Your Garden 2017

I'm in a new growing environment now so this year will be pure experimentation. My herbs will go in pots, and I'd like to get my mushroom logs producing this year. We will probably put some melons in the raised garden bed that the old owners put in. Maybe some sunflowers for looks.

I love sunflowers 🌻 :heart:

No gardening here. i will, however, be cleaning up the front of the house. The previous renters left old Halloween stuff, rotted pumpkins, dead mums. It'll get done this week.

We spent about 8 hours this weekend cleaning up the yard. Filled up 13 big yard bags with leaves and cuttings. There's more to do but it's starting to look presentable. Sadly the lemon and the mandarin trees didn't survive the two days of winter we had so I need to figure out what to plant in their spots.

I was going to skip starting a veggie garden this year so didn't start any seeds but after a quick trip to Home Depot I had a change of heart. It's too late to start from seeds though so I'll just get a few easy to grow plants. Definitely less tomatoes than last year and more herbs.

Nice B)

Yea it's easy to overdo maters but they are some of the fun ones to grow.

I like peppers a lot too.

No gardening here. i will, however, be cleaning up the front of the house. The previous renters left old Halloween stuff, rotted pumpkins, dead mums. It'll get done this week.

Oh nice...I do all my decor shopping during Halloween, particularly after sales. :cool:

A friend has a few of these. She grows veggies and herbs, but not herb in them.

Nice...looks like a pretty efficient package.

I've seen people making various DIY versions for years, but they have always been for some sort of loony-ponics system.

Inch by inch, row by row
Gonna make this garden grow
All it takes is a rake and a hoe
And a piece of fertile ground
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumbling down

(I like singing a lot better than getting my hands dirty. Anyway, what's with you people?! I don't hold with this newfangled nonsense about growing plants outdoors! Vegetables should be left to grow in supermarket bins like God intended!)

We just moved to a new piece of ground and I'm trying not to let my big plans get away from me.

The previous owners put in some sort of bramble fruit and grapes; and some fruit trees of unknown variety. They also have bulbs of some sort all over the place. There are also maple and walnut trees on the property.

I have strawberries and garlic from starts, onion sets and seed potatoes, asparagus roots for next year.
I bought all those in early March so hopefully they're still good.

I started tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and artichokes but I always have trouble with them getting leggy. I really should invest in a grow light or two.

This weekend I'll start everything else like beans, squash, melons, corn.

Then Mother's Day weekend I'll transplant everything and start the direct sow stuff like carrots, bunching onions, radishes, lettuces and kale.

The only thing I 'd like that I can't find is horseradish root.

In the future we'll probably do more fruit trees and I'd like to do more premaculture type stuff.

Nice, container gardening has it's perks. :)

The bastards!!! :mad:

Damn rodents are always a threat....especially the long legged ones like deer.

Ohhh the shroom log sounds way cool.

Do you seed them with open spores or do you put plugs in??

I've been using plugs, safer to know I'll get results that way.

A friend has a few of these. She grows veggies and herbs, but not herb in them.

That looks really cool. Although I wonder if anyone would come knocking on my door if I ordered it.

Nice B)

Yea it's easy to overdo maters but they are some of the fun ones to grow.

I like peppers a lot too.

Thank you :)

Yup, definitely planting peppers again.

All this gardening stuff is still pretty new to me. Lots of trial and error. Mostly error though. :cool:

We just moved to a new piece of ground and I'm trying not to let my big plans get away from me.

The previous owners put in some sort of bramble fruit and grapes; and some fruit trees of unknown variety. They also have bulbs of some sort all over the place. There are also maple and walnut trees on the property.

I have strawberries and garlic from starts, onion sets and seed potatoes, asparagus roots for next year.

I started tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and artichokes but I always have trouble with them getting leggy. I really should invest in a grow light or two.

Then Mother's Day weekend I'll transplant everything and start the direct sow stuff like carrots, bunching onions, radishes, lettuces and kale.

In the future we'll probably do more fruit trees and I'd like to do more premaculture type stuff.

Wow. That's a lot! How big of an area do you use for all your veggies?

Nice.

Sounds like you've got quite the patch.

Permaculture is way cool, I'm working on getting mine all set up right.

I've been using plugs, safer to know I'll get results that way.

I've been looking and I like that idea too, they won't wash off.

Spores I suppose are for the more controlled environments.

Thank you :)

Yup, definitely planting peppers again.

All this gardening stuff is still pretty new to me. Lots of trial and error. Mostly error though. :cool:

That learning curve is steep in Texas, pretty hostile climate of one kind or another in most of the state. You'll get your garden sorted eventually :)

That learning curve is steep in Texas, pretty hostile climate of one kind or another in most of the state. You'll get your garden sorted eventually :)

The ants don't help either. They killed my zucchini plants last year. Ate the stalks.

Drip irrigation?

Yup. But on really hot and dry days I usually water extra by hand.

The ants don't help either. They killed my zucchini plants last year. Ate the stalks.

Yup. But on really hot and dry days I usually water extra by hand.

Oh yea I don't miss those lil fuckers....fire ants are totally Br00tal.

Easily one of the worst things about TX is fire ants.

Water at night!

This is good advice^

My Mason bees arrived in the mail today. One of the cocoons hatched in transit.

They are very cool little bastards, and I'm excited to watch them do their thing in the garden this spring!

http://crownbees.com/spring-bees-summer-bees/

Oh cool...I let my neighbors deal with that LOL but they are cool.

Water at night!

set the soakers at 3am.

my yard has no extra water. only by hand irregularly. if it can not make it, it does not deserve to live. i do need to set up a grey water irrigation system for runoff water. at least for the primary beds.

set the soakers at 3am.

my yard has no extra water. only by hand irregularly. if it can not make it, it does not deserve to live. i do need to set up a grey water irrigation system for runoff water. at least for the primary beds.

I only water the shit in the pots.

Or, new grass.

Oh yea I don't miss those lil fuckers....fire ants are totally Br00tal.

Easily one of the worst things about TX is fire ants.

And now we have those little black crazy ants too. Maybe they're called sugar ants. I dunno but they eat everything. At least they don't bite...

And now we have those little black crazy ants too. Maybe they're called sugar ants. I dunno but they eat everything. At least they don't bite...

they don't like orange!

get an orange oil garden spray for the base of your plants, and anywhere you find their trails. that helps deter sugar ants coming into the house as well. it won't hurt the plants.

Back