few to get situated.

If the animals are not OUT, try going around BEHIND the building (which might look like a pile pf rocks) the doors are sometimes back there, not obvious.
The Giraffes and Rhinos for example.

Kayak the Sturgeon River

Hey Mitten peeps!! I am in the process of planning a 3-4day vacation for this June. One day will be exploring Mackinaw island, for sure. But I am looking for ideas for the other 2-3 days. I was hoping to hear of some unique spots that aren't overran with tourist like Mackinaw island. I was thinking the west side of the mitten. Any ideas?

Just off I75 in Wolverine / Indian River

If you do make it to TC, try the Jordan River

A Contre

Toledo Zoo is great! We visit every so often.
The Detroit Zoo has had the same layout forever. I always make sure I can spend the whole day there or else its a waste of time. But the Zoos hours are stupid. I do like that they are adding more specialty events. I'd like to get drunk and chase those peacocks around! 😂

New penguin area. New bird aviary too

West village

Attention fellow Michiganders, I could use some assistance!

Imagine your a lifelong metro Detroiter who has friends coming from overseas for a week (late June/Early July). They'll be working downtown during regular business hours, but have left it up to me for their entertainment needs. (Ages mid 20s-early 30s).
If you only had four-five nights to plan a perfect "Taste of Detroit" - and surrounding areas, what would be on your list?

Try Pie Sisters

Atwater brewery

Cliff Bells has some wonderful '20s decor (and good eats)

And be sure to try the Q-line (a bargain for 142 million)

Detroit ice on Woodward. All charity also!
Great Lakes Coffee just a little farther down Woodward. They have a bar also but really good coffee

I haven't been to downtown Detroit in ages and I know it's changed a lot. I always associate Detroit with Coney's and Xochmilco.

For something different to eat, Detroit Vegan Soul is really good. It's in midtown area and not that far from downtown. The wait can be a bit for larger groups but well worth the wait

Back