Naoko's news, views and shoes thread

I popped into my butcher's today for some fillet steak. I had decided to cut it into smaller steaks myself, rather than get them to do it, for reasons I won't bother to go into.
"How much do you want?" the butcher asked, cleaning some of the fatty bit off the top of the fillet with a single scything movement.
"Oh, about six inches," I said.
He sniggered desperately.
"You do know how big six inches is, don't you?"
He sniggered some more and sent the boy out the back. He cut me the steak, and then he said: "Do you want a chair? You might want to sit down before I tell you how much this is."
"I know the value of six inches," I assured him, to further sniggering.
I tell you what, that was the nicest piece of meat that has come in my mouth for quite some time, oh yes it was :p:devil::cool:

I popped into my butcher's today for some fillet steak. I had decided to cut it into smaller steaks myself, rather than get them to do it, for reasons I won't bother to go into.
"How much do you want?" the butcher asked, cleaning some of the fatty bit off the top of the fillet with a single scything movement.
He sniggered some more and sent the boy out the back. He cut me the steak, and then he said: "Do you want a chair? You might want to sit down before I tell you how much this is."
I tell you what, that was the nicest piece of meat that has come in my mouth for quite some time, oh yes it was :p:devil::cool:

Good one, DrMiss.
:rose:

:D :D :D

:rose: :rose: :rose:

I've done it once on a horse. That was interesting, especially at a trot.

Been there, done that myself. A good time was had by all. :D

<chuckle>
Including the Horse ?

:D:D:D
HP, you are so naughty! You know bestiality is not allowed around here ;)

You are naughty too, Ogg and TxRad :eek: The mind boggles! as for other bits ... I shall not give a detailed account of the sensations :devil: (There wouldn't be a dry seat in the house.)

:D:D:D
HP, you are so naughty! You know bestiality is not allowed around here ;)

You are naughty too, Ogg and TxRad :eek: The mind boggles! as for other bits ... I shall not give a detailed account of the sensations :devil: (There wouldn't be a dry seat in the house.)

There are several meanings to bareback riding. :D

I don't recommend it on an elephant. The hairs on the back of an elephant's neck are like so many sharp needles. I was seeping blood from multiple punctures.

'Kay, I have come in here (<snerk> - you know what I mean! and if you thought I meant anything else, you have a dirty mind. OK, you are on here, so of course you have a dirty mind.)

Anyway, I was saying .... I had to come and post in here, for once not making lots of insinuations ... well, OK, one or two - but with an actual literary tale. I know, I know! C'mon, we are called Authors' Hangout.

For many years. I mean MANY years, like three decades, I have wanted to go to Hay-on-Wye. I have wanted to go ever since, as a young woman, I started reading about some mad scheme to start a bookshop in the middle of the countryside, at a time when people were still buying a lot of books but had a feeling books might not be so common in the future, and if you did buy a book it was usually a spanking new one. Not spanking in that sense ... now, don't start again!

And of course, the secondhand bookshop in a sleepy town on the Welsh/English border was a HUGE success. A ludicrously huge success, completely contrary to the general trend of things in the literary world. The more I heard about it, the more I wanted to go. But even when I moved down here, I couldn't drive at first. Public transport to Hay is of course really complicated, plus I had the Piglet. I didn't want to go to a secondhand bookshop town with a small person who wasn't much interested in dusty copies of Edwardian detective novels (Ah, R. Austin Freeman, such delicate and sweetly romantic stories :heart:)

The first time I went to Hay-on-Wye, I wanted to go ALL ON MY OWN. So today, I went.

It takes about an hour to go there, but it takes me about two hours. One and a half was driving along the Heads of the Valleys road that practically goes from my doorstep - which is kinda fun in itself. Half an hour was spent because I thought I should check the tyre pressures before I went. And then some prannock wanted to go into the car wash, which meant I had to pull out of the air-hose bay, and then when I backed in again I drove over two of the dustcaps to the tyres :rolleyes: which I had carefully placed on the ground by the tyres so I would be able to find them again when I had finished - and I did find them again, but they were squashed flat. So then I had to go to the little bits and pieces motorparts shop round the corner and spend 50p on two new dust caps, and drive all the way round the block again because you can't turn left onto the Heads of the Valleys Road at that point.

Diving up into the Valleys is like driving through a softer version of the Welsh/English tv series Hinterland. (If any of you are fans of Nordic Noir and have not seen it yet, rush out to buy the DVD - it is deliciously mournful, with lots of sweeping shots of North Wales scenery.) You go through the former industrial mining villages, and then you shoot out over the tops and suddenly there is a view all down the valley to Brecon before you - you catch your breath, it is so beautiful.

The signage in Wales can be a bit ... absent, especially if the place you are going to is somewhere that is popular with English tourists. I was a little worried in case I got lost, but I passed the Three Cocks Coaching Inn, and knew I was alright. (Seriously :D - google if you don't believe me.)

When I got to Hay, it was of course Market Day. The car park was rammed, and there were lots of people loudly saying: "Oh, I knew we should not have come on a Thursday, I only wanted to go to the Post Office," in order to show everyone that they are locals not book-buying English tourists.

But I was delighted that it was Market Day :cathappy: It was total MILF heaven there. Not only were there of course a lot of secondhand bookshops :heart:, there were also lots of shops selling mugs with chickens and pheasants on them, and stalls in the market selling Alpaca knitting wool, and antique Welsh woollen blankets, and new picnic rugs and all sorts. And I was able to go to the post office first, and post some letters and a parcel to my brother in Vietnam, containing a chess piece from John Lewis (the set he had bought from their Edinburgh store had two white Queens and only seven white pawns, so they very courteously and quickly arranged for me to get a replacement pawn for him from the Cardiff store), and some novelty erasers for his kids.

I bought a teapot, and a bar of Scotch Whisky chocolate, and a massive chunk of locally made fudge. I had a cunning plan. I don't get paid til tomorrow, so I didn't spend as much as I would have done if I had just been paid :cool: (Even if I had just been paid, I would hesitate to spend £350 on an antique Welsh blanket.)

Yes, yes, of course I bought some books! :D Not very many. I know that Hay books are totally over-priced and you can get a much better deal on Abe Books. But you can't go to Hay-on-Wye and not buy any books.

I bought a little pocket copy of a book on fishing. Here you can see me pointing to the section on 'Sexy Fish'.

attachment.php

The lid of that jampot says 'Savour the moment' - and I did.

That other book is very special. Thirty years ago, as a student, I lived in the rambling Edwardian mansion of a very eccentric old lady, the widow of a Chemistry Professor. (It was a very large house, and I feel entitled to call it a mansion as it had two staircases - which is the technical criterion for a mansion.)

The Chemistry Professor had been a keen detective novel reader. At one point, my sleeping place was in a little corner by some of the mahogany shelves of his old books. Imagine how wonderful that was! I would go to bed on a mattress on the floor, and just be able to put out my hand and pull out some dusty old pre-war story which I would avidly devour, just like I suppose he must have done.

My favourite was AEW Mason's No Other Tiger. It was a dreadfully romantic story, about a stiff-upper-lipped Englishman who was so in love with this ditzy girl, but didn't have the courage to say anything - although he was a very courageous hunter of tigers in India and places of course. She fell for someone who was just OBVIOUSLY a bounder, the kind of person who drinks their own bath water. And he never says anything! he stands by her and is always there for her until ... but I mustn't spoil it for you *sniffle*.

For all of these years, I have thought about that book. Before there was the internet, and Amazon, and Abe Books (yes, my child, there was once such a time, when dinosaurs roamed the land and I was young), I used to think I might be able to go to Hay-on-Wye and find that book.

So I was wandering through the first of the bookshops that I went into, I had picked up the silly little book on fishing. It was a shop full of little nooks and corners and winding staircases, just what tourists probably think a British secondhand bookshop should be like. And I casually looked under 'M' on the shelves of novels and saw ... No Other Tiger.

I shan't say what I paid for it, because Ogg will tell me off and say he has got three copies he could have given me for free! and I know I could have got it for a quarter the price on Abe Books. But, honestly, I had to buy it. It has that hilarious and adorable dust jacket too.

I also bought a copy of Arthur Ransome's Secret Water v. cheaply from a market stall; I commented to the stall holder that when they made the film, they had to change one of the girls' names - you can't have a children's film with a character called Titty nowadays. Although he said he thought it was a fine name. I stuck my bosom out and said, I thought so too.

I have had a lovely day today!
:cathappy::nana:

Attachments

• Hay on Wye 1.jpg
    Hay on Wye 1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
There are several meanings to bareback riding. :D

I don't recommend it on an elephant. The hairs on the back of an elephant's neck are like so many sharp needles. I was seeping blood from multiple punctures.

:D:eek::D

Ogg, you adorable DEVIL!

'Kay,....

I also bought a copy of Arthur Ransome's Secret Water v. cheaply from a market stall; I commented to the stall holder that when they made the film, they had to change one of the girls' names - you can't have a children's film with a character called Titty nowadays. Although he said he thought it was a fine name. I stuck my bosom out and said, I thought so too.

I have had a lovely day today!
:cathappy::nana:

I loved and still enjoy the Swallows and Amazons. And also wonder about Titty's real name - Letitia? Titania?. Back in the day I copied the maps from the inside covers of the library books I took out. I still have the one I copied from the first in the series, but can't seem to find the one I made of the Secret Water book. Now I have some reprints of the series, but alas I don't think they have a North American Region 1 version of any of the films they made.

The bookstores sound like great fun. Your whole trip sounds really fun.

I loved and still enjoy the Swallows and Amazons. And also wonder about Titty's real name - Letitia? Titania?. Back in the day I copied the maps from the inside covers of the library books I took out. I still have the one I copied from the first in the series, but can't seem to find the one I made of the Secret Water book. Now I have some reprints of the series, but alas I don't think they have a North American Region 1 version of any of the films they made.

The bookstores sound like great fun. Your whole trip sounds really fun.

Copied and pasted from a fan site because although I knew she was based on Mavis, I didn't know why the real Mavis was called Titty:

Titty is based on Mavis Altounyan, third-oldest/third-youngest of Arthur Ransome's young friends in the Altounyan family.

Mavis's nickname was not an abbreviation of Laetitia, but comes from a children's storybook called Titty Mouse and Tatty Mouse.

Last edited:

So I was wandering through the first of the bookshops that I went into, I had picked up the silly little book on fishing. It was a shop full of little nooks and corners and winding staircases, just what tourists probably think a British secondhand bookshop should be like. And I casually looked under 'M' on the shelves of novels and saw ... No Other Tiger.

I shan't say what I paid for it, because Ogg will tell me off and say he has got three copies he could have given me for free! and I know I could have got it for a quarter the price on Abe Books. But, honestly, I had to buy it. It has that hilarious and adorable dust jacket too.

A E W Mason was being naughty with his title. He assumed that readers would be aware of this doggerel about an earlier scandalous author:

Would you like to sin
With Elinor Glyn
On a tiger skin?
Or would you prefer
To err
With her
On some other fur?

three-weeks.jpg

Last edited:
Hay on Wye and the Three Cocks Inn.

When I was trading as a secondhand bookdealer I used to sell books in bulk to some of the shops in Hay on Wye. My prices were lower than theirs - low enough with the fellow dealer's discount for them to buy my books and make a profit selling in Hay on Wye.

Back in the 1960s I went pony trekking (OK, OK, Og had to have a bloody large horse because no pony would stand my weight) in the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons. The Three Cocks Inn was a favourite lunch time stop when on horseback.

At the time the Welsh Police didn't prosecute drunken pony (horse) riders. I thought that Welsh beer was low on alcohol content so my lunch, apart from food, was multiple pints of beer. The ponies (and horse) used to get annoyed by our frequent dismounts for toilet breaks on mountains where there were NO toilets. Unlike in the 18th Century it was considered ungentlemanly to pee FROM your pony in mixed company.

Only those riders who couldn't remount without assistance were considered drunk. Of course that never happened to Og. I was usually the person pushing the drunk rider back on to a pony.

I have paddled to HoW down the river, then got very drunk on cider and chips. The chip shop bizarrely closes at like 9pm, when presumably respectable locals are home abusing their sheep.
I concur that there are some lovely little shops but it's all a bit strange too. You can buy a dolphin shaped prayer chime as tractors thunder past and in the next shop buy a tweed shirt and matching tie.
But you missed the best bit: Lord Hereford's Knob. No visit can be complete without ascending to the top of the knob. Maybe next time?

Naoko, letter received with thanks but note on outside about where it was posted fell flat. There was NO postmark. I assume it was posted in Hay-on-Wye.

Naoko, letter received with thanks but note on outside about where it was posted fell flat. There was NO postmark. I assume it was posted in Hay-on-Wye.

Really!!! I am disappointed in the Royal Mail.
It was indeed posted in Hay-on-Wye. Hopefully one day we can all meet up there, it seems practically perfect in every way for a Brit Lit jamboree - what with the Three Cocks Coaching Inn, Lord Hereford's Knob and more books than you can shake a stick with a knob on at. Plus the tweed skirt shops.
:cathappy::kiss::cathappy:

attachment.php

Hullo dahlinks
partly I have come here to reassure you that I am well, Piglet is well - and we have been making festive paper snowflakes as you can see.

Naturally I am over-worked and have more bizarre yet true manager stories to tell than even Ogg or HP would credit :rolleyes: And I recently went up to Glasgow to do a workshop on forum posting :D. Yes I am becoming an accredited expert on forum posting ;):devil: It was kinda strange because the workshop didn't quite go as I'd planned it, and it was also kinda fun because I ended up in a mini suite with a mezzanine bedroom, two tv's and complimentary humbugs. I usually have to go to at least one meeting with managers to get free humbug.

However, the main reason I put my head in here is that one of my friends passed away, and you guys would be the only ones to whom I could properly explain how I felt about him. He was pretty elderly - like 90 (seriously), and had become frail after making quite a good recovery from a broken hip a few months back, so it is not too surprising that he slipped away. But I will miss him :(

We met over tea and cakes in the WiFi cafe, where I used to take Piglet and her friend after school on Mondays. He used to go there on Mondays too, and we got chatting. He was a former art expert from museums. He knew about art, fine wines and told great stories so we got on very well.

He was also a dreadful Dirty Old Man. We used to flirt terribly. He was always very pleased if I popped round to see him wearing one of those skirts or dresses I own which have shrunk in the wash and are demonstrating considerable portions of quivering thigh. I think he did still do a bit of painting, but he once did bamboozle me into stripping for him by pretending he wanted to paint my portrait :D He used to get Madeira in for me too, which I thought was very funny (Ogg and HP will know why). He used to tell me off if I dated property developers, as for some reason he thought they were hairy around the hocks, but if I picked up someone like that fisherman I met on Plenty of Fish (where else! :D), or that builder who once played international rugby, he quite liked to hear about them :rolleyes:

Latterly he was quite poorly so he didn't come out to the cafe so much. I used to go round with a slice of cake if I had been baking, or fetch him specially nice things from the farmers' market now and then. Today I made shepherd's pie, and I did a small one for him which I took round. But sadly there was no answer at his house, then they told me in the cafe that he had passed on.

I will miss him - cheeky old sod.

Attachments

• Snowflakes.jpg
    Snowflakes.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
Dirty Old Man? Tell me you don't keep company with Dirty Old Men. Alas, all Dirty Old Men appreciate considerable portions of quivering thigh. Our favorite of favorites, unless it is totally nude.

I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like a guy after my own heart. ;)

:rose::kiss: Don't stay gone so long. You make us worry. Like you got married or something bad like that. I'll see if I can make up a new bumper sticker. "Dirty Old Men make the best of Friends."

As a friend of mine (who no longer walks among us) used to say: I was born a man, so I can't claim credit for that. Getting old just happened, so I can't claim credit for that either. But being dirty ... that was all my own idea. :)

Sorry to hear that you have lost one of your DOMs, Naoko. We survivors will just have to try harder. :rose:

As a friend of mine (who no longer walks among us) used to say: I was born a man, so I can't claim credit for that. Getting old just happened, so I can't claim credit for that either. But being dirty ... that was all my own idea. :)

Sorry to hear that you have lost one of your DOMs, Naoko. We survivors will just have to try harder. :rose:

I'm sorry for Naoko too. But if you want to get close to Naoko and whisper sweet nothings in her ear - beware! She likes expensive things like good champagne and great food. Cheapskate DOMs will fail. As a rugby player she has a good solid hand-off punch if you go too far.

Naoko, I suspect that your late DOM knew exactly what he was doing when he bought Madeira for you, and the association it would produce. He must have been very competent as a DOM to get you to strip for a portrait. I hope he is in a place where Madeira and willing young ladies are available for his delight.

Hullo dahlinks
partly I have come here to reassure you that I am well, Piglet is well - and we have been making festive paper snowflakes as you can see.

Naturally I am over-worked and have more bizarre yet true manager stories to tell than even Ogg or HP would credit :rolleyes: And I recently went up to Glasgow to do a workshop on forum posting :D. Yes I am becoming an accredited expert on forum posting ;):devil: It was kinda strange because the workshop didn't quite go as I'd planned it, and it was also kinda fun because I ended up in a mini suite with a mezzanine bedroom, two tv's and complimentary humbugs. I usually have to go to at least one meeting with managers to get free humbug.

However, the main reason I put my head in here is that one of my friends passed away, and you guys would be the only ones to whom I could properly explain how I felt about him. He was pretty elderly - like 90 (seriously), and had become frail after making quite a good recovery from a broken hip a few months back, so it is not too surprising that he slipped away. But I will miss him :(

Aww, I remember you talking about him. Sorry to hear that - but good to hear from you again.

Ye gods; a sighting of DoctorMiss and me with no camera to hand. :rose:
but it is wonderful to see you back me dear.
I don't think I'll ever qualify as a D.O.M.
But they might let me in the Union, if only on the grounds of advanced age. ;)

I'm so very glad to hear that both you and Piglet are well! :rose:

And I am very sorry to hear about your friend. I know how important he was to you.

- curl

Thank you everyone :( I do miss my friend.

Ogg is quite right. I can be very expensive! although I'm also of course highly unpredictable. I did once refuse to go back to his hotel with a man who offered to buy us a bottle of Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque if only I would, as I had a prior engagement for dinner with friends. As I remarked to him: "Men come and go, dahlink. [Well, one hopes they come!] But friends are forever."

On the other hand, I accepted a McDonald's takeaway in a van from my fisherman friend, as I knew he couldn't afford oysters and champagne - he did offer me his sole ;)

I have come back with a picture of pussy for y'all, and many kisses.
:kiss::kiss::kiss:

25396168_874005356114685_5566374003488671267_n.jpg

Back