July 2015 Challenge: The Imitation Game

Tzara

Continental
I'm currently reading Mary Oliver's A Poetry Handbook for a class I'm taking this summer and she has some interesting things to say about imitation as a learning tool for poetry writing. For example:
...in the world of writing it is originality that is sought out, and praised, while imitation is the sin of sins.

Too bad. I think if imitation were encouraged much would be learned well that is now learned partially and haphazardly. Before we can be poets, we must practice; imitation is a very good way of investigating the real thing.​
So considering it's about time for another challenge and that people like to guess who wrote what so much, let's try a challenge where there are two things to guess for each entry.

Here's the challenge: Write a poem that imitates another poet. I'm not so much thinking of a parody of another poem, but write something that tries to imitate the style of the poet (and even a particular poem), while being your own work. Submit each entry--as many as you care to write--to me via PM along with the name of the author you are trying to imitate (as well as the text of or a link to the poem you are imitating, if you are imitating a particular poem). I will post the imitations without attribution on another thread, as has been done in the past, and everyone can try and guess not only who wrote each poem, but what poet they were trying to imitate.

You're welcome to imitate anyone--famous poets like Yeats or Eliot, or Lit poets. It will probably work best if you try to imitate someone/some poem that is very well known, as otherwise guessing who is being imitated will be too difficult.

In the next post, I'll give an example of what I have in mind, from an exercise I did several years ago.

Time frame and deadlines: Send me your submissions anytime before 12:00 PM PDT on July 17 (basically three weeks from now). I'll post the lists of who wrote what and what they were imitating after that.

So channel your inner Coleridge (or Frost or Plath) and get on it. To quote Martha and the Vandellas: Summer's here and the time is right for dancing in the street.

The responses to this challenge are in a separate thread found here.

Last edited:
OK, here's an example of the kind of thing I mean. One of the exercises in a class I took several years ago had us read a poem by James Wright and then try to write our own poem emulating his style and technques. The original poem was this one:
Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy’s Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota
James Wright

Over my head, I see the bronze butterfly,
Asleep on the black trunk,
Blowing like a leaf in green shadow.
Down the ravine behind the empty house,
The cowbells follow one another
Into the distances of the afternoon.
To my right,
In a field of sunlight between two pines,
The droppings of last year’s horses
Blaze up into golden stones.
I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.
A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
I have wasted my life.

Source: Above the River: The Complete Poems and Selected Prose (1990)
The poem I wrote in response was this:
Climbing the Redoubt at American Camp,
San Juan Island, Washington

The path turns up, to left, to right,
the switchbacks marked by spiders' webs
dew-bright in early sun. Clinging
grasses whisk our legs, trail
damp and sticky seeds
on jeans and shoes. In middle distance
a freighter tracks the strait away
from dawn, heading for the open
sea. In this cold clear air my sight
is all the way to Canada. Below,
on the thin gravel beach,
a yellow dog runs down a stick
thrown by his solitary master.
There is no afterlife.​

I think I've done this wrong, does the new poem have to have the same elements of meaning as the original?

I think I've done this wrong, does the new poem have to have the same elements of meaning as the original?
No, not at all. It simply needs you to emulate or mimic a poem or style, or simply be inspired by it, in a way that makes your poem your own.

I'm thinking maybe I should just say you post another poem, write your poem inspired by it and we guess who you are, rather than try and guess the influence.

That's probably too obscure.

So, revision: Write a poem inspired by another poem (be it a famous or not-so-famous poem, or a Lit poem, or something else). Send me your poem and the one that inspired it. I'll post both, leaving your name off your poem.

Or something like that.

No, not at all. It simply needs you to emulate or mimic a poem or style, or simply be inspired by it, in a way that makes your poem your own.

I'm thinking maybe I should just say you post another poem, write your poem inspired by it and we guess who you are, rather than try and guess the influence.

So, revision: Write a poem inspired by another poem (be it a famous or not-so-famous poem, or a Lit poem, or something else). Send me your poem and the one that inspired it. I'll post both, leaving your name off your poem.

Or something like that.

Ive been writing like that almost the whole time ive been here trix's strangers in a strange land thread which sort of busted was similar except here we are trying to emulate another poet as well as be inspired.

Im in time permitting.

Or something like that.

Ive been writing like that almost the whole time ive been here trix's strangers in a strange land thread which sort of busted was similar except here we are trying to emulate another poet as well as be inspired.

I'll see what I can possibly come up with. This is one of the things that actually keeps me from reading much poetry, I find myself subconsciously (unconsciously?) cribbing phrases and stylings from the other author instead of letting them wash through me and give me muse-like inspiration for my phrasing my own words, concepts, and imagery.

:cool:

Or something like that.

Oh good I've done one stanza will have to finish it now!

Can't say I'm much of a poetry reader when it comes to the realm outside Internets forums.

Or something like that.

How many entries per contestant?

Can I just check that you got mine, Tzara?

Des! Hello stranger :kiss:

Do we have a ringer in our midst once more
Will an angel be given wings to fly
With what grace do folks like me
Tromp fearlessly behind
Leaders of what's left of man's
Heart and soul and mind
To forge new paths o'er broken ground
And live beyond our time

Here's what the response thread will look like. I will (slightly) reformat the poems to have titles in bold, author name (of the source poem) in italics or, if the source poem is referenced by a link, the title in quotes followed by the author name in italics, like this:

Challenge Response 1

Source Poem:
In a Station of the Metro
Ezra Pound

The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough.​
Response Poem:
On the Sideline of the Rose Bowl

These fans are red-faced, bloated, really loud;
Beer cans spilled and empty in a row.​

or

Challenge Response 1

Source Poem:
"In a Station of the Metro," Ezra Pound
Response Poem:
On the Sideline of the Rose Bowl

These fans are red-faced, bloated, really loud;
Beer cans spilled and empty in a row.​

Sometime after the close of the challenge (probably about a week later), I'll add the author names to the response poems.

If you have any special formatting requirements or preferences, please let me know in your PM.

i'll see what i can wheedle from the muse if she's not on her summer holidays :)

des, great to see you taking part as well as our other regulars:cool:

Tzara, Trix, Butters - I feel embarrassed by your warm welcome considering I am hardly ever here. It's just I had a piece long ago written which matched the criteria to a tee, so I couldn't resist.

'I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.'

:eek:

Tzara, Trix, Butters - I feel embarrassed by your warm welcome considering I am hardly ever here. It's just I had a piece long ago written which matched the criteria to a tee, so I couldn't resist.

'I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.'

:eek:
Don't be embarrassed. The more responses the better.

In fact, please write two or three more. :cool:

Don't be embarrassed. The more responses the better.

In fact, please write two or three more. :cool:

Yes, what Tzara said. Write something new, too! (Says the person who can't seem to write anything more poetic than a grocery list right now.)

Back