Christmas dinner menus?

Oh like you guys have never full body tackled a chicken

Surely that's what butchers are for?

You walk in, point to the body parts of the species of your choice, tell them what bits you want removing, and they do it at a speed that makes your eyes water if you try to follow.

You walk in, point to the body parts of the species of your choice, tell them what bits you want removing, and they do it at a speed that makes your eyes water if you try to follow.

I ain't got butcher money. I grab those fuckers out of the yard. I go by who's pissed me off the most.

Beef olives! Now I'm going to have to go to the butcher at the weekend. They make the best beef olives.

Scott Rea

nuff said

Turns out when you live in a tiny beachside town, getting the biscuit things you need to make tiramisu is not so easy!

Ours will be pretty typical Sydney with a dry hot day forecast. Mainly seafood- big prawns, some yabbies, mebbe crab if they're good - Fish baked, probably, Barramundi.

Two tips. If you are cooking very small chickens, pheasants or other game birds in an oven put them in the pan upside down, then the breast meat won't dry out. You can flip them near the end to brown off.

We don't make Yorkshire pudding in summer but if you are, use about 25% buckwheat flour, definite flavour improvement.

Turns out when you live in a tiny beachside town, getting the biscuit things you need to make tiramisu is not so easy!

SAVOIARDI (LADYFINGERS)

quantity:30

INGREDIENTS
3 eggs separated
100 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar divided
a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice divided
the zest of 1 lemon grated
65 grams (1/2 cup) cake flour sifted
30 grams (2 tablespoons) potato starch
powdered sugar for dusting

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Prepare a pastry bag fitted with a round 1.5 cm (1/2 inch) tip.
savoiardi-ladyfingers
In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites, 50 grams (1/4 cup) of sugar and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice until stiff peaks form.
In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar, lemon zest, vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and salt until thick and light yellow.
Sift the flour and potato starch over the egg mixture and gently fold it in with a rubber spatula until smooth and well combined.
Gently fold in the egg whites.
Transfer half of the batter to the prepared piping bag. Pipe the batter into lines about 10 cm (4 inches) long, keeping distance between them.
savoiardi-ladyfingers
Repeat with the rest of the batter.
Sprinkle the cookies lightly with icing sugar. Let them rest for about 5 minutes and sprinkle again with icing sugar.
savoiardi-ladyfingers
Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes until lightly golden.
Let the ladyfingers cool for a few minutes then release them from the parchment paper, with a flat spatula, while they are still warm.
Serve the savoiardi immediately or store in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.

Ours will be pretty typical Sydney with a dry hot day forecast. Mainly seafood- big prawns, some yabbies, mebbe crab if they're good - Fish baked, probably, Barramundi.

Two tips. If you are cooking very small chickens, pheasants or other game birds in an oven put them in the pan upside down, then the breast meat won't dry out. You can flip them near the end to brown off.

We don't make Yorkshire pudding in summer but if you are, use about 25% buckwheat flour, definite flavour improvement.

I'm glad our generation have finally gotten over the Southern Hemisphere insistence on huge winter dinners for Christmas. I might try for baked fish next year ...

SAVOIARDI (LADYFINGERS)

INGREDIENTS
3 eggs separated
a pinch of salt

INSTRUCTIONS
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Prepare a pastry bag fitted with a round 1.5 cm (1/2 inch) tip.
savoiardi-ladyfingers
In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites, 50 grams (1/4 cup) of sugar and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice until stiff peaks form.
In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar, lemon zest, vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and salt until thick and light yellow.
Sift the flour and potato starch over the egg mixture and gently fold it in with a rubber spatula until smooth and well combined.
Transfer half of the batter to the prepared piping bag. Pipe the batter into lines about 10 cm (4 inches) long, keeping distance between them.
savoiardi-ladyfingers
Sprinkle the cookies lightly with icing sugar. Let them rest for about 5 minutes and sprinkle again with icing sugar.
savoiardi-ladyfingers
Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes until lightly golden.
Let the ladyfingers cool for a few minutes then release them from the parchment paper, with a flat spatula, while they are still warm.
Serve the savoiardi immediately or store in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.

Potato starch? I don't even know what 'cake flour' is!
... the ex is just bringing store bought ones from the big city.

I've done this with my turkey as long as I can remember, and the bird is always wonderful!! That backfat just melts into the white meat.
Don't forget to bend the wing tips back before baking to provide a built-in stand to keep the bird upright

I've done this with my turkey as long as I can remember, and the bird is always wonderful!! That backfat just melts into the white meat.
Don't forget to bend the wing tips back before baking to provide a built-in stand to keep the bird upright

I usually have some sort of liquid involved in cooking chicken. At the moment, it's cut up apples and cider, which the chicken cooked in, and then while it's rested, the apple/cider are then cooked down to make a gravy/sauce thing. Juicy meat with a hint of apple flavour, and a delicious accompaniment.

Potato starch? I don't even know what 'cake flour' is!
... the ex is just bringing store bought ones from the big city.

Potato starch makes the sponge lighter. Could probably be substituted by corn starch. Cake flour is just flour that has baking powder already added.

They're easy to make for when the ex can't bring store bought. :)

SAVOIARDI (LADYFINGERS)

INGREDIENTS
3 eggs separated
a pinch of salt

INSTRUCTIONS
savoiardi-ladyfingers
savoiardi-ladyfingers
savoiardi-ladyfingers

how fucking elite has this site become?
Ladies Fingers reciepe -

take one non male and an axe, chop off the fingers of either one or two hands, dependant on number of guests, blood lust etc, (will present housework complications at a future date)

fingers can be served as an alternative to prawn cocktail, or sausage surprise.

how fucking elite has this site become?
Ladies Fingers reciepe -

take one non male and an axe, chop off the fingers of either one or two hands, dependant on number of guests, blood lust etc, (will present housework complications at a future date)

fingers can be served as an alternative to prawn cocktail, or sausage surprise.

You're no vegan! :mad:

Back