What are you fuckers reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a few years since I read it, but I re-read my review for A Little Life. I gave it a solid 4 stars. But I'm a hard grader.

Currently reading some pretty uninspiring historical fiction. But I'm craving a good can't-put-down thriller.

A recent book that really hooked me (even though it was nonfiction) was Bad Blood.

My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh. Hoping I enjoy this as much as her first one, Eileen. So far it's good.

Basically it's about a woman who decides to take a year off and just sleep, aided by a really dodgy psychiatrist and a shit ton of drugs.

Love and Other Consolation Prizes

About some Korean boy getting raffled off at the World’s Fair in Seattle. His winner owns an upscale brothel.

Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie. It's Leckie's tale of enlisting in the Marines shortly after Pearl Harbor, his escapades in training, surviving Guadalcanal and enjoying Australia after surviving Australia.
I'm about halfway through.
I seem to be bingeing on histories and first person accounts of war. I just finished 1942 by Winston Groom (the guy who wrote Forrest Gump) and previously read Recondo, a Vietnam-era book by Larry Chambers, and If You Survive by George Wilson, another WWII book, this set in Western Europe starting with D-Day.
There are more. You can buy these ebooks for about a buck or read for free, so bingeing is cheap, plus you get the added benefit of a deeper appreciation for the sacrifices made by Dad, Grandpa and Great-Grandpa.
That said, I figure to be done with Leckie at 9 p.m. Monday when the latest by GM Ford is delivered by Amazon.

Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie. It's Leckie's tale of enlisting in the Marines shortly after Pearl Harbor, his escapades in training, surviving Guadalcanal and enjoying Australia after surviving Australia.
I'm about halfway through.
I seem to be bingeing on histories and first person accounts of war. I just finished 1942 by Winston Groom (the guy who wrote Forrest Gump) and previously read Recondo, a Vietnam-era book by Larry Chambers, and If You Survive by George Wilson, another WWII book, this set in Western Europe starting with D-Day.
There are more. You can buy these ebooks for about a buck or read for free, so bingeing is cheap, plus you get the added benefit of a deeper appreciation for the sacrifices made by Dad, Grandpa and Great-Grandpa.
That said, I figure to be done with Leckie at 9 p.m. Monday when the latest by GM Ford is delivered by Amazon.

I listen to book podcasts and this one was discussed this past week. It may not be cheap yet as I think it just came out, but it got rave reviews so far. I plan on picking it up myself at some point.

I listen to book podcasts and this one was discussed this past week. It may not be cheap yet as I think it just came out, but it got rave reviews so far. I plan on picking it up myself at some point.

OMG I have to have this in my hand now. Have you read In Harms Way by Doug Stanton? Fabulous book.

I always yearned for a good film but nothing tops Quint's speech. The Nicholas Cage film the other year was pretty terrible, I just kept worrying all that black hair dye would run in the water. I remember an old TV movie with John Boy and Stacey Keach, that wasn't half bad actually.

OMG I have to have this in my hand now. Have you read In Harms Way by Doug Stanton? Fabulous book.

I always yearned for a good film but nothing tops Quint's speech. The Nicholas Cage film the other year was pretty terrible, I just kept worrying all that black hair dye would run in the water. I remember an old TV movie with John Boy and Stacey Keach, that wasn't half bad actually.

I will have to add In Harm’s Way to my list. I only became interested in this type of story after Erik Larson’s “Dead Wake” about the sinking of the Lusitania. I’ll read anything that man writes.

And sadly I gave up on Nicholas Cage movies a couple years ago. It seemed like like he was taking any role offered to him, and not playing it well.

Young Patriots - Charles Cerami

It's about Madison and Hamilton and how they worked together to give us the Constitution and the government's separation from the Church.

51XpZWz02ZL.jpg

Finished this a week or so ago. I liked it. An interesting take on vampires and a good mystery too.

My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh. Hoping I enjoy this as much as her first one, Eileen. So far it's good.

Basically it's about a woman who decides to take a year off and just sleep, aided by a really dodgy psychiatrist and a shit ton of drugs.

Jesus this is weird. Don't bother unless you get it for nowt.

Just finished a better-than-average reincarnation book The First 15 Lives of Harry August. Think "Angela's Ashes" meets "Groundhog Day".

A guy keeps getting reborn on a certain day in 1925 and all the memories of his previous lives come back to him at age 4. He has 15 tries to stop The End Of The World.

Bastard publisher hooked me onto the author's next book by including the first two chapters, so now I am reading "Touch"

Hi. I just found this thread. I'm really excited I found it. I just finished reading Red Card, by Ken Bensinger. It's about how the IRS and FBI built up its case against corruption within FIFA. I just finished it as the World Cup was going on. An excellent read.

Last edited:
Just finished a better-than-average reincarnation book The First 15 Lives of Harry August. Think "Angela's Ashes" meets "Groundhog Day".

A guy keeps getting reborn on a certain day in 1925 and all the memories of his previous lives come back to him at age 4. He has 15 tries to stop The End Of The World.

Bastard publisher hooked me onto the author's next book by including the first two chapters, so now I am reading "Touch"

That sounds a good 'un Bobbleknob, I'm tempted. Reminds me a bit of Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. That was a cracking read too.

I think I have this one, but haven't read it yet.

Hi. I just found this thread. I'm really excited I found it. I just finished reading Red Card, by Ken Bensinger. It's about how the IRS and FBI built up its case against corruption within FIFA. I just finished it as the World Cup was going on. An excellent read.

Sounds good. On my "to read" list.

Just finished waters edge, pretty good a little twist in the plot, but fast easy reading, kind of a nice read not one of those stores you have to remember every detail i would recommend, plan on reading more from this author.

Jeff VanderMeer’s Annihilation. “New” weird fiction. A bit dry but suitably mysterious, and an interesting presentation of an unreliable narrator who herself is aware of and forced to consider many possible ways, objective and subjective, internal and external, in which she’s unreliable.

https://encrypted-tbn0.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUIpvJkbLfjOe8LKWIXLO1Ax03j8aMn9nz7cspu5tCjQ2CQfwy

A chuffing good read with stacks of reasons to lob it onto your next fire:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back