Bethothed.....

At her first question he smiled and nodded. Her second question was a nice offer. He would like hunting. It would also give him a look at the land around the village. "I would let ye go just like that. If I do like ye, it may not be easy, but I would go if ye were still not interested. As fer hunting tomorrow, I would like te go with ye and explore some o' the countryside."
 
Brinna nodded her understanding and looked out over the loch, then up at the stars.. not trusting just yet her voice, or her thoughts for she didnt want to give anyting away just yet.

Andrew MacKay was a far different man then many others she had met, it wasnt really a question of liking him for she already did, the question was if he were the one for her, how would she know... 2 days didnt seem like hardly enough time to decide such a thing, but he was a man of honor and his word that she could tell already.

There were roomers farther south of another invasion by the english and she still expected an attack from her last suter for sending him on his way as it were.. but for now the invasion by the english was just that roomor..

Looking back at MacKay she said.. I am fer me bed the hour grows late.. i shall look fer ye on the morrow then, and i'll bid ye a good night.
 
He watched her as she thought for a moment, then smiled as she looekd back at him. She then bid him goodnight. As was custom for gentlemen in the presence of a lady, he took her hand and kissed the top of it softly, bowing slightly to her. "Goodnight Lady Brinna. I'll see ye on the morrow. I hope ye have pleasant dreams." He let her go back inside and spent a few more minutes outside before returning to his chambers. He prepared for bed and then climbed under the covers.
 
Brinna had returned to her chamber and her old nurse helped her with the ties in the gown before finding her own bed.. Brinna however was unable to find rest just yet, and added another log to the fire in the harth of her chamber..

Pulling a book from the shelves in her room she sat and begain to read to try and turn her thoughts away from a certin highlander who if she wernt carefull would most likely give in and walk down the isle to meet.

Closing the book with a snap unable to focus on the words she tryed not to think of the sensations that his lips had caused just by kissing the back of her hand... she hadnt even known it was possable to stir such feelings from so small a thing.

Standing she put the book back on the shelf and found her bed, and dreamed but in her dreams it was more than her hand he kissed..

She woke the next morning, and dressed in her leggings tunic and vest. Her short sword was belted at her side, never even tho she knew the forrest would she go into them unarmed. Making her way down to the kitchens she had a light lunch prepaired that they could eat while hunting..

Once done there she stopped by the armory to gather her bow and quiver of arrows, then made her way out to the stables , seeing to there horses and lunch as well as what ever else they may need were prepaired and ready.
 
Andrew woke the next morning and prepared himself for the day. He dressed in his kilt and a simple shirt. He sharpened his sword and strapped it to his back. He also sharpened his Sgain Dubh. He placed it in his right sock with the bone handle sticking out the top. He prepared his bow and made sure his arrows were sharp. Once ready he went to get a morning meal. He got some food from the kitchen and sat in the dining hall. He ate and waited for Brinna to find him.
 
Once done assuring herself that all was in ready for them she made her way to the hall to see if he had awakened yet so that they could break there fast before leaving. Seeing him at table pleased her, but also caused her to think of her dreams in the night and suddenly she was glad to be across the hall and not right there just yet..

She took a deep breath and cleared her thoughts before walking ove and joining him. Mornin.. may i join ye? she asked
 
Andrew noticed Brinna enter the hall and smiled at her. She seemed to pause for a moment before moving closer to him. He smiled at her once more. "Of course ye may join me. So, are we leavin' right after we finish eating? I don't think it should take me too long to get my horse ready." He was starting to get a bit excited to explore the land a little.
 
Brinna sat down and awncerd his question while she begain filling her trencher.. Aye we leave once we've done breaking our fast.. and i hope ye can keep up with me.. She said smiling so that he would know she only teased him with her comment and ment no insult what so ever..
 
Andrew listened as she joked about him being able to keep up with her. He smiled and laughed a little. "Is that a challenge? Ye should know that highlanders ne'er avoid a challenge. Ye should also know that I've got a very fast horse. So ye will have me right on yer heels the entire time. An thats only because I don't know where te go." He grinned at her. He was ready for a little race with her, but knew he would lose anyway. He did not know the land and her horse was used to the terrain, his was not.
 
Aye tis what i am countin on and why i challanged ye.. So if yer done with breakin yer fast we'd best be on our way. she said grinning she knew highlanders never backed down from a challange... she herself rarely did.... She had not eaten much ether she never really did for breakfast.. Always needing to go here there or just ready to start the day.. but lunch and supper she at fairly well.. as things tended to wind down a bit twords the afternoon and evenings

Once he had finnsihed his meal she walked out with him to the stables. All is ready save fer ye ta saddle yer horse... i'll wait fer ye ta do so afore i go... dont want ta loose ye too soon.. she said as she mounted her horse smiling still teasing and keeping the conversation along this easy truce they had aquired for the time being..
 
Andrew grinned at her and quickly finished eating. Once done he followed her to the stables and laughed a little as she continued to tease him. "We'll see who the fastest is. We'll also see who the better hunter is." He quickly saddled his horse and made sure everything was set. He hopped up onto the horse and smiled at Brinna. "Lead the way."
 
Brinna didnt say a word simply grinned and as soon as he was mounted and they cleared the gates of the keep Brinna picked up speed heading on a path she knew would take them away from the village and was very rarerly travled so that no one would be injured by there race..

She kept her head low and murmerd to her horse urging him faster as she patted his neck Andrew MacKay as good as his word keeping pace with her easly.. Brinna Laughed enjoying the thrill of the race.. the wind in her hair..
 
Andrew watched Brinna head off and he follwed closely. He leaned over his horse's head and whispered in his ear. The horse followed on the heels of Brinna's horse. After a while he noticed they were on a distinct trail and he guessed that it would go on for a while. He ugrged the horse to go even faster. He was soon neck and neck with Brinna. "So, I thought you were going to lose me!" He then spurred the horse even faster. He took off past Brinna down the path.
 
Brinna laughed once more as the wind carried his words to her and urged her horse faster, so that they were neck and neck.. she shouted hoping he would hear her.. To The River!! Which was where they would end there race.. and allow the horses to rest a bit before hunting.. She couldnt pass his horse as it was indeed faster than her own but she was giving it a run for its money tho and keeping if not even then right on its heals..
 
Andrew noticed Brinna start catching him again. He faintly heard her yelling out about the river. He guessed that was where the finish line was. He immediately got his horse sprinting full speed down the path. He glanced back to see if Brinna was following close.
 
Brinna was indeed following close and laughed as he did indeed win the race to the river.. Vera good.. i conced ye win, tis a fine horse ye have there.. She said dismounting and leading her mount over to the water so that it could rest a bit after its run.
 
Andrew made it to the river and smiled at Brinna as she came in behind him. He leapt from his horse and forced himself not to say anything about his horse being from the highlands. He let the horse go to the water and moved to the river himself. He washed his face and looked over at Brinna. "Thank ye. Ye raced well. If ye had just sprinted sooner ye would have won. Ye are a skilled rider. It twas an honour to race ye."
 
Brinna smiled pleased by his responce and knelt down beside him to wash her own face in the river much as he had. Thank ye.. once the horses have rested a bit, i'll show ye a fair few places tis best around here fer huntin.. and mayhap well get lucky ta day.. she said looking over at him.
 
Andrew smiled and nodded at her. "Yes, hopefully we will find some game and ye can show me how good of a shot you are. In fact, how about another little competition? Whoever makes the best shot today wins. The best shot is one that is the most instantaneous kill. That would be head or heart." He grinned at her and wondered if she would accept his challenge.
 
Brinna continued looking at him while he spoke and nearly fell into the river as she laughed, but caught herself just in time.. Ohh Aye i'll accept yer challange, tho i should warn ye.. i rarely miss.. She said something in her tone tho jokingly said let him know she wasnt boasting by any means just simply being honest. Shall we then? she asked moving to gather her horses regins and mount.
 
Andrew smiled at her as she claimed that she rarely missed. That may be so, but whether that meant perfect placement of the shot in the beast, he would soon find out. Andrew usually hit his target, and he was known for getting the perfect shot every so often by chance. He wondered if luck would be with him. As she got up and moved to her horse he did the same. He mounted his horse and watched Brinna. "Lead the way."
 
Brinna lead the way pointing out some land marks here and there to him that would help him find his way if ever they happened to get seperated while hunting.. Tho she enjoyed teasing him she would not lose him on purpose forrests even ones well known can always hold danger, and should not be taken lightly. One never knew what clan was fighting with whom or when one decided to raid another..

Most of the ride was silent save for the things she pointed out here and there to him.. then in a glen not far ahead there were 4 deer.. two does a fawn, and a young buck, could be seen threw the trees Brinna dismounted. Where she was knowing she could move even more easly and quietly threw the branches and foilage that way with out scaring them off.

Bow in hand and quiver over her sholders she lodged and arrow into her bow so that it was ready to fire once she was in range.
 
Andrew followed close behind Brinna. As they went through the countryside he made a mental map of the area, noting the terrain. He focused closely on remembering the landmarks she pointed out. He figured if they got separated she would look for him at the closest one, and if not, meet him back at the town. After a while they saw four deer. He watched as Brinna dismounted. He grinned and prepared his longbow. He sent his horse walking slowly in a circular motion around the deer. He had saddled his horse so that nothing made noise as it walked. It would sound like a natural wild animal and have a smaller chance of scaring the deer. He also had a longer range than Brinna because he had a long hunting bow. It required more strength to fully draw back the string.

After a short while he found a perfect shot. There was just enough of a break in the tree for him to fire and hit the buck. It would not hit in a great spot, but it would weaken it enough for him to get a second shot, or for Brinna to hit it as it ran toward her. He drew back on his string and took aim. He calmed himself to steady the bow. He then released, sending his arrow flying through the air. It struck the buck in the side at a sharp ankle. If he was lucky it may have struck a lung, over time it would kill it, but they did not have time to wait. As the arrow was flying he drew another arrow from his quiver and set it on the string. The deer scattered, and just as Andrew had predicted, the buck ran toward Brinna, away from where it thought the danger was.
 
Brinna had sighted on the young buck and fired when the small heard started moving, she watched the deer go down her arrow in its heart, she quickly notched another arrow as the rest made there way her direction..

catching sight of the doe with an arrow in its side she took aim and brought her down the arrow between its eyes, the last doe and fawn turning and taking flight away from her and Andrew further into the safty of the woods. No a bad day two fer one.. she said smiling as she walked out into the clearing to meet Andrew and retreve her arrows.
 
Andrew watched as Brinna struck the buck and then the doe. He grinned. Her second shot looked as if it had been an instantaneous kill. He rode his horse slowly over to her and smiled as he saw her arrow in the head of the doe. "Nice shot. I guess ye win. Even if we do find more game, I'd not get a better shot than that. We did not agree on a wager, but if ye want, name yer prize." He leapt from his horse to retrieve his arrow from the buck. He wiped it clean and returned it to his quiver.
 
Back
Top