Ghis (closed)

“I can only imagine the turmoil I’m about to go back to when we do finally return home.” Kate muttered. “But I believe I’ll be satisfied by the end result of this campaign.”
 
"You will find some Lords call you misguided for attending so fiercely to a lower noble who rules only a town and not a county, and some will call you mad for not declaring war on me for not controlling my Lords. And yet more will call this all a waste of resources, encouraging you to simply close the borders until I've dealt with Alba alone."
 
"They'll learn that I'm not that kind of queen." Kate said with a shrug of her shoulders. "And they'll learn that I intend to make alliances with any country, county, and lord that I wish. There's little that they can do to stop me, even if it makes them angry."
 
"You're what's needed to remind your lords that they cannot continue to plot and work only for themselves. They took advantage of Brian's illness, Gale's inexperience, and Marianne's mourning to spend years building up their own coffers and land deeds by any means they pleased. They must be reminded of where their power comes from- you. And who they serve- the people. They have upheld the barest minimum of responsibility for a long time, making winters hard on the common folk and letting villages fall apart. I have the same problem on the outer reaches of my lands, as does any monarch... Clearly I have spectacularly failed very recently. Between us, hopefully we can send a message to our nobles about responsibility, cooperation, and, of course, punishment for those who lift their blade against their fellows."
 
“Things will be very different for the both of us, Henry.” Kate said reaching out to place a hand on his shoulder. “And as long as we retain our friendship, I’m sure we can put all of those wayward lords in their place.”
 
"We will certainly see." Henry sighed before returning to his work.

It wasn't til the next day that new information came from southeast of Rothbury, as about half of Ashien's chase unit returned with a wagon carrying two of their own dead. The rest were wounded, except for one of Kell's men who was escorting them and came to report to Kate and Kell both.

Kate was out watching the Axemen do some light training while they awaited orders, Durban and Boar overseeing them all as Brogan spoke to a few. Qira, who hadn't been doing well after his scrape with assassins, had been officially put on bed rest by Kell's healer Fawkes, so Kell was with Kate most of the time. And when he wasn't, she could assume Lyra was near.

Kell was reading over a coded message, leaning on a wall beside Kate when the small black Fox from Ashien's unit came to them. "Your Majesty," he murmured. "I bring news from Sir Ashien."
 
“You are free to report if you feel it safe.” Kate said, her eyes never leaving the axemen as they trained, her hands resting on her claymore as she waited for her uncles to finish so that she could have her time with them as well.
 
"Sir Ashien has clashed with Alba's elite guard, but lost two men and several were wounded. However, he steered Alba away from the coast, and Alba seems to be headed for Berwick, north of here on the border. He may either intend to seek aid there, or he may attack your lord at Foulden just across the River Tweed. We have sent word ahead with the fastest riders Lord Ashien had, a defense should be ready at the river on the Foulden side, but there is no guarantee Berwick will either take the warning seriously, or believe Alba is a threat."
 
Kate turned her attention towards the fox then, pondering what had just been said. They had a chance to cut Alba off before he got to Berwick and was able to make a stand there. Glancing towards Kell, she gave a nod of dismissal to the fox and sent him back on his way.

"If we leave now, we might be able to cut him off before he disappears into the wooded areas between here at Berwick." Kate said to her husband. "Or Berwick might attack us directly for simply being Scottish."
 
"We can trap him against the river if he tries to cross, Foulden will be ready. And as far as I know, Berwick is loyal to Henry. If we go with Henry's banners, we should be alright. I'll start rallying if you're certain."
 
Kate turned her attention back towards her family and the axemen. This was their chance to end this entire situation with strategic action. Her uncle Ashien had already suffered a loss to his own men, but if they could stop the retreat to Berwick, more might be saved.

"Give the order." Kate said, turning to look at her squire as he tended to her bow and the fletching on her arrows a short distance away. "My horse is to be ready in the hour."
 
Michael immediately wrapped up his work and shouldered her equipment to take to her horse, darting off without a word. He still wasn't much for talking, especially not to Kate or Kell, but he did as he was told.

In the meantime, Kell stepped away from Kate, his voice rising above the din of the training grounds. In seconds, men were gathering to collect their equipment, and within minutes, horses were being saddled and brought out.
 
As Kell got their men prepared to leave, Kate took the opportunity to meet with Rothbury one last time. His children had left that morning on their way to Manchester, away from the troubles of their parents for a while. As she stepped into his office, she paused for a long moment as she caught the forlorn look on his face.

"I know this has been difficult." Kate said, knowing that he still had his issues with the Scots. "And it won't get better any time soon. We will be leaving today to find Alba and I'm sure Henry will decide soon on your wife's fate. However, I want you to know that my husband has sent protection along with your children. They will stay with them for the foreseeable future until you deem it safe. All you need to do is send word to him or I that you wish for that protection to be gone and they will be."
 
As Kate entered, she'd find Rothbury simply sitting in his desk chair staring at the blank wooden surface of the desk. Glancing up, he seemed drained and exhausted, and he took a long moment to reply.

"In all honesty, milady, I don't fear for their physical safety. I fear that my wife will spout some poisoned words and encouragement to them, and especially my eldest might turn against the crown trying to serve his mother or, depending on what happens, avenge her. I don't want her to ruin their future. But if I know the man Alba's become, he may drag Amelia down with him. And I'm fine with that. I wouldn't mind if they went to the chopping block hand-in-hand. In fact, some part of me hopes they do. So best of luck to you, bring some peace to this godforsaken border land."

He stood then, stepping around the desk to shake Kate's hand. "And if you get the chance, congratulate Alba for me on successfully stealing my wife away. Should they not be executed, I'd love to attend their wedding at the Tower of London." While it was dry and sarcastic, it was proof that Rothbury had a bit of humor left, and could see that this outcome, while not wholly good, was best.
 
"Henry would be more than happy to take her off your hands." Kate said as she took his hand and shook it, looking up into Rothbury's gaze. "Be honest with your children. It might hurt for a moment, but in the long run, they will be much better off."

Kate spoke with honesty, thinking of her own experiencing upon finding out that Brogan was not her biological father. It had blown her world apart, but now that she understood the entire situation, she could see it in another way.

"And they'll find their way back to you if they ever decide to stray. Your daughter is yours no matter what." Kate said with a small smile on her face. "And your boys are smarter than you give them credit for."
 
"Thank you." Rothbury gave her a nod. "I'll have a talk with my children... I'm sure they'll come to understand. You have more pressing matters to tend to. Best of luck. England is better for your friendship, and so too will be Alba's former holdings."

As Kate's forces gathered to leave the small English county, so too did most of Henry's. A few of his people stayed behind to aid Rothbury in recovering from the recent disruptions. The outgoing armies were on the road by noon, beginning the March north to where Alba was last seen.
 
Kate led her forces like a proper queen, riding at the lead as she conducted her business on horseback. There were plans to trap Alba, to starve him out if he resisted. She would not let him do what he had done to her lord ever again. Henry supported her plans, which made her feel better about the situation. It would be difficult to implement, but she knew it was for the best.

"Once we get there, I want to know all of the weaknesses of the city." She said to Kell, glancing over at her husband as he rode next to her. "The ins and the outs, all of the escape routes. He won't leave her under his own power."
 
"I doubt Foulden has allowed his forces inside, so hopefully we can trap him inside and separate them. Those mercenaries need to be dealt with anyway," Kell said with a nod. "We have men riding ahead already to tell Foulden to lock everything down. If he isn't inside the city, Foulden and Berwick won't give him any shelter now, and we'll trap him against the River Tweed and the ocean shore."
 
“This needs to end, Kell. I’ve been gone from Edinburgh far too long.” Kate muttered knowing that she might very well return to a kingdom in ruins as her lords ran amok in her absence. “If I am even still queen, I will be very surprised.”
 
"Scotland isn't that unstable, love," Kell reminded her quietly. "Besides, Warwick could probably hold your throne on his own. None of those lords have the courage to challenge him on their own."

The entire entourage was at double march, eating up the distance to Foulden and the river where Alba had last been seen crossing. Messengers and scouts were constantly galloping ahead, others from previous hours and days returning occasionally to report.
 
“Your neck isn’t the one on the block, Khelt.” Kate muttered as he said that her kingdom wasn’t that unstable. “All it takes is one loud voice and this all crumbles.”
 
Kell reached out then with a concerned hand on her shoulder. "Kate. I understand the concern, I do. But be careful. Don't let yourself give in to paranoia." All he could think about at that was what had happened with previous, paranoid rulers, especially Kate's own grandfather. He kept a close eye on Kate after that, knowing the assassin attack had shaken her, but worrying that it had left some major lasting damage.
 
“I’m not paranoid, Kell. I’m simply realistic.” She said as she looked over at her husband. “I know things might be fine but I would be a fool not to think about the downside.”
 
"Just don't get caught up in the downside. I need you to enjoy your life alongside being realistic. The political coups are my domain, love."
 
"I just have to trust that you won't let me go through a coup." Kate said as she Kell assured her that he would never allow her to dissolve into pessimism. "We will fight them all if that's the case."
 
Back
Top