Dylan Nobel?

I certainly find Dylan more interesting than other pop songwriters ( save for Joni Mitchell and Steely Dan), but mentioning him in the same breath as Keats is just incompetent. There is a difference between "pop art" and high art. I don't expect the Nobel Committee to get that, but I hope someone does. I found Mr. Ricks' comments to be vapid. YMMV.

High art :D :D

Really, is it that elitists??

I have no real care either way on the topic, however, referring to poetry as high art, is in my opinion ridiculous...

Though I wouldnt know a poem from a pop song, have the education of a spastic oragutan so wouldn't actually know what I'm talking about, but yeah

High art is rich

'High Art'

'High Art' is a concept much beloved by the aspiring classes of a society who usually don't have the confidence to admit what they genuinely appreciate. Its chief characteristic is the steadfast exclusion of proles, their values, their culture - usually whilst claiming to do the opposite.

'High Art' is bollocks. ;)

'High Art' is a concept much beloved by the aspiring classes of a society who usually don't have the confidence to admit what they genuinely appreciate. Its chief characteristic is the steadfast exclusion of proles, their values, their culture - usually whilst claiming to do the opposite.

'High Art' is bollocks. ;)

Like I said, YMMV. For me, "high art" is art that provides the beholder with a revelatory experience about what it means to be human. If you ever visit a big city that has an art museum, go and look at a Rembrandt to get a sense of what I mean. Or perhaps you might watch the documentary film, "From Mao to Mozart." Or since the subject of John Keats came up, have you ever read one of his poems? For him, Hope and Change were not empty words.

In a way, I'm disappointed. I would have preferred "impolite and arrogant," as an indication that Dylan took a dim view of the Nobel committee and some of the appalling prizes they have given out during my lifetime. But hey, who is going to turn down $900K? Money doesn't grow on trees nowadays.

Bob Explained Himself in 1965

i am convinced that all souls have
some superior t' deal with/like the school
system, an invisible circle of which no one
can think without consulting someone/in the
face of this, responsibility/security, success
mean absolutely nothing. . . i would not want
t' be bach. mozart. tolstoy. joe hill. gertrude
stein or james dean/they are all dead. the
Great books've been written. the Great sayings
have all been said/I am about t' sketch You
a picture of what goes on around here some-